Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 03:03 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
People who can’t afford basic needs like food and shelter in the near future aren’t are usually ones that are heavily invested in the stock market to begin with.
Yes. But there are others who are investing money that they can't afford to invest. Trust me. Been there myself. Investing money, then 4 months later having to cash out because of some expense. A lot of new retail investors are doing the same. It's not that can't feed themselves. But if they are the ones who found themselves on thin ice after the pandemic and decided to stash the extra cash into the market, down the road, I see them needing to cash out once the financial support ends.

Inflation is increasing. Things are more expensive. I can't imagine cash sitting in the market will last too much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
And if these newcomers pull their money out, so what?? It’s a relatively small aggregate dollar amount I’m sure. GameStop, AMC and crypto may get hit hard though lol.
Small aggregate dollar amount? So a trillion dollars is small?

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...me-2021-6?op=1

AMC and GME may be the safest bet due to the short squeeze. But we'll see.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:10 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
Federal Reserve balance sheet fell by $ 13 billion for week ending Wednesday. It's since been a net buyer of bonds. It needs to keep up with its stated target of at least 120 billion dollars each month. It occurs most months where there is an over/under on net purchases on a given week but makes the target by the end of the month.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:15 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,339,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yes. But there are others who are investing money that they can't afford to invest. Trust me. Been there myself. Investing money, then 4 months later having to cash out because of some expense. A lot of new retail investors are doing the same. It's not that can't feed themselves. But if they are the ones who found themselves on thin ice after the pandemic and decided to stash the extra cash into the market, down the road, I see them needing to cash out once the financial support ends.

Inflation is increasing. Things are more expensive. I can't imagine cash sitting in the market will last too much longer.
The people who are new and would need that cash 4 months later aren’t investing enough cumulatively enough to matter…..even if it was cashed out all at the same time.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:15 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
Small aggregate dollar amount? So a trillion dollars is small?

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...me-2021-6?op=1

AMC and GME may be the safest bet due to the short squeeze. But we'll see.
Yes, it is. The S&P500 has a total market cap of around $31.6 trillion. The total world stock market cap is approx $95 trillion. $1 trillion is a relatively small amount when compared to both.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Yes, it is. The S&P500 has a total market cap of around $31.6 trillion. The total world stock market cap is approx $95 trillion. $1 trillion is a relatively small amount when compared to both.
Okay. So adding 1 trillion dollars inflates the stock market but taking 1 trillion out won't deflate it. Got it. I guess that means the stock market is more manipulated than I thought.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:44 PM

13,661 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Okay. So adding 1 trillion dollars inflates the stock market but taking 1 trillion out won't deflate it. Got it. I guess that means the stock market is more manipulated than I thought.
If it is your agenda to purport that the stock market is a scam, a sucker's game or otherwise an abomination, then by all means, you have every reason to avoid it. But let's please not argue from the example of personal beliefs, to a recipe for what should be done in the aggregate.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:12 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
I have no idea what it's going to do.

I regularly invest in the stock market.

But I really have very little trust in the whole financial system.

The problem is, if you are dependent on money, you have to invest your money in something.

The real solution, in my opinion, is to reduce or eliminate dependence on money, but that is easier said than done.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
The real solution, in my opinion, is to reduce or eliminate dependence on money, but that is easier said than done.
--------------------------
so how do you go about your life and fulfill your daily needs without money?
bartering?what skills do you have?
grow your own food?
how do you pay your utility bills,and fill the gas tank?or fill your prescription drug?

Old 08-08-2021, 07:32 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Federal Reserve balance sheet fell by $ 13 billion for week ending Wednesday. It's since been a net buyer of bonds. It needs to keep up with its stated target of at least 120 billion dollars each month. It occurs most months where there is an over/under on net purchases on a given week but makes the target by the end of the month.
-----------------------
Hedgefunds are making money from the Fed,they will bid on auctions (meaning they get wholesale price) and sell them to the Fed at retail secondary market,pocketed the spread ,$25 millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing