Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2021, 07:12 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

The problem with Cathie’s logic is she goes after a lot of companies new to something ….rarely do the initial companies in a new business area stay at the top .

Usually it is the second generation companies that learn to do things better and smarter and the first gen companies don’t do as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 03:59 AM

Interesting that Cathie spoke about her long term commitments to the stocks she believes only recently like roku ,tesla , teledoc ,square ,Shopify , etc , yet was actually selling some of them them ..

“Wood told Bloomberg TV in an interview last week that "especially in periods where our style is out of favor... what we usually do is consolidate our holdings towards our highest-conviction names. [Those] are the names in our top 10 -- so the Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA), the Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU), Teladoc Health (NYSE:TDOC), Square (NYSE:SQ), Shopify (NYSE:SHOP) and so forth."

However, a review of trading records that Ark voluntarily releases every day shows that Wood hasn't actually been buying any of the high-conviction names she mentioned other than ROKU, and has instead dumped shares of TSLA and SHOP:”

https://seekingalpha.com/news/378029...nviction-names

Old 12-16-2021, 07:03 AM

Most investors in ark funds are down as the money only started to flow in after they had explosive returns

https://www.morningstar.com/articles...-not-to-invest

Old 12-16-2021, 12:08 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,385,304 times
ARK funds and Cathie Wood will probably have a movie made about them someday.

Peak Cathie Wood was putting John Deere in a Space Exploration ETF.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:12 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,300,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Interesting that Cathie spoke about her long term commitments to the stocks she believes only recently like roku ,tesla , teledoc ,square ,Shopify , etc , yet was actually selling some of them them ..

“Wood told Bloomberg TV in an interview last week that "especially in periods where our style is out of favor... what we usually do is consolidate our holdings towards our highest-conviction names. [Those] are the names in our top 10 -- so the Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA), the Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU), Teladoc Health (NYSE:TDOC), Square (NYSE:SQ), Shopify (NYSE:SHOP) and so forth."

However, a review of trading records that Ark voluntarily releases every day shows that Wood hasn't actually been buying any of the high-conviction names she mentioned other than ROKU, and has instead dumped shares of TSLA and SHOP:”

https://seekingalpha.com/news/378029...nviction-names
She’s dumping some of her better stocks like TSLA and SHOP because she’s forced to to cover redemptions, yet adding crap like ROKU. Wow, just wow. And people were actually comparing her to Buffett. SMH lol.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:03 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Her mission is different than Buffet,she believes in disruptive industries but many are not making any money.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:09 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Her mission is different than Buffet,she believes in disruptive industries but many are not making any money.
Being early is the same thing as being wrong.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Being early is the same thing as being wrong.
Sometimes ..many times I have gotten to the party early being the contrarian investor I am and have been nicely rewarded for it ….usually when buying low ,next stop is even lower as that is just how trends go …

But when the crowd wants to buy those assets when it’s their day in the sun you can sell them yours at a high price and buy what they are running from at a lower price

Bitcoin can be an example now where every. Day it is falling , yet someone buying now stands a pretty good chance of being rewarded for getting in early .

I think we may see the same thing with long treasury bonds , one of the most frowned upon investments right now has been jumping one to 2% most times stocks dip , so if stocks really slide there can still be juicy gains in them getting in early ….especially if Cathie woods prediction of deflation in assets takes place and this inflation is a head fake

Old 12-18-2021, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
She’s dumping some of her better stocks like TSLA and SHOP because she’s forced to to cover redemptions, yet adding crap like ROKU. Wow, just wow. And people were actually comparing her to Buffett. SMH lol.
I sold arkk yesterday at a profit and slid in to vti for now as that was down so it was kind of a little arbitrage play .

If arkk falls again I will go back in …if not I will sit in vti ,no problem.

Arkk is way to volatile for a core position in my portfolio so I prefer to just trade it even if it goes up from here without me .

It just does not mesh well with a low volatility portfolio. Gbtc bitcoin adds enough volatility. Lol

Old 12-18-2021, 04:30 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Invitae (NVTA) is the only Cathy Stock I follow.
I sold it last year and while I looked foolish for a while, now I look pretty smart. It has plunged from 61 to 15. I don't know why it would recover, but it might and that's why I continue to fill in my spreadsheet.

Keeping accurate records of a few companies including basic fundamentals and announcements has saved my portfolio. I recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing