Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 10:51 AM

65 posts, read 523,720 times

Advertisements

I've got a large chunk of savings $ sitting in an online savings account making 4% APY. It's awesome!
But I've got another chunk of savings in my Traditional IRA in a Federal Money Market account that isn't paying nearly as much. I'm 62 years old. What would be my best move with the cash that is in the IRA money market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 11:02 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
The answer is that retirement money should be invested and growing .

As far as what’s right for you , no one can say or should say.

We can only say what we would do .

Until I was about 8 years or so from retirement, I was 100% diversified stock funds .

It’s the only way most of us can take the Bits and pieces we manage to save and have it amount to anything meaningful over time

Old 01-29-2023, 11:13 AM

334 posts, read 172,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post
I've got a large chunk of savings $ sitting in an online savings account making 4% APY. It's awesome!
But I've got another chunk of savings in my Traditional IRA in a Federal Money Market account that isn't paying nearly as much. I'm 62 years old. What would be my best move with the cash that is in the IRA money market?
If it is a rollover IRA in Fidelity, you can buy T bills and get 4.6% or so, depending on maturity date.
BTW, what online savings account pays 4%? I use Barclays, and they are at 3.4%.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:16 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
The only 4% or better now that I'm finding is in CD's only.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:23 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
I have my cash in SPRXX Money market at Fidelity (got the suggestion from the Bogleheads), the 7 day yield on that is 4.14%. The good thing is that with the Fidelity Cash Management account it's treated as cash which is automatically liquidated when you withdraw without any manual requirement to sell first, so I have my Sinking Funds in that as well. It can't be set as a Core position so any deposits you have to manually do the buy.

The T-Bills require some duration even if it's just for 3 months it's still a lock in and with the Fed increasing rates the MM would probably respond much sooner to the new rates.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:27 AM

Bask Bank online is 4%, so is CIT bank online savings.

Of course we don't have a crystal ball, but do you all foresee online savings account rates (and 11 month CD rates) going up to 5% or more in 2023?

Old 01-29-2023, 05:41 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
You would contact Bask Bank and tell them you would like THEM to move the IRA to their bank and invest it in the savings account.

You do not want the money sent to you as this could result in taxes if it is not done correctly.

This should be very normal for the bank and they may have the forms you have to fill out on their web site.

Since your retirement could last another 30 or 40 years you should take a look at equities (the stock market)

Old 01-29-2023, 05:56 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The answer is that retirement money should be invested and growing .

As far as what’s right for you , no one can say or should say.

We can only say what we would do .

Until I was about 8 years or so from retirement, I was 100% diversified stock funds .

It’s the only way most of us can take the Bits and pieces we manage to save and have it amount to anything meaningful over time
Agreed. At 62, at a minimum, the $ should be invested in balanced funds like Vanguard Wellesley or Wellington.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-29-2023, 07:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post
Cash or cash equivalents are an asset class. What does your total investment portfolio look like? That is, percentages allocated to each asset class? What does your pie chart look like? What percentage of your total assets are in cash or cash equivalents (e.g., CDs, money market, and the like)

In general, it is better to invest inside your IRA into non-cash asset classes rather than leave it in cash or cash equivalents.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 01-29-2023 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing