Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 09:09 AM

5,365 posts, read 5,147,550 times

Advertisements

Is the P/E of these ETFs worth looking at and making a judgement call? Traditionally, a low P/E was considered "value" being more low risk low reward and higher dividend while higher P/E was the opposite. So an energy ETF would be more 'valueish' while a tech one would be more 'growth'. But I've read that these numbers are so manipulatable and changeable there might not be much information that can be gained from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 10:45 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,071,651 times
I've not tried with respect to different sectors, but rather with big/small/mid-cap, and value vs. growth.

Here's a useful set of charts from Ed Yardeni, which I've posted here previously. In my opinion it will give actionable signals from time to time. You need to have a long timeframe, however, like 5, 10, 15 years. I find figures 17-20, and figure 1 to be the most useful.

https://www.yardeni.com/pub/stockmktperatio.pdf

I've made a couple of significant allocation changes based on relative valuations in the past. The most dramatic was in 1999-2000. Large growth was very expensive at the time. A person who recognized this and acted on it did not suffer the so-called lost decade. I sold all of my large growth holdings and reallocated into other assets.

The next significant allocation adjustment was in the wake of the Great Recession. During roughly 2009-2011, big caps were cheaper than small caps, and there was little/no premium on growth stocks. The best investment to make at the time was growth.

Today we are back to a situation where small caps and mid caps are notably cheaper than big caps. All of my 401k money has been in small-cap and mid-cap for two years now. Big caps are not as overvalued as in 1999, however, and to me it's not worth the tax hit to sell the big caps in my taxable account.

Last edited by hikernut; 04-04-2023 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing