Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 12:00 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,298,768 times

Advertisements

There's a somewhat famous report from the Kauffman Foundation, which promotes entrepreneurship, about the poor returns from venture capital.

https://www.kauffman.org/entrepreneu...-and-he-is-us/

I remember reading this report years ago and thinking it presaged a pullback. Instead more VC money flowed than ever, especially during the pandemic.

Full disclosure: I have worked for a number of startups and have seen how the sausage is made. It's not pretty; a lot of investors are taken for a ride.

I always hear the standard explanation that investors just need one of twenty businesses or so to achieve stratospheric growth to cover all of their losses from the nineteen other companies that went nowhere. However it seems a lot of investors put money into companies that have no chance whatsoever, from my perspective. Cleantech, hardtech, healthtech, sharing economy, most biotech, etc are all doomed. If I were a VC I would only invest in SaaS businesses, just to limit the blast radius of losses.

However looking at the Kauffman report, the industry wide returns aren't great. There's a flaw in the argument above because even if you invest in the next Google, its gains will only net you a mediocre return when balanced with your losses.

Why do investors bother with VC? Why not stick to private equity, where you buy businesses that already exist rather than speculative ventures, or real estate, or just index funds?

I have to think it's mostly about status. VC is considered the sexiest finance sector, and successful VCs are held to be visionaries. I honestly think professional VCs are trading returns for social status.

This is also why I think professional investors are very rarely more informed than the general public, and are just playing a variation of the stock picking game with insufficient info and no clear edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 03:28 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,066,770 times
"So much"? Compare it to a single hedge fund, Blackrock who owns like half the world and keeps going and going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n4zkdfKUAE

VCs are seeking unrealistic returns so the poor track record isn't shocking, but over the years their investment approaches could've gotten more conservative, my best fr. from childhood for example secured around 3M in euros in funding in Germany for a 'doctor appointment' app for android or something like that. But VCs will usually fund bizarre things like in vitro meat, ai scifi robots, space ships and one God knows what.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:03 AM

13,163 posts, read 7,682,244 times
May be, the losses are tax deductible and gains deferred or tax advantaged.
Sometimes, may be the investors can look like a "genius" ?
I got a good handful of companies that I bought, and now I a "genius" at being an owner stupid idiot fool of a$$es The only stuff that I get from them is a feeding the a$$es by dollar cost averaging on dips and seeing a continued piles of $hit.
My a$$es are not tax loss deductible.
It my way of buying a lottery.
It's excess retirement funds that I don't count anyway
YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing