Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long will it take the S&P to recover?
0-3 months 6 3.35%
4-6 months 8 4.47%
7-12 months 25 13.97%
1-2 years 80 44.69%
3+ years 60 33.52%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 12:08 PM

1,078 posts, read 628,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I’m feeling quite confident in my 3+ year selection. Looks like stagflation to me.
Glad to see you back posting! I'm sticking with my midterm election timeframe. It's been a solid streak since WWII, and it's one I hope will keep in tact for many more decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 12:20 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,190,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE42 View Post
Glad to see you back posting! I'm sticking with my midterm election timeframe. It's been a solid streak since WWII, and it's one I hope will keep in tact for many more decades.
You’re expecting the S&P to recapture all time highs by early November?!?

Old 08-26-2022, 01:07 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
I can't imagine anyone thinking that. This year is a tanker for sure. My highs were Dec 29 and I am a long way off from those numbers, and even more after today. I doubt I'll see those numbers again until late next year, especially as I am no longer contributing since retirement.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
What, have you not paid attention to my earlier posts? The year after midterm elections since WWII have all been positive for the S&P.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
What, have you not paid attention to my earlier posts? The year after midterm elections since WWII have all been positive for the S&P.
Oh, so you’re saying new all time highs sometime next year, not this year? I thought before you said you voted within one year on this poll. It’s possible we see a return to all time highs late next year but that’s best case scenario imo. I think it’s more likely we don’t get back until 2025. I think it’s going to take another 2-3 years to get back to where we were.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Oh, so you’re saying new all time highs sometime next year, not this year? I thought before you said you voted within one year on this poll. It’s possible we see a return to all time highs late next year but that’s best case scenario imo. I think it’s more likely we don’t get back until 2025. I think it’s going to take another 2-3 years to get back to where we were.
I voted in the 1-2 year group. I wanted to share my reason with the data on the stats regarding the positive return in the third year of each presidency since WWII. Time will tell, and I hope for all of our sakes it's not 2-3 years!

Old 08-26-2022, 02:03 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,309,195 times
Quote:
I voted in the 1-2 year group. I wanted to share my reason with the data on the stats regarding the positive return in the third year of each presidency since WWII. Time will tell, and I hope for all of our sakes it's not 2-3 years!
I don't know - 2-3 years isn't really all that long, but it would make for a good, long buying opportunity!

Old 08-26-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
3+ years would be perfectly normal considering the runup the market had leading into this year. Consider that it took more than 7 years to regain the dotcom peak and pre-GFC peak. I don’t think this one will be as stretched out as those but expecting a return to ATH any time within the next 12 months is overly optimistic imo. There’s been a lot of damage done and it’s going to take some time to recover. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the market retest the June lows again this year. Just hoping it holds!

Old 08-26-2022, 02:27 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
3+ years would be perfectly normal considering the runup the market had leading into this year. Consider that it took more than 7 years to regain the dotcom peak and pre-GFC peak. I don’t think this one will be as stretched out as those but expecting a return to ATH any time within the next 12 months is overly optimistic imo. There’s been a lot of damage done and it’s going to take some time to recover. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the market retest the June lows again this year. Just hoping it holds!
The market just-barely recovered in the summer of 2007, retracing the highs of the spring of 2000. It then promptly fell. It took another 6-7 years for the headline numbers (that is, not including reinvestment of dividends) to recover to the highs of 2000. That's 13-14 years of cumulative zero growth. That is in raw dollar terms... not inflation-adjusted terms!

Some markets, such as in places in Europe, are cumulatively negative for the entire 21st century, in dollar-denominated terms. Indeed, the unmentioned crisis of our times, is the ridiculous appreciation in the US dollar, relative to most other currencies.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The market just-barely recovered in the summer of 2007, retracing the highs of the spring of 2000. It then promptly fell. It took another 6-7 years for the headline numbers (that is, not including reinvestment of dividends) to recover to the highs of 2000. That's 13-14 years of cumulative zero growth. That is in raw dollar terms... not inflation-adjusted terms!

Some markets, such as in places in Europe, are cumulatively negative for the entire 21st century, in dollar-denominated terms. Indeed, the unmentioned crisis of our times, is the ridiculous appreciation in the US dollar, relative to most other currencies.
Correct. The only reason my portfolio is green over the past 4 months is due to option selling. Daily volatility has increased option premiums even though the market has generally been range bound since late April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing