Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 09:43 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times

Advertisements

The act of trading seems to ring that excitement bell and releases adrenaline and endorphins, and if that's what is happening, then it almost doesn't matter whether the outcome is positive or negative, since the resultant chemical release by trading something is the real goal.

Words used to describe investing in index funds such as 'boring' and 'not exciting' show an underlying drive that is emotional, not fiscally-motivated. It's not about the money, per se, it's the activity in and of itself. This might be similar to how gamblers feel. The idea of walking away from the activity is abhorrent because the urge remains.

Arguments such as "no time to learn how to..." don't make logical sense since there's significant time being spent on the subject in general and looking for something to trade or short or discuss. The logical approach for someone who's busy with no time to learn how to do x or y or z is to take the easiest path to putting money to work so that money makes more money. But this isn't about logic.

It is disinterest and disdain in turning what feels fun into something with structure and rules and boundaries (because that's not 'fun'). Outcomes are being judged by how fun the ride was, and if the outcome results in no big loss and maybe even a gain, then that's meeting the real goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 09:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The act of trading seems to ring that excitement bell and releases adrenaline and endorphins, and if that's what is happening, then it almost doesn't matter whether the outcome is positive or negative, since the resultant chemical release by trading something is the real goal.

Words used to describe investing in index funds such as 'boring' and 'not exciting' show an underlying drive that is emotional, not fiscally-motivated. It's not about the money, per se, it's the activity in and of itself. This might be similar to how gamblers feel. The idea of walking away from the activity is abhorrent because the urge remains.

Arguments such as "no time to learn how to..." don't make logical sense since there's significant time being spent on the subject in general and looking for something to trade or short or discuss. The logical approach for someone who's busy with no time to learn how to do x or y or z is to take the easiest path to putting money to work so that money makes more money. But this isn't about logic.

It is disinterest and disdain in turning what feels fun into something with structure and rules and boundaries (because that's not 'fun'). Outcomes are being judged by how fun the ride was, and if the outcome results in no big loss and maybe even a gain, then that's meeting the real goal.
Oh it matters if the outcome is negative. In fact my entire strategy for the most part is to not take losses if I can help it. So once again, a whole lot of assumptions about me are in this posting, and a lot of them are wrong.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Oh it matters if the outcome is negative. In fact my entire strategy for the most part is to not take losses if I can help it. So once again, a whole lot of assumptions about me are in this posting, and a lot of them are wrong.
So what else was wrong in that post?

Old 02-08-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
So what else was wrong in that post?
This one:

I have other things to do with my life at night and on the weekends.
I'm not going to spend my time reading charts UNLESS I would someday decide to this this for a living as some of the others on this board are doing. Then it makes sense. Until then - it doesn't.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:59 AM

I don't read charts or do options or short stocks or any of that. It's not remotely my forté. The reality is being a successful trader requires involvement at least every week, using guidelines, following a plan, and having a baseline of technical knowledge to recognize and optimize outcomes and learn how to avoid shooting yourself in the foot, which is easy to do.

Alternatively, passive investing requires none of that. It is the logical path for folks who have other things to do with their lives and can't or don't want to spend hours learning trading. Passive investing isn't entertaining, but it's also not meant to be. It requires almost no time commitment and, as studies show, it works great the more passive the investor and being in the market over decades.

It comes down to what kind of investor an individual wants to be, how much time and interest they have to devote to their type of investing, and their goal.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I don't read charts or do options or short stocks or any of that. It's not remotely my forté. The reality is being a successful trader requires involvement at least every week, using guidelines, following a plan, and having a baseline of technical knowledge to recognize and optimize outcomes.

Alternatively passive investing requires none of that. It is the logical path for folks who have other things to do with their lives and can't or don't want to spend hours learning trading. Passive investing isn't entertaining, but it's also not meant to be. It requires almost no time commitment and, as studies show, it works great the more passive the investor is.
OK fair enough. It's whatever works.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:03 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,337,427 times
Quote:
This one:

I have other things to do with my life at night and on the weekends.
I'm not going to spend my time reading charts UNLESS I would someday decide to this this for a living as some of the others on this board are doing. Then it makes sense. Until then - it doesn't.
Read the book! It’s going to make this simpler.

I work 50 hours a week, have a toddler and don’t have tons of time either. I do enjoy chart reading now though because it makes more sense after reading the book. But the book will explain how you can do well, even if you only ever have 4-6 positions at a time. It doesn’t have to be complicated or a huge time commitment for those of us in the working world and full personal lives. I will only ever have 10 positions as this is as much time commitment I can swing for managing my account.

Please don’t take my comments to you as rude. They were merely trying to help you stop majoring in the minors as I like to say. There are ways to invest smartly and do well as long as you have capital risk management strategies (the book makes this so simple too!). You’ll feel more confident about individual stock investing if you know why you’re entering a position and knowing EXACTLY where you’re exiting if the trade goes wrong (you decide this before buying every trade).

You just need to adjust your thinking a bit and open your mind a bit.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-08-2021, 11:11 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
The act of trading seems to ring that excitement bell and releases adrenaline and endorphins ...

Words used to describe investing in index funds such as 'boring' and 'not exciting' show an underlying drive that is emotional, not fiscally-motivated. ...
This, together with desire to make a philosophical statement and to be proven "right", is a common (universal?) motivation... Moxie's point is an excellent one, describing the investment-world and the money-world overall, regardless of whether there's whiff of accusation against one or another specific person.

I continue to marvel, how in most avocations, gaining knowledge improves our results, whereas in investment, it does not. If I know more about power-tools and different woods and methods of clamping and glues and cuts and so forth, then my woodworking prowess improves, and the resulting furniture is prettier and more sturdy. Learn more --> gain more! That holds in, well, nearly everything. Do you play chess? Well, almost certainly your tournament-results will improve if you study opening-theory, games of the masters, midgame tactics and so on.

... but in investment, the knowledge--> outcome implication doesn't seem to work. The gaining of more knowledge, only seems to confuse us, luring us into more exotic investments and more speculative decisions, in belief that now we "know" something and therefore better understand the risks. We may nor may not. But we don't seem, in the aggregate, to do better.

The breaking of the knowledge --> outcome implication is caustic and crushing of our spirits! What are we, idiots? Such feeling really really hurts... so we scramble to make amends, to do some thing drastic, aching to be clever. But... does this help or hurt?

Old 02-08-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Read the book! It’s going to make this simpler.

I work 50 hours a week, have a toddler and don’t have tons of time either. I do enjoy chart reading now though because it makes more sense after reading the book. But the book will explain how you can do well, even if you only ever have 4-6 positions at a time. It doesn’t have to be complicated or a huge time commitment for those of us in the working world and full personal lives. I will only ever have 10 positions as this is as much time commitment I can swing for managing my account.

Please don’t take my comments to you as rude. They were merely trying to help you stop majoring in the minors as I like to say. There are ways to invest smartly and do well as long as you have capital risk management strategies (the book makes this so simple too!). You’ll feel more confident about individual stock investing if you know why you’re entering a position and knowing EXACTLY where you’re exiting if the trade goes wrong (you decide this before buying every trade).

You just need to adjust your thinking a bit and open your mind a bit.

Good luck to you!
No problem lewdog. Your comments were fine. Some of the others, and those people know who they are, were quite rude. What gets me is we have some people on here who are "experts" but will find themselves working until 70 to pay for all of their toys. Is that really the way to go? I'm getting out of this rat race as soon as I can.

I am reading the Minervini book. It's not bad so far and maybe I'll pick some additional info from it.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:34 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
No problem lewdog. Your comments were fine. Some of the others, and those people know who they are, were quite rude. What gets me is we have some people on here who are "experts" but will find themselves working until 70 to pay for all of their toys. Is that really the way to go? I'm getting out of this rat race as soon as I can.

I am reading the Minervini book. It's not bad so far and maybe I'll pick some additional info from it.
I agree. I came here a long time ago in the hopes of getting some good advice but when I read the putdowns and insults toward others who were looking for the same, I decided against it. There are lot of people who would like to learn from those with experience but when you're met with rudeness, it's difficult to ask. There are a lot of stock choices I wanted to share with some here, maybe for them to look at and possibly make a trade. Judging by my picks, they would have made some pretty good money. I too wish I had bought AMZN in '97 but, along the way I've bought and sold it. It's allowed me to buy other stocks. Now I buy stocks that pay dividends. Monthly dividends are especially nice.

Everyone has to start somewhere. We all didn't arrived with a boatload of cash. Not a darned thing wrong with investing conservatively, especially when you're supporting a family. Their well being must be considered first and foremost. I have some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing