Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 05:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So if you had any experience in the investment industry, you might know that historically, the biggest gains in the stock market (with the exception of Trump) take place AFTER a big drop. So Obama just got lucky. It sure the he$$ wasn't because of his jacking up tax rates.
Obama didn't get lucky. He was riding a stimulus package and followed through with policy that maintained growth. Trump rode that same policy.

I suggest you learn more about economics and investments rather than questioning others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 05:19 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Obama didn't get lucky. He was riding a stimulus package and followed through with policy that maintained growth. Trump rode that same policy.
Nothing will change the minds of these novice investors who ask basic questions, but dont want answers... just let them short the market or hide their cash under their mattress.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:19 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Uh, no. Throughout his tenure in the Senate, he has always been far left.

While he has remained consistent, his party has moved even farther to the left. The only use the Democratic Party has for Biden is that, well, he's alive - for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post

I suggest you learn more about economics and investments rather than questioning others.
I don't need to learn about economic and investment policy. I worked in the finance industry for over 20 years.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:20 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
I don't need to learn about economic and investment policy. I worked in the finance industry for over 20 years.
LOL, thanks for the laugh. I think you should crawl back to the politics forum.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:22 PM

142 posts, read 156,729 times
Quote:
I see that you carried the "I don't need to learn about economic and investment policy" for 20 years while working in finance. With that attitude, I'm not surprised.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:28 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGAlot View Post
I see that you carried the "I don't need to learn about economic and investment policy" for 20 years while working in finance. With that attitude, I'm not surprised.
Not at all. I soaked up as much as I could attending seminars for other departments to learn when I had the opportunity.

You just don't like my politics. Trust me. We conservatives are used to nasty liberals.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:28 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Oh cool. I've been looking for an expert to answer a question. With 20 years in the finance industry, you should be able to really answer it easily:

So if Biden jacks up the capital gains rate, what will it do to the markets?

Old 01-12-2021, 05:31 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Not at all. I soaked up as much as I could attending seminars for other departments to learn when I had the opportunity.

You just don't like my politics. Trust me. We conservatives are used to nasty liberals.
I'm a conservative, too... I just know about finance and economics as well. Don't let your political views cloud your vision.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:34 PM

142 posts, read 156,729 times
Quote:

I don't know your politics. Your politics has nothing to do with this thread.

I don't let my conservative values get in the way of facts. You don't need to like everything, but denying facts based on politics isn't going to get you anywhere.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:32 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
There are several moving parts to consider.
  • Cap gains will be going up. That's a given.
  • Federal income tax rates will be going up for those with incomes above a particular threshold TBD. That's a given.
  • Gift taxes exclusion will drop significantly. That's a given.
  • Estate taxes will increase significantly. That's a given.
  • The regulatory dead-weight imposed on business by the Federal Government will increase, and that dead-weight will depress GDP growth below what it otherwise would have been. That's a given.
  • Transfer payments to individuals below a particular threshold TBD will increase. That's a given.
  • Unemployment benefits will be extended. That's a given.
  • Federal financial bail-outs of the States will happen in some form, with an emphasis on the form of California, Illinois, and New York. That's a given.
  • Statehood for Washington DC will happen. That's a given.
  • Statehood for Puerto Rico is likely.

What is not a given is the 2022 mid-term elections & their impact on the above.
What is not a given is the 2024 elections & their impact on the above.

None of the above affect my long-term investment policy. They do affect my asset allocation. But significantly affect my estate plan and gifting plans. They also affect my personal spending patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing