Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 02:35 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Just for clarity....index funds ARE mutual funds. They're just mutual funds that replicate the holdings of a specified index like the S&P 500, so their costs are lower than actively managed funds.
Yes, there are mutual funds that track various indices. There are managers out there that have consistently beat the indices over a complete market cycle, although they almost always have higher expense ratios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 02:38 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The short answer is because :

1. The more choices there are, the less people are likely to participate in the plan in the first place. I don't know if they have automatic enrollment or not, but that would solve the problem.

2. Most people don't know what they are doing, so it's better to have fewer choices so they don't make dumb decisions.

3. You're probably not as smart or good an investor as you think you are. So I think not allowing people to buy risky inverse ETFs is a good thing.

4. The most successful investment strategies are usually boring. The most successful investors usually use fairly boring strategies. Inverse ETFs do not fit into the "boring" category. Not even close.

Disagree. It is not a bad thing to give people more investmemt choices. Employers should do a better job educating employees about investing.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:54 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Yes, there are mutual funds that track various indices. There are managers out there that have consistently beat the indices over a complete market cycle, although they almost always have higher expense ratios.
Cool. Which ones are they going to be for the next few years?

I'm glad you've had good luck with actively managed funds rather than index funds or ETFs, but you don't get to say you don't want to debate it after you say things like "The problem with index funds is becoming evident in this bear market." Clearly you don't like them (ETFs), which is your prerogative-but not everyone shares that belief, and it's not at all evident there's a problem with them.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:56 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Cool. Which ones are they going to be for the next few years?

I'm glad you've had good luck with actively managed funds rather than index funds or ETFs, but you don't get to say you don't want to debate it after you say things like "The problem with index funds is becoming evident in this bear market." Clearly you don't like them (ETFs), which is your prerogative-but not everyone shares that belief, and it's not at all evident there's a problem with them.
Correction, I used the wrong term: clearly you don’t like them (index funds). It’s still not at all evident there’s a problem with them.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:35 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
Government pension account (similar to 401K), I understand that short selling cannot be allowed, since short selling can cause unlimited risk.

But I wish I could have more control on personal pension account, like buying SQQQ, or some other inverse ETF.
Mine has a brokerage option, so I really have unlimited choices.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:57 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Mine has a brokerage option, so I really have unlimited choices.
Not saying you company does this but they could always have a restriction list even on the brokerage account for 3x levered funds as that’s a pretty common restriction for retirement accounts connected to employer plans

Old 07-05-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Not saying you company does this but they could always have a restriction list even on the brokerage account for 3x levered funds as that’s a pretty common restriction for retirement accounts connected to employer plans
I don't have that restriction, but I would never be buying that stuff anyway LOL.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:27 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah I don't even know or care what those are. I simply commented to inform that there are more options in *some* pensions.
Well the post you quoted for the OP and his/her complaint was about 3x levered funds

Old 07-05-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well the post you quoted for the OP and his/her complaint was about 3x levered funds
Mine allows that.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:16 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Disagree. It is not a bad thing to give people more investmemt choices. Employers should do a better job educating employees about investing.
I wish I could agree with you. I want to agree with you. But as someone with personal experience with this, once people reach adulthood, they are set in their ways. Education will work for a fairly small percentage. The majority will just have their eyes glaze over. I have seen it first hand. So. Many. Times.

Perhaps the solution is to have index funds for the majority and allow a low cost brokerage option for the rest. My plan has a brokerage option, but it is high cost and inconvenient to use.

Retirement plans are geared toward keeping people from investing badly. Most people overestimate their ability to invest well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing