Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 05:36 AM

4,549 posts, read 6,848,461 times

Advertisements

The supply chain problems and labor shortages have led to many established companies to trade at historically low PE rates. Many of these companies are still growing earnings and have solid cash flows yet the market is pricing many of these companies as if they have no future prospects. Included in this list are companies like Intel and Cisco, many banks and financials like Bank of America and JP Morgan, automobile manufacturers like Ford and GM, commodity companies like DOW and International Paper, pharmaceuticals like Pfizer, and many others. Many also pay dividends of $3.5% or more. Even moving into a recession many of theses companies are far below their PEs moving into previous downturns yet are in better financial shape. Additionally, areas like automobiles are significantly undersupplied at the moment. Many people absolutely need to buy a car after years of no available supply. Ford and GM are both significantly producing electric vehicle alternatives at the price points that are most affordable to the masses.

Is market too dependent on the novel and new tech to the point that the blood and bones of the economy is being ignored and left behind?

These are just a few of literally hundreds of stocks with solid earnings that are solid global companies. Share your examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 06:19 AM

5,535 posts, read 6,418,941 times
BRK-B, TROW and WSM. Long and adding to all three.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:13 AM

5,535 posts, read 6,418,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
BRK-B, TROW and WSM. Long and adding to all three.
I would also add home builders and insurers to the list, and TSN in the food space as well.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:24 AM

6,856 posts, read 5,164,170 times
Good thread. Yes, the market has already decided we are having a recession. Plenty to choose from in the financial space. I'll mention Goldman Sachs which trades at a modest discount to book value today. Also Blackrock and Schwab. They're trading well below the fair value estimates I see.

Add semiconductors to the list. Many are trading at 10-15 times earnings. Intel has its own company-specific issues, but most companies in this industry are in great financial shape, with huge backlogs plus the ability to pass along some price increases.

I'm not a fan of the legacy auto companies. Instead, I'll choose to stick with things like Deere, which is at about 14x earnings today. Cummins has a p/e around 10.

Then there are small caps. I don't follow individual companies in this area, but the forward PEs are very, very low today. The S&P 600 is almost as cheap (i.e., earnings multiple) as it was at the bottoms reached in both 2008 and 2020. See the charts from Ed Yardeni...

https://www.yardeni.com/pub/stockmktperatio.pdf

Last edited by hikernut; 06-17-2022 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing