Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 06:10 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,683,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's hard to put a price on the quality of life upgrade that 21 summers on the beach provided.
I guess it could be said to be priceless. You're feeling all kinds of emotions about this house. Perhaps selling now isn't the right thing to do. This isn't really just a financial decision after all.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:26 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Inflation in housing is out of control worldwide... AirBnB rates have skyrocketed in just about every world city I am checking. In the US the cost of houses, rents, hotels and AirBnBs have all skyrocketed some as much as +20%. Not sure if this is a temporary phenomenon from the pandemic or a disturbing sign of things to come.

Those that own their own home are insulated but those of us who rent are getting screwed.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:32 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Not for millions here in ny . Rents have been falling in a lot of areas .

So blanket statements don’t apply for many

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...highs/3055791/

Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
I think a few areas like NYC and SFO have seen rents drastically decline due to a mass exodus from ultra high cost areas. However, here in Dallas rents have been skyrocketing. The rents in my apartment complex are up 25% from last year and I am sure I am going to get a shock when I renew my lease later this year.

I believe all the Tier 2 cities have been seeing a surge in housing costs as people migrate from super high cost areas to relatively more affordable areas while keeping their same high paying jobs thanks for remote working arrangements. That creates a frustrating situation for those with salaries negotiated according to local conditions as prices start going out of wack with their wages.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Today's statement from JPMORGAN:

“The next leg higher is likely upon us, following the sideways move in markets and bond yields over the past two months .. the market is likely to get comfortable that growth will remain significantly above trend in 2H, supported by both consumer and capex.”

Old 06-07-2021, 01:52 PM

893 posts, read 510,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Today's statement from JPMORGAN:

“The next leg higher is likely upon us, following the sideways move in markets and bond yields over the past two months .. the market is likely to get comfortable that growth will remain significantly above trend in 2H, supported by both consumer and capex.”
Sounds good.
I've been picking up some Apple over the last few weeks from $122-$125 as it has been going sideways for quite some time so I'd expect it to increase by summer/end of year - but what do I know .

Old 06-07-2021, 07:24 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Well, I met with my financial guy, who thinks it is definitely the right time to sell in this particular market. As far as where to put the money, he surprised me a little bit as I thought he was going to tell me to diversify, as he usually does. But this time, he told me that I should put half into various funds, and put the other half into hard assets. Assuming I qualify, I will be able to defer some of the tax burden, plus he thinks it is the best place to be in an inflationary environment.

Keep in mind, my portfolio is already heavy with rental properties, and he is not recommending I go out and buy more on my own. Nor is he recommending REITs. He suggested investing directly with builders of high rise apartment buildings. He has done this with other clients ad they have been very happy with the results. They get a steady income from their share of the rent collections, and as the properties appreciate in value, I can cash out for a profit, or just hold for the long term.

This is the first I am hearing about an investment like this. Has anybody here done anything like this? Do you have any feedback?

Old 06-08-2021, 08:18 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is the first I am hearing about an investment like this. Has anybody here done anything like this? Do you have any feedback?
Yes. Years ago. Limited partnerships.

I would recommend doing your own due diligence on the builder (lawsuits are not uncommon on high-rise buildings), the type of ownership (limited partnership?), and the quality of the property manager.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:26 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Yes. Years ago. Limited partnerships.

I would recommend doing your own due diligence on the builder (lawsuits are not uncommon on high-rise buildings), the type of ownership (limited partnership?), and the quality of the property manager.
This seems like great advice. Thank you.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:42 AM

61,741 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This seems like great advice. Thank you.

Thread has turned to arguing about rental rates in NY vs elsewhere.
OP got advice.
Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing