Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you plan on doing this tax year?
Nothing, I trade to make money. Taxes aren't a major consideration. 5 23.81%
I plan on selling some stock losers to minimize gains I've had. 6 28.57%
I plan on selling some stock winners to take advantage of losses. 3 14.29%
I plan on selling some stock winners to avoid possibility of higher capital gains later. 4 19.05%
I will do normal harvesting, but do not expect tax changes for 2021. 2 9.52%
Other tax considerations are my concern. (please explain) 4 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 11:17 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i will gladly earn money in a taxable account too besides an ira and pay the taxes ..

many types of assets should be in a taxable account . tying up valuable space in a retirement account with fixed income at these levels is a waste of space
Yay for you. All of my money goes into retirement (tax deferred) accounts. Your income is much higher than mine, and therefore you have a much different situation.
I am not retired yet. You are. Your wasted space is not my wasted space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 11:20 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
I'm happy to take cap gains when I can since I have a long term carryover loss that I'd like to see gone.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:54 PM

454 posts, read 198,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Nobody can give tax advice on here, but I'd heard for most people they can write-off to the extent of their gains plus $3K of loss. You'd need to check with your accountant for your situation.
That’s how I do my taxes. Since I can’t give tax advice it’s the best I can answer the question. Thanks

Old 11-16-2020, 03:56 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yay for you. All of my money goes into retirement (tax deferred) accounts. Your income is much higher than mine, and therefore you have a much different situation.
I am not retired yet. You are. Your wasted space is not my wasted space.
Not about me or what I do ...it just boils down to what is good recommended planning tactics regardless of amounts .

As kitces points out

Given that recent research has shown effective asset location strategies can add 20-50+ basis points of “free” value to annual returns, providing guidance on asset location is becoming increasingly popular.

Yet unfortunately, asset location strategies are often dominated by myths and misperceptions! Ultimately, the reality is that good asset location decisions actually should be influenced by both the tax efficiency of investments and also their expected returns, which makes the analysis somewhat more complex… but also reveals why in today’s environment most bonds actually should NOT go into tax-deferred accounts!

https://www.kitces.com/blog/asset-lo...tfolio-design/

https://www.kitces.com/blog/asset-lo...-time-horizon/

Old 11-16-2020, 06:30 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
While it isn't a cap gains issue per se, for us the biggest threat is the scheduled reduction in the gift tax exclusion in a few years coupled with the president-elect threatening to reduce it right away. Gotta give away money this year.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:06 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not about me or what I do ...it just boils down to what is good recommended planning tactics regardless of amounts .

As kitces points out

Given that recent research has shown effective asset location strategies can add 20-50+ basis points of “free” value to annual returns, providing guidance on asset location is becoming increasingly popular.

Yet unfortunately, asset location strategies are often dominated by myths and misperceptions! Ultimately, the reality is that good asset location decisions actually should be influenced by both the tax efficiency of investments and also their expected returns, which makes the analysis somewhat more complex… but also reveals why in today’s environment most bonds actually should NOT go into tax-deferred accounts!

https://www.kitces.com/blog/asset-lo...tfolio-design/

https://www.kitces.com/blog/asset-lo...-time-horizon/
Well, I don't buy any bonds. So not an issue for me.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:23 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
While it isn't a cap gains issue per se, for us the biggest threat is the scheduled reduction in the gift tax exclusion in a few years coupled with the president-elect threatening to reduce it right away. Gotta give away money this year.

That's some fast dancing to do partner.

Speaking of...you know you're my favorite poster right?

Old 11-17-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well, I don't buy any bonds. So not an issue for me.
it applies to any bond funds as well just so no one is confused and thinks it applies to only individual bonds.

old school thinking was that fixed income of any sort should go in to the retirement accounts but that thinking turned out out to be false when researchers looked under the hood based on the rates that are so much lower.

tax deferred or tax advantaged space is far to valuable to be taken up with most fixed income investments .

the exception being something like TLT which can produce gains that exceed equities in some years .

it may not apply to you if you have no bond funds but it certainly will apply to many here since many still run on old school thinking .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-17-2020 at 03:05 AM..

Old 11-17-2020, 09:27 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
Already done it. Sold winners in January and again in Sept. Had a couple of small losers that I sold. No RMDs this year so I thought it a good time to recognize $100K or so in cap gains.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:52 AM

Be careful of medicare premium increases if you are on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing