Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM

75 posts, read 204,143 times

Advertisements

I would like to know from some in the "investment" buisiness if they think solar stocks are a good investment now in our current energy crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
not likely, but if you do very careful research and find an international company that has a long and successful presence + it meets the required financial fundamentals to warrant an investment, then MAYBE worth a 2-3% stake (of your total market centered portfolio) BUt it will be difficult to find a company with sustained growth. Check out the articles in Investor's Business Daily, and also their IBD 100. (at least they have done some fundamental research). There are probably some solar / renewable companies on that list, but I haven't screened it for that segment. They frequently have articles about emerging technologies and companies poised for growth.

Be Careful and of course never invest more than you can afford to loose.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Solar is not yet a viable alternative to electricity. I'm assuming you mean solar power, and not passive solar heating, which IS effective. Someday solar power may become a competitive technology, but it needs either subsidies (I hate it when anything needs to be subsidized), or it needs the competition - oil and coal - to lose their subsidies. As it is right now, somebody in high places is just making too much money on oil.

That said, why not invest in oil? You may not care for the technology, but the money is there to be made, and somebody will be there to take it - why not you?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Actually, we have the technology to make homes self sufficient with solar and wind power today. The technology is here now. we simply need to start expecting it in our construction. If home buyers required it to be included in the homes they seek you will see it quickly implemented. As the consumer demands the market fills the need, hence the evolution of what builders have placed in homes.
Demand is the basis to value as an investment... at somepoint the demand will be there when it is you do the math as to its value as an investment.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
The sun shines brightest around noon. Most people tend to use the most electricity around dusk. Can you see a problem? Batteries are expensive, inefficient, and don't last more than a few years, even with careful maintenance.

However, investments are best made based on the common PERCEPTIONS of investors, as long as you know when to get out.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,872 times
Default Solar Investing

I'm looking into green investments as a safer way to invest my money following the credit crunch for uk buy-to-lets. I'm interested in low entry deals and entry deals around 30-50k euros. I've looked into the countries that have the feed-in tariff in place with competitive financing options - germany has, however, currently sold out. Not interested in investing in stocks or funds.
Anyone got any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing