Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 02:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 930,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I'm not disputing that - but I thought this thread was about Long Term investing.
"Long term investors" So basically any of us who isnt planning on dying anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 02:23 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
"Long term investors" So basically any of us who isnt planning on dying anytime soon.
lol That gave me a chuckle because I sort of had the same thought.

My definition of long term is quite different than someone else's depending on their age. I have more years behind me than I do ahead of me so "long term" for me amounts to maybe five, seven years? I don't think in terms of ten years anymore.

I tend to do more swing trades now that could amount to a few days to a few weeks. Longer swings may last six months to a year.

I have fun investing and trading stocks. I don't do it to secure my future. I have my retirement. It's adequate for me and I use this as only one form of entertainment. Still, I do try to make money with it and, although the past few weeks haven't been especially green, today more than made up for it. It feels as if the those recent weeks never existed. I'm back where I was. I just hope it holds. (fingers crossed) Going forward, just have to wait and see.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:59 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
I'm not disputing that - but I thought this thread was about Long Term investing.
Yup...it ain't. I voiced the exact same thought many many pages ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
You got it.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:37 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,125,461 times
I am a long-term investor because my money stays invested in the market.

As a long-term investor:

I trim a stock when it becomes overweight in my portfolio. Risk Management.

I will add a stock or increase my position size when I feel it will enhance my portfolio. Risk Tolerance.

I will sell a stock when it no longer meets my objectives. Risk Management.

I rebalance my portfolio when necessary. Risk Management.

I am slowly reducing my equity exposure. Risk Tolerance.

I swing trade when I see a good opportunity. Juicing my returns.

I trade options (occasionally). Speculative.

The vast majority of my accounts are in index funds. Risk management and risk tolerance.

Buy and hold forever is not always lucrative. Risk management.

I am very happy with my investment style.

I enjoy the contributions of other posters.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:46 PM

7,849 posts, read 3,836,363 times
OK, ok. Got it. Sorry for any ruffled feathers.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:55 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
People, we’ve been over this before. There are many, many methods and ideas that fall under “long-term investing.” Long-term investing is not simply buy and hold forever. Let’s all quit sniping at each other’s ideas and methods, and start learning from each other! The good news is, if someone posts something you consider “long term” you are free to ignore it!

Old 12-07-2021, 03:59 PM

106,728 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
People, we’ve been over this before. There are many, many methods and ideas that fall under “long-term investing.” Long-term investing is not simply buy and hold forever. Let’s all quit sniping at each other’s ideas and methods, and start learning from each other! The good news is, if someone posts something you consider “long term” you are free to ignore it!
exactly , being a long term investor doesn’t mean buy and die with something.it can certainly mean updating the portfolio along the way as not only the big picture changes but also as ones goals and strategy does..

many times strategy changes with geo- political changes

Old 12-07-2021, 06:38 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
exactly , being a long term investor doesn’t mean buy and die with something.
That's right There certainly does seem to be a lot of misinterpretation around here. Maybe that's why we all have different trading/investing styles.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:19 PM

1,078 posts, read 629,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
My only real question on AAPL is when it is a $3 trillion company.
The sooner the better, right! But I'll patiently wait....

Old 12-07-2021, 08:04 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Interesting selection.

I find VDIGX to be very expensive for what you get. An expense ratio of .26% is pretty high, especially compared to VOO at .03%

And VDIGX has a long-term underperformance compared to VOO
VDIGX has less volatility than VOO and usually holds up much better in major market downturns. 15 year returns beat VOO, although not by much. 10.53% vs. 10.41% for VINIX (Vanguard Inst. S&P 500. VOO wasn't around 15 years ago)>

.26% is still very cheap for an actively managed fund. I can remember when the better index funds were charging that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing