Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2021, 04:00 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Several years ago, I wanted to bank some of my NVDA gains, so I sold 1/3 of my holdings.

At least, that's what I intended to do. I discovered the next day I had accidentally purchased rather than sold. It worked out for me in the end.
Lady luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjaLydIFT0A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 08:38 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Well we got to change with the times or risk getting left behind. I only started an brokerage account at the age of 37. I'm seeing kids at 18 staying theirs and good for them. Hopefully they're being smarter with their investment choices than I was at 18 with life choices though.
I follow a young boy - and yes, he's a young boy, age 14 - who is doing really REALLY well in the market. He trades using a custodial account his parents set up. He has quite a following on Twitter. I've been watching his plays. From what I'm seeing, he's winning more than losing but just being 14 years old, is remarkable. He has a bright future.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:56 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
It's weird some posters keep pushing the only way to be considered an investor is some "one way, my way" "buy and hold" approach. I don't understand the ridicule and denigration of other posters and their methods.

Like a few other posters on this forum, I like to juice my returns with individual stocks.

I enjoy trading for short-term gains. Overall, I have been doing very well.

These are the stocks I both short-term and long-term trade: AMZN, NVDA, & MSFT.

I've had quite a bit of luck/success with some WSB "stonks" and crypto. (Thank you to whoever posted the GME short squeeze thread way back in January. )

I trade options occasionally too.

At any given time, my individual stocks comprise 10-15% of my portfolio. I trim when necessary.

Long VTI, VSUX, SCHX, VTSAX, BND, AMZN, NVDA, MSFT, AAPL, PYPL, AND ZTS.

Long crypto: BNB, ETH, ADA, and DOGE. (Overall, an insignificant amount)

Individual stock gains allow me to comfortably hold more conservative investments which can be employed during down-turns if desired. I hold cash/CDs, I-Bonds, and a Stable Value fund.

Last edited by AnnaGWS; 11-07-2021 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 12:10 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I follow a young boy - and yes, he's a young boy, age 14 - who is doing really REALLY well in the market. He trades using a custodial account his parents set up. He has quite a following on Twitter. I've been watching his plays. From what I'm seeing, he's winning more than losing but just being 14 years old, is remarkable. He has a bright future.
There are some very talented people who are quite adept at picking individual stocks. They seem to have a keen eye and a pulse on the market. My young nephew is doing well for himself.

I have always had a love for the market. I started buying stocks when I was 21. I got paid twice a month. One paycheck went towards bills and the other stocks. My first stock purchases were PECO, MSFT, and DIS. The first stock I bought (PECO) was based on a professor's recommendation. I sold it after a couple of years. It was paying a great dividend, but I was more interested in accumulating growth stocks.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:16 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
BILL is a good company. I initiated my position at the beginning of August of 2020.

You must be thinking of a different company. BILL is a back office financial/accounting software company. https://www.bill.com/. A large market focus is the small/independent restaurant business.

That's quite the valuation now though. $34B on $238M in revenue? Revenue growth of 50% is pretty fantastic but whew

Old 11-08-2021, 06:27 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
That's quite the valuation now though. $34B on $238M in revenue? Revenue growth of 50% is pretty fantastic but whew
Yep - clearly not a value stock. I just checked; my basis is 103.44/shr from early August last year; I think it closed on Friday at 334-ish. It is clearly benefiting from the reopening of the restaurant industry. It isn't a core holding by any stretch; I only have 50 shares.

• Canaccord analyst Joseph Vafi raised the price target to $366 from $284, implying 24.5% upside, and reiterated a Buy. The analyst believes core organic revenue growth is benefiting from the ongoing network effects of the Bill platform, along with cross-selling opportunities already being realized from Divvy.
  • Piper Sandler maintained Overweight and lifted the price target to $380, implying a 29.3% upside. The firm is positive on 'another surprise acceleration in organic core revenue with 78% Y/Y growth' with 5,600 net quarterly adds; sees company's 'differentiated business riding an SMB finance transformation wave.'
  • SMBC Nikko maintained Outperform and raised the price target to $370, implying a 25.9% upside.
  • Needham maintained a Buy and increased the price target to $370.
  • KeyBanc affirmed Overweight and increased the price target to $375, implying a 27.6% upside. The firm is positive on 'high-quality organic revenue beat' with organic growth guided to mid-50s from mid-40s; it sees the combination of strong organic trends to drive company strategy focused on back-office operations.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:29 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
He might be another Warren Buffett.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,813 times
Quote:
What kind of strategy is he using? How does he make his picks?

Old 11-08-2021, 09:44 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Chips on a massive tear again. These stocks have been the reason I just can't buy index funds except for the SMH. The great thing about these things is they actually create and grow ever great TAM for themselves. Almost any advance in chip technology leads to a need for increasingly advanced chips.

Cyber security also flying today these are the two sectors I have been mainly in and days like today vindicate my thesis. These are for the true long term holder. When you sell products capable of creating their own demand that's pretty strong. Normally I might rebalance or take some off the table but these are the best ideas out there.

I am buying a little XLNX today even with the spike up. I already own the other big players so this gives me something to cost average into with out chasing.

PYPL reports today I am going to grab a slice of it now. I have no idea what will happen after the bell but I will take some here and some after if it doesn't go my way.

Last edited by lookingaround12345; 11-08-2021 at 10:02 AM..

Old 11-08-2021, 10:41 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
He might be another Warren Buffett.
I don't know about that but he's bright and is doing very well with it. I think back when I was raising children, we didn't have computers in the home, let along online investing. If we had, I'd have been encouraging my children to learn how to do it. I'd have happily set up a custodial account for them. The young ones today that get into that, and do it well, are likely to have an amazing future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
What kind of strategy is he using? How does he make his picks?
He reads charts, know the indicators, watches for news of anything having to do with the company before investing. Not saying every call he makes is a winner but he's managed to parlay $750 into over $8500 in six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing