Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 02:25 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,932,969 times

Advertisements

In the long term, falling rates are still bad. It means we're spiralling into stagnation like Japan. I would much rather have 5% yields, even if that means major losses on fixed income. Those losses can be recouped with time. This constant yield decline is far more worrisome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 02:37 PM

106,793 posts, read 109,039,935 times
So far though it just seems to be greed ,fear and perception bringing yields down ...the economy is still quite good... with oil prices low I think we are okay ....we have not had a modern day Recession that did not have oil prices high on an inflation adjusted basis

Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,616,279 times
If oil is truly the mainstay for inflation (and it makes sense) we could see some shifts. If nearly half of oil is used for gasoline, with another fifth or so for diesel and heating oil and 15% or so for propane and jetfuels.....then ship oil and asphault after that rounding out the big uses of the stuff....then I wouldn't expect much of an increase in the near future.

While electric cars are still a sideshow...fuel efficiency in gasoline powered vehicles has really taken off. I have a full size hybrid Lexus. I fill it up maybe once a month. Even in commute traffic, I still get 30+ mpg...and i wasn't even looking at fuel economy when I went shopping. It's hit a tipping point and it's just happening. If we look at the top selling vehicle, the Ford F150, we see the diesel can now get nearly 30 mpg and the gasoline models range in the 20's. Nothing compared models build for fuel economy, but certainly better than a decade ago when the trucks were hitting the teens.

I think oil's had its peak. It's not coal, but with fracking and refining built in the US, there's enough swing demand now that the spikes of before are less likely now.

Even as I say that, I'm over in materials and banks waiting for the traditional late stage....but I really don't think I'm going to get it. This economy has positively purred forward. With enough central banks all scratching their heads trying to look at ways to sop up excess liquidity for balance sheet purposes to simply scare off any inflation.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:38 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,590,636 times
Other major banks are expected to follow Deutsche Bank which announced its restructuring yesterday.

"The collapse in long-term bond yields is bad news for banks which traditionally earn a margin by borrowing short-term and lending longer-term."

the curse of ultra low interest rates

Even junk bonds are now earning negative yields.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,725,963 times
I sense a rising anxiety soon to reach possible panic thresholds.

Has another 6 weeks passed again? The pendulum is swinging back towards fear.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
So far though it just seems to be greed ,fear and perception bringing yields down ...the economy is still quite good... with oil prices low I think we are okay ....we have not had a modern day Recession that did not have oil prices high on an inflation adjusted basis
With millions of Americans having work place savings plans and many of those being in 100% invested passive funds. Isn’t that money going in monthly with minimal concern about valuations?
The crisis is if people actually learn how to pull the plug on their workplace investing choices.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:14 PM

106,793 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
With millions of Americans having work place savings plans and many of those being in 100% invested passive funds. Isn’t that money going in monthly with minimal concern about valuations?
The crisis is if people actually learn how to pull the plug on their workplace investing choices.
investors Still control prices daily on bonds and stock regardless of money dollar cost averaging in. This is how markets work ...... investors bid rates lower ..in fact the fed fund futures were already bit down in to position before the fed even cut rates

Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I don’t think that most people would even WANT to “pull the plug”. Why would they?

Old 07-24-2019, 12:55 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,802,765 times
10 Year yield headed towards zero?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:28 PM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don’t think that most people would even WANT to “pull the plug”. Why would they?
Which cohort = "most" in the discussion?
As regards the retired (& close to), who will no longer have earned income (let alone decades) to recover with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing