Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 02:48 AM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My benchmark is how I do with a 100% buy-and-die S&P 500 portfolio allocation, vs. any conceivable alternative... bonds, small-cap, international equities, Persian rugs, Greek banks, gold, pork-bellies or pet rocks (just to give a brief sample).

Every investment-scheme extols some form of diversification. Yes, many of the companies in the S&P 500 have international exposure, be it lots of sales that happen beyond American shores, or foreign suppliers, foreign real-estate holdings or whatever else. But these companies are by definition part of a benchmark American stock index. Most paeans to portfolio diversification say that we ought to hold some representation of companies that are listed on the London, Frankfurt, Tokyo and whatever other stock-exchanges.

Last year's story of a muscularly ascendant stock-market was really the story of three marquee indices: Dow, S&P 500 and NASDAQ. Those three are featured on the newscast-ticker in every airport or hotel-lobby in America. This year's story about a January run-up followed by correction/malaise, is also really the story of the three marquee indices. And for most investors, the Dow and NASDAQ are sideshows, since it is the S&P 500 that's the darling of index-funds, and not the other two.

So, who cares? Well, the basic idea, is that diversification beyond the S&P 500 benefits us in at least two ways: less volatility, and higher cumulative gains. There's all sorts of wisdom on the "right" mix of other kinds of equities, and obviously, there's no agreement about the right mix (if there were, the financial services industry would obviate itself out of existence). But there is something approaching agreement, that in general, we should NOT just be 100% in the S&P 500.

Well, my observation is that recent decades' experience does appear to favor a 100% S&P 500 portfolio. Is this a fluke?

Most people on this forum are Americans, based in America, investing American dollars. Fine. But this skews our perspective. If we were British, based in Britain, investing in British Pounds, presumably we'd be investing mostly our home-index, the FTSE. And instead of celebrating a pretty substantial gain since 2009, we would instead be lamenting how our marquee equity-index has gone nowhere for 20 years.

This is why I keep getting so frustrated! First, there's a big world out there, outside of America. Yes? Second, for Americans, it seems like willfully being oblivious, and ignoring that world, is actually a good investment strategy. It's not dumb, it's not benighted... it's actually quite profitable. It shouldn't be that way, should it? But it is. This is why I'm so frustrated.
diversification only benefits most of the time , return wise , not mentally , when the assets diversified in to have the same gain potential.

unless you are a good market timer odds are bonds will not equal returns on stocks over time so just holding bonds worsens returns most of the time .

harry brown found that once we go beyond the basic four as he called it there is little extra added by diversifying farther .

the s&p 500-long term treasuries -gold-cash

he never felt adding foreign stocks or bonds , commodities ,reits , etc added much to the basic 4 and only confused things as they reacted to the business cycle in an unpredictable manner .

once you add foreign you have so much more to worry about and there was nothing a weak dollar did for foreign stocks that gold seemed to not do .

so he believed in keeping things very simple and not add other layers of risk like currency exchange rates to the mix

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-08-2018 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
More likely a typo? That 2018 stole 16%
2018 isn't over yet and stole is past tense

Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 AM

7,651 posts, read 4,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtGibson View Post
Not all the time, but sometimes...

No matter how much research I do, no matter how perfectly the trade lines up...

Every now and then I get kicked in the teeth.

2008 stole 16% of my accounts.

...and I have a weird feeling I'm not the only one.
Nope, just you. Because God doesn't like you, and I think you know why.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
...cause he most likely doesn't exist? yeah, that's it.

Last edited by Thinking-man; 05-08-2018 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 12:16 AM

854 posts, read 1,706,048 times
Luck has nothing to do with investing. If you think so, you may as well go gambling in Vegas.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:32 PM

24 posts, read 21,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Because I still have a future?

Huh.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 PM

24 posts, read 21,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
...cause he most likely doesn't exist? yeah, that's it.
Strange. I must be a figment of your imagination...

Or a little too old for you to know what I'm talking about.

But I digress.

I've had better luck since finding a few MLPs.

But that aside, I'm going to stick with business.

Thank you for your words of encouragement everyone.

Last edited by KurtGibson; 05-17-2018 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: To say thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing