Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 12:31 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,309,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Also let it sink in that all of those personal freedoms we thought we had..... we really don't. The government can do pretty much whatever it wants.
In times of national emergency, yes. Study up on some of the emergency war powers acts that were enacted in World War II - food/gas/product rationing, internment of Japanese citizens, gearing up industry to produce war materials, forced aquisition of land and property for military use, etc. Whatever you may think of some of these things, they helped us win the war.

The US Constitution is sacred, but it is also not a suicide pact and makes allowances for national emergencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 12:42 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Two weeks ago this was about denial and "go about your business". The hope was it would just go away or would stay an Asian thing.

That was the time when they could have been stock piling tests and working on our own. When our own testing limitations came to light they could have bought a few million tests just to hold us over. This mistake will cost lives and make the spread significantly worse. We STILL CAN'T properly test. We also have supply issues at the hospital level.

That is a failing of the administration. They didn't take it seriously until the were forced.

Now I'll give credit where it is due. Trump has acted, at least in the pressers, much more presidential and serious this last week. This is a welcome change from a man that has acted mostly like a school yard ass hole most of his presidency. I support the bipartisan bills coming through and the stimulus offered. So kudos deserved for using his grown up persona the last week.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:47 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Where do I even begin. Laws against an individual driving drunk are certainly warranted. Closing down the entire country at their discretion is something else entirely. This is the kind of stuff you would expect to see in the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, or China. Not here.
I guess that I am a bit confused. I have been under the impression that you were a staunch supporter of the man at the top of the administration that is in charge of the situation.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:51 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
In times of national emergency, yes. Study up on some of the emergency war powers acts that were enacted in World War II - food/gas/product rationing, internment of Japanese citizens, gearing up industry to produce war materials, forced aquisition of land and property for military use, etc. Whatever you may think of some of these things, they helped us win the war.

The US Constitution is sacred, but it is also not a suicide pact and makes allowances for national emergencies.
You need to read up on American History -- the internment was of 70,000 Japanese Americans -- a shameful act that had no bearing on winning the war. If anything this is a case of egregious government overreach.

https://www.archives.gov/education/l...ese-relocation

From the end of March to August, approximately 112,000 persons were sent to “assembly centers†– often racetracks or fairgrounds – where they waited and were tagged to indicate the location of a long-term “relocation center†that would be their home for the rest of the war. Nearly 70,000 of the evacuees were American citizens. There were no charges of disloyalty against any of these citizens, nor was there any vehicle by which they could appeal their loss of property and personal liberty.

Because of the perception of “public danger,†all Japanese within varied distances from the Pacific coast were targeted. Unless they were able to dispose of or make arrangements for care of their property within a few days, their homes, farms, businesses, and most of their private belongings were lost forever.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:54 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
I suspect there are many who have never actually read the most important document there is for our country: The U.S. Constitution with the Bill of Rights.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:58 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,309,195 times
Quote:
You need to read up on American History -- the internment was of 70,000 Japanese Americans -- a shameful act that had no bearing on winning the war. If anything this is a case of government overreach.

https://www.archives.gov/education/l...ese-relocation

From the end of March to August, approximately 112,000 persons were sent to “assembly centers†– often racetracks or fairgrounds – where they waited and were tagged to indicate the location of a long-term “relocation center†that would be their home for the rest of the war. Nearly 70,000 of the evacuees were American citizens. There were no charges of disloyalty against any of these citizens, nor was there any vehicle by which they could appeal their loss of property and personal liberty.

Because of the perception of “public danger,†all Japanese within varied distances from the Pacific coast were targeted. Unless they were able to dispose of or make arrangements for care of their property within a few days, their homes, farms, businesses, and most of their private belongings were lost forever.
Yes, of course I am aware of the shameful internment of the Japanese, hence my disclaimer - "whatever you may think of these things". Of course I was referring to Japanese American citizens, and of I course the internment of Japanese American citizens was a tragic disgrace, I was merely pointing out that these things did happen. Most of the other provisions in the WWII war powers acts were of vital importance in helping us win the war.

Last edited by treasurekidd; 03-19-2020 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 12:58 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Big thanks to Jack Ma, head of Alibaba, who donated 1 million masks and 500,000 coronavirus test kits to the U.S. He is making kits and masks available to other countries as well. No cost.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:01 PM

672 posts, read 443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post

Yes because we've lost .0000001 of our population or some miniscule number like that.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:18 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
The bears are firmly in control
As it says, "Bears are in control." That's a fact today, even though averages are split - some up, some down.
I am treating rising stock prices as a bear trap, which is what I think they are. Some have rebounded strongly, but I think it's temporary.
For Example:
EXAS has announced that it is no longer sending salesmen into the field, and forecasts for 2020 are no longer applicable. The stock is up 22%.
NVTA is in San Francisco, where there is a lock down. So they can't work at all. Stock is up 30%.
Both those stocks, however, fave fallen far, far below their peaks.

This is madness. The bears will remain in control.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:49 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I guess that I am a bit confused. I have been under the impression that you were a staunch supporter of the man at the top of the administration that is in charge of the situation.
I'm a Trump supporter most of the time but not always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing