Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2023, 06:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,954,536 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with these

Apparently you need to commit money for the entire 12 mo cycle and then it resets the buffer loss and top cap
Offered on several different index ETFs like SPY and Nasdaq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 06:50 PM

6,631 posts, read 7,364,568 times
I guess the person selling these thinks they can make more money than they can by investing in other things.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:26 PM

I think we should take more risk in our portfolio because I think we have another 20 years to live probably (both sets of parents long-lived and no significant health issues) and want to leave an estate for daughter/grandson…
My husband doesn’t like risk—
So our CPA investment analyst suggested these ETFs because they buffer risk…

If that is not the case then enlighten me with your insight

Old 08-04-2023, 09:33 AM

7,943 posts, read 3,898,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think we should take more risk in our portfolio because I think we have another 20 years to live probably (both sets of parents long-lived and no significant health issues) and want to leave an estate for daughter/grandson…
My husband doesn’t like risk—
So our CPA investment analyst suggested these ETFs because they buffer risk…

If that is not the case then enlighten me with your insight
Your advisor is probably referring to funds such as BJUN, PJUN, and UJUN.

I've heard them called "Buffer ETFs." Read https://www.investopedia.com/etfs-cu...elloff-4773081

The decision of how much risk to take is a very important one. I suggest you & your husband take a free online investment risk tolerance survey - there are many out there. The two of you really do need to be on the same page, or close to the same page. Compare your results of questionnaires with one another and discuss them.

Also, the decision of how much risk to take is INDEPENDENT of the construction of the optimal portfolio for that level of risk.

I would never include a Buffer ETF in the construction of my portfolio for two reasons.

1) They have EXTREMELY high expense ratios - the management company takes a huge fee off the top, and that comes out of my pocket. The above funds have expense ratios that are nosebleed high .79%.

2) It is trivial to construct a portfolio of a normal low-expense ratio ETF together with another asset class such as a CD such that the total value of the portfolio is buffered in the same way, but I don't end up paying a huge chunk of money to the management company. Instead of putting, say, $100,000 into PJUN I would put $60,000 into the S&P 500 ETF VOO (with an expense ratio of 0.03%) and $40,000 into short term T-Bills (risk-free). At the end of the year, the VOO will have varied up & down, and the T-Bills will have paid you interest and you get guaranteed return of your $40K. The sum of the ETF and the T-Bills will approximate that Buffer ETF but you are way ahead because you didn't pay as much in fees.

My example is just hypothetical - your advisor can discuss the concept with you in more detail, but it is all moot until you and your husband agree on how much risk to take. And there are many tools for portfolio construction and determining how much of your assets to put into various asset categories.

I think Buffer ETFs are a great product for the company that creates them and sells them; they make a lot of money on them.

I wouldn't use them.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:35 AM

Thanks for your input—
That argument is one that can be made for an index only portfolio w/lowest fees vs managed funds or even mutual funds vs ETFs
And I get the argument that fees siphon off money that can come to the investor

Our portfolio is almost 50/50 equity and bond now
So more equity than might be normal for retired couples

My husband has just no interest in having discussions about issues like this because he feels like he doesn’t really understand any of the factors involved in investing/managing a portfolio
And he doesn’t want to start

This guy isn’t pushing this strategy because he will make money IMO—we have mainly DFA funds that are very cost conscious
He is just trying to offer us a suggestion that will satisfy both of us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing