Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 05:12 AM

775 posts, read 1,050,822 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/25/as-p...e-new-fix.html

Allowing SS to invest in the stock market instead of just buying treasuries should increase the overall returns and at least partially cover the funding shortfalls. However, my question is what happens in an extended downturn (recession/depression)?

What do you think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 06:53 AM

749 posts, read 841,983 times
Allowing SS to invest 1 - 3% in the stock market makes sense to me. Why not just try it at 1% for 5 years and see the results?

Being over 30 years away from collecting, I would just like to have the option to entirely opt out...

Old 08-05-2023, 07:12 AM

106,789 posts, read 109,020,929 times
the government is not allowed to own private companies .

govt ownership is what communism is about

Old 08-05-2023, 07:51 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,304,546 times
Given there's no real social security "trust fund" and social security is basically paid out from general revenue, there's not really any money technically there to invest in the first place. It's all just promises to pay, rather than account balances.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Given there's no real social security "trust fund" and social security is basically paid out from general revenue, there's not really any money technically there to invest in the first place. It's all just promises to pay, rather than account balances.
this is total nonsense.

ss funds have never been co mingled with general funds …

ss funds can only go for ss retirement , ssdi or ss survivor .

any excess can only by special treasury bonds that pay a higher rate then the ones the rest of the world buys .

ss never comes out of general funds.

all treasuries bought have always paid principal and interest when due.

this co mingling is a myth and comes from when johnson wanted the balance sheet to look better so he could get war funding so he listed the ss excess with the general funds , but the money has always been segregated

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-05-2023 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-05-2023, 08:20 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
You literally have no idea what you are taking about.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:21 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/25/as-p...e-new-fix.html

Allowing SS to invest in the stock market instead of just buying treasuries should increase the overall returns and at least partially cover the funding shortfalls. However, my question is what happens in an extended downturn (recession/depression)?

What do you think about this?
SS isn’t about return optimization and investing in publicly traded companies isn’t an option and shouldn’t be. There also should not be a self directed option either

Old 08-05-2023, 08:24 AM

i agree .

most individual investors do terrible ,especially left to their own control of the money .

fear , greed and emotions cause them to lag and the more volatile the markets are the worse as a group they lag .

the whole idea of an insurance program like ss is to be there in a 1929 collapse for retirees

Old 08-05-2023, 09:19 AM

18,838 posts, read 8,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i agree .

most individual investors do terrible ,especially left to their own control of the money .

fear , greed and emotions cause them to lag and the more volatile the markets are the worse as a group they lag .

the whole idea of an insurance program like ss is to be there in a 1929 collapse for retirees
With the 2008 crash, SS beneficiaries did not lose one dime. SS has to remain as risk free as possible, so it makes no sense to expose it to the vagaries of the stock markets.

Old 08-05-2023, 12:15 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,042,068 times
I think Social Security (as implemented) is a dumb idea to begin with. Its a perfect example of a government program gone bad.

While it is true the excess money collected through the tax are held in bonds, the borrower side of those bonds is our dear uncle sam who spends like a drunken sailor and is rapidly approaching an unmanageable debt level.

Other countries handle this much better. They should have long long ago directed those taxes into individual retirement accounts that have directed investments into broad markets. Accounts that don't simply vanish when one passes but instead are property of the individual and are an inheritable asset.

I have planned my retirement without considering Social Security. If I get it, then it will just be the cherry on top to go have a little extra fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing