Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 06:59 AM

160 posts, read 125,917 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling I want to up the cash side of my portfolio. Maybe even leaning to overweight.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 07:14 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Nobody knows what you should do because we all have different strategies, risk tolerances, goals, account sizes, rules for exiting/entering etc. However, just speaking for myself, I've been almost 100% cash since 11/22-12/1. I'm currently around 3-5% invested.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:29 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Speaking only for my individual stock account, 95% invested. I've been adding cash to our savings lately, so I haven't been adding much new cash to this account lately, as I have other life priorities at the moment. That said, I have about 5% cash in the account at the moment and will begin adding to that early in 2022.

I'm a value/gaarp type of investor, and I invest in what I consider to be top quality companies for the long haul. I have a watch list of 17 stocks that I simply watch and wait to hit the right valuation, and then go very long. I and am currently long AAPL, BAC, BRK-B, HD, V and WSM, and getting close to pulling the trigger and opening a starter position in TROW.

IRA, 401K and kids accounts are all fully invested.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:33 AM

9,410 posts, read 8,382,899 times
I'm always 95 to 98% invested, only leaving a small amount for adding to positions that I feel are underweight or unnecessarily beaten down (financials, anyone?). I would never sit on cash and try and predict the market, I'm not smart enough to know when the markets will crash, nor are 99.99% of the professional investment population.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:33 AM

2,612 posts, read 931,204 times
Im sticking with modern portfolio theory. I dont have cash.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:54 AM

7,855 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Male View Post
I'm feeling I want to up the cash side of my portfolio. Maybe even leaning to overweight.

What are your thoughts on this?
The first American to win the Nobel Prize in Economics, Paul Samuelson, many decades ago, was consulted by a colleague at MIT.

Quote:
"Paul, I just don't know what to do. I'm worried about my investments in the stock market.

I'm worried about international tensions & their effect on my portfolio.
I'm worried about a possible War in the Middle East & its effect on my portfolio.
I'm worried about inflation & its effect on my portfolio.
I'm worried about technical innovation & its effect on my portfolio.
I'm worried about a trade war & its effect on my portfolio.
I'm worried about the Cold War & its effect on my portfolio.
I'm worried about The Hong Kong Flu & its effect on my portfolio.

Paul, I wake up in the middle of the night & can't get back to sleep because I'm thinking about these things. What do you think I should do?"
Paul famously replied,

"I think you should sell enough stock & raise enough cash so you can get 8 hours of sleep without waking up."

Old 12-22-2021, 08:58 AM

7,855 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Im sticking with modern portfolio theory. I dont have cash.
MPT doesn't imply zero cash, does it? I thought MPT guides us to construct a portfolio of consisting of a combination of both (a) risk-bearing assets, and (b) risk-free assets. Risk-free assets include cash & short-term US T-Bills.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:12 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
I have quite a bit, but that has nothing to do with the current climate.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:52 AM

2,612 posts, read 931,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
MPT doesn't imply zero cash, does it? I thought MPT guides us to construct a portfolio of consisting of a combination of both (a) risk-bearing assets, and (b) risk-free assets. Risk-free assets include cash & short-term US T-Bills.
No it doesnt, so I should have been more clear. It is about choosing a diversified portfolio based on your risk tolerance (so it could include any mix of diversified assets) and then sticking with it over time vs timing the market. So I chose a high risk portfolio and I am sticking with it through good and bad times and trusting that over time that strategy will perform well.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:04 AM

640 posts, read 451,012 times
The classic answer to OP's question is that it depends on your age, assets, and risk tolerance. These are all different for the C-D folks who would answer. If you still have 20-30 years of earnings and investing ahead of you -- and you are fearless -- go ahead, keep the assets 100% in equities.

If you are older and retired, like I do, keep more cash. It doesn't matter what someone half your age would say and do.

Also, if you have saved more than enough for retirement, even considering the inflation, keeping most of your holdings in cash is fine, IMHO. I'd still keep something (25%?) in stocks, to keep the purchasing power of the cash, but not as much as someone younger. As somebody quipped, "If you've won the game, why are you still playing?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing