Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 02:16 PM

107,307 posts, read 109,675,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What would have happened had you lost your job?

I've been spending the past 8 years paying off cars and student loans, saving for a downpayment on a house and biluilding up a savings worth 1.5 years of household income. That is all pretty much done now and I've only been in the markets for about a year and a half, but stopped contributing a few months ago.
I did lose my job ...2x in my career .... but I also made sure I was always on my competitors radar ....I made sure I was a thorn in their side ...both times competitors hired me and it was my choice to stay out of work for 2-3 weeks before starting again.

I could have taken a 72t election from my ira if I needed money ...the investing over the years compounded higher and higher ...

It is a circle ..if you let your brain beat you up with all the WHAT IF , you WILL never invest for fear of loss ...

Those who want to succeed financially will find a way , the rest will find an excuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 02:19 PM

10,092 posts, read 7,300,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I did lose my job ...2x in my career .... but I also made sure I was always on my competitors radar ....I made sure I was a thorn in their side ...both times competitors took hired me and it was my choice to stay out of work for before starting again
Okay, you've got that the kind of job that enables that. If I lose mine I've got one shot a year to get hired again, and if I don't then I have to wait another year. So I need at least a year of cushion.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:21 PM

27,780 posts, read 28,891,688 times
Aw man, it just missed closing above 3000.

But good show.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Okay, you've got that the kind of job that enables that. If I lose mine I've got one shot a year to get hired again, and if I don't then I have to wait another year. So I need at least a year of cushion.
Like I said , if you let your brain control you , fear will make you a whole lot poorer

Old 05-26-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Then the problem isn’t Markets ...it is a poor choice of career or location or both.

You are trying to find fault with investing and markets but that isn’t the problem ..it is your career path

Old 05-26-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Then the problem isn’t Markets ...it is a poor choice of career or location or both.

You are trying to find fault with investing and markets but that isn’t the problem ..it is your career path
The education labor market is what it is. I don't control the political decisions of the calendar year. No one's in this to get rich, and so far I don't regret it (yet). I'm also not particularly concerned about stiock gains that might have been.

But people on forums like this think teachers are putzes anyway.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The education labor market is what it is. I don't control the political decisions of the calendar year. No one's in this to get rich, and so far I don't regret it (yet). I'm also not particularly concerned about stiock gains that might have been.

But people on forums like this think teachers are putzes anyway.
The point is that you keep finding faults in investing but the problem is not on the investing side

Old 05-26-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The point is that you keep finding faults in investing but the problem is not on the investing side
I didn't mean that exactly. But the people who benefit from investing are not people like me and never will be. Even if I were to risk every dollar I had in it, it would not fundamentally change my class status. I would still need a day job. So my priority is protecting the day job.

You and I ha e probably discussed this before. In 2007 I had just gotten out of the Army and put EVERYthing in had into mutual funds. Thought that was smart. Well I didn't count on 2008 happenning. I had to take out loans to survive a couple years because there were no jobs. Had I just held on to my savings I wouldn't have needed to go into that debt. The funds came back in about 3 years, but i the meantime I was in about as much debt as I had shares. The end result was more or less a wash. I learned from that to think of investing as gambling money. I should have put in maybe a third as much as I did.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:01 PM

The problem is you ran on myth and misinformation from day 1 ...because everything you listed as an objection and including your reference to gambling is false ....

There is a big difference between just market volatility and market risk .

The natural cycling of broad markets and funds is only volatility ...market risk comes from betting on individual companies or using long term money to meet short term obligations ....or trying to time the ins and outs ..

Like I said no one ever lost a penny in a 50/50 mix over any 10 or 20 year period .

We had 120 30 year rolling cycles for Retirement time frames ...with a 50/50 and a 4% draw you ended with more than you started 90% of them , 30 years later ...

Not having money to invest because you have little savings is a personal issue , not a market problem .

so in your case simply just saying you never had money to invest suffices ...but when you start with all these excuses about markets falling and gambling and all the other malarkey you try to convince either us or yourself with is just a lot of bologna.....

Markets have grown lots of money over typical accumulation and retirement stages for many of us ....

Because you can’t accomplish something yourself does not mean there is anything inherently wrong with what it is you can’t accomplish doing ,that is just mental masturbation.

This is In no way chastising you ...we get it , you had a hard time saving based on the career path you picked ....but I am saying what you try to hand us as reasons for not being invested don’t pass the smell test and the results most of us get from our 401ks and iras when we don’t exhibit poor investor behavior says long term investing works well

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-26-2020 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 05:28 PM

1,142 posts, read 583,289 times
Like I said no one ever lost a penny in a 50/50 mix over any 10 or 20 year period

should be your sig line if that was allowed here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing