Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 08:45 AM

896 posts, read 1,329,932 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that index funds occur yearly taxable events and ETF only occur when you decide to sale?

If you are holding in a normal taxable brokerage account account for the long term 20+ years. Is it that big of a deal or would ETF be better so year to year? So, I don't have to worry about gains. I just don't like ETF's because I'm investing a set dollar amount and I don't want to buy a whole ETF share every month. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 02:55 PM

107,273 posts, read 109,632,980 times
Etfs are a double edge sword ....they can create a massive tax torpedo to deal with down the road .

Mutual funds have to distribute capital gains yearly so besides taxes on dividends which both get you have capital gain distributions too .

Etfs can be more volatile since they are traded like stocks all day and can be sold short .

They can have a discount or premium to assets unlike the mutual funds ..there can be spreads between bid and ask ...

Etfs have had issues in volatile markets ..we had a flash crash where a popular etf DVY lost sync with its assets and traded down 35% while the assets were down 5% ...it took a few minutes to fix itself but investors got burned .

Fidelity lets you buy fractional etf shares but not all brokerages do .

Getting back to the taxes , etfs can be very tax efficient, but the negative is you can end up with 30 years of gains to pay taxes on if you want to make changes .

I totally went a different route for retirement in 2007 ....so being I had funds and paid taxes over the decades it was a painless change ...but if I had 30 years of taxes pent up in etfs I would have had to spread the changes over years ...I would have run right in to 2008 .

So no one can tell you what is right for you

Old 06-03-2020, 04:34 PM

7,513 posts, read 4,760,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Etfs have had issues in volatile markets ..we had a flash crash where a popular etf DVY lost sync with its assets and traded down 35% while the assets were down 5% ...it took a few minutes to fix itself but investors got burned .
Around when was this?

Old 06-03-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Around when was this?
Here you go

https://www.cavalierinvestments.com/...on-etf-trading

Old 06-03-2020, 05:27 PM

7,513 posts, read 4,760,461 times
Quote:
Thanks. It was August 2015.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:11 PM

896 posts, read 1,329,932 times
Quote:
Etfs are a double edge sword ....they can create a massive tax torpedo to deal with down the road .

Mutual funds have to distribute capital gains yearly so besides taxes on dividends which both get you have capital gain distributions too .

Etfs can be more volatile since they are traded like stocks all day and can be sold short .

They can have a discount or premium to assets unlike the mutual funds ..there can be spreads between bid and ask ...

Fidelity lets you buy fractional etf shares but not all brokerages do .

Getting back to the taxes , etfs can be very tax efficient, but the negative is you can end up with 30 years of gains to pay taxes on if you want to make changes .

I totally went a different route for retirement in 2007 ....so being I had funds and paid taxes over the decades it was a painless change ...but if I had 30 years of taxes pent up in etfs I would have had to spread the changes over years ...I would have run right in to 2008 .

So no one can tell you what is right for you
Thank you for that explanation. the way you explained it definitely makes sense. I think I'm going to do the index fund. I love how you can buy fractions. instead of waiting until you can afford one etf share. Also with the tax cost basis it definitely seems more logical to pay a few small capital gains over the years than 20yrs from now when the balance is much higher and get it with some massive tax bill.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:40 AM

One thing I want to add is that as mutual fund is priced at net asset value at the end of each day .

An etf always has a bid and ask price and also can sell for a premium or discount over net asset value .

With the etf version you will always pay a little more than nav to buy and get a little less than nav when you sell .

If there is an expense difference between the fund and the etf that can be lost in the differences between nav and what you pay in the etf .

One of those things we just don’t realize

Old 04-24-2021, 06:39 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,402,274 times
I like ETF's.
One reason is you can use can set the price you want to buy and sell at where as a mutual fund is sold or purchased the day you place the order.

So lets say you need to sell ETF's for this years income. You could set up several sales at increasing prices if the market is going up instead of sell a mutual fund at what ever the price was on the day you sold.

Remember the taxes you did not pay are also earning money for you.

Maybe do some of both?

Old 04-24-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I like ETF's.
One reason is you can use can set the price you want to buy and sell at where as a mutual fund is sold or purchased the day you place the order.

So lets say you need to sell ETF's for this years income. You could set up several sales at increasing prices if the market is going up instead of sell a mutual fund at what ever the price was on the day you sold.

Remember the taxes you did not pay are also earning money for you.

Maybe do some of both?
I like etfs for that reason too but those reasons can lead to some crazy price abnormalities as well as paying more for the etf then the shares are worth .

The short selling and high frequency trading adds to volatility as well.

At the end of the day paying more taxes later and less now may be better or worse for some ....etfs can create quite a tax torpedo at retirement.

I have an older s&p 500 etf in a taxable account .I would have liked to sell it and use the managed funds I do but there is so much in pent up gains that it could take years to sell it all without effecting my Medicare premiums and tax rates .

When I made changes in my models pre retirement I was glad I paid taxes in my managed funds along the way .

I revamped the portfolio totally for retirement from my growth model ...it was not to bad since taxes were paid along the way.

I try to keep as much of the assets that can have big gains in my ira ...things like Tlt , Gld and stocks can have huge gains

Old 04-24-2021, 09:34 AM

18,440 posts, read 15,893,493 times
Most funds (be they mutual or ETF) have times when they are paying divs and cap gains. I have a mixture of both.

The advantage of ETFs for me is being able to buy in at a price point of my choosing and an exit of my choosing, as one would with stocks. They also don't have the kinds of trading restrictions as mutual funds do. And their expense ratios *can* be lower, but that is not always true, so you have to compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing