Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 03:36 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,082,980 times

Advertisements

My TD Ameritrade account was converted to a Schwab account over the Labor Day Weekend. When I logged in the first time I went to check their selection of brokered CDs. They only had 2 CDs available with maturities three months and under - a 1 month CD and a 3 month CD paying 4.99%, not that great. For comparison, Fidelity at the same time had 17 CDs available from 1-3 months. If anyone here uses Schwab for brokered CDs is that limited selection normal or do they usually have more available? If it is normal for them then I’m going to transfer my Schwab account to Fidelity as I mainly buy CDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 04:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
My TD Ameritrade account was converted to a Schwab account over the Labor Day Weekend.
Wow! I thought that all happened last year.
Quote:
...I went to check their selection of brokered CDs.
They only had 2 CDs available with maturities three months and under ...
Not surprising really.

Quote:
Fidelity at the same time had 17 CDs available from 1-3 months.
Still, not all that many (short term) choices

Quote:
...If it is normal for them then I’m going to transfer my Schwab account to Fidelity.
Okay. But whether at Schwab or Fidelity ... the Q about short maturity term remains.
When will you start to extend them? 1yr 2yr 3yr etc?

Old 09-05-2023, 05:36 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Wow! I thought that all happened last year.
Not surprising really.

Still, not all that many (short term) choices

Okay. But whether at Schwab or Fidelity ... the Q about short maturity term remains.
When will you start to extend them? 1yr 2yr 3yr etc?
I don’t really need many choices as my main criteria in choosing a CD is the earliest settlement date and secondarily the yield. My cash at TDA earned only .4% and I think Schwab is maybe a little more but not much. If there is only one CD available and it settles in 10 days, that’s 10 days I’m only earning .40% instead of 5% or more. Fidelity puts my cash in a government money market fund now earning about 5%. In that regard Fidelity is much better than TDA and Schwab.

I don’t plan on going for long maturities anytime soon because I don’t like to tie my money up for a year or more. I might go for CDs longer than three months if the Fed signals they will be making a series of interest cuts but I don’t see a reduction in inflation when I shop.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:52 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I just logged into my Schwab account, and looked at the short term brokered CD list. Today I see two offered for one month CDs and three offered for three month CDs. All of the CDs I have purchased through Schwab settled within a couple of days.

Lately, as my CDs mature, I've been buying 3 month T-bills (new issue at auction) through my Schwab account. The interest rates are a bit better than CDs, and if you live in a state with income taxes, they are state income tax free.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
If I was looking at 3 month or less I'd just stick the money in Schwab's money market SWVXX paying 5.2%.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:52 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
My TD Ameritrade account was converted to a Schwab account over the Labor Day Weekend. When I logged in the first time I went to check their selection of brokered CDs. They only had 2 CDs available with maturities three months and under - a 1 month CD and a 3 month CD paying 4.99%, not that great. For comparison, Fidelity at the same time had 17 CDs available from 1-3 months. If anyone here uses Schwab for brokered CDs is that limited selection normal or do they usually have more available? If it is normal for them then I’m going to transfer my Schwab account to Fidelity as I mainly buy CDs.
I just did a search for 3-month CDs and I get a whole page of them, probably at least 50. Here are the first few...
Attached Thumbnails
Schwab brokered CDs - limited selection?-capture.jpg  

Old 09-05-2023, 08:27 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just did a search for 3-month CDs and I get a whole page of them, probably at least 50. Here are the first few...
Those don't look like "new issue" CDs for the full term. Those are previously issued, where you buy at the going market rate for the remainder of their term.

i agree with the previous comment, that the Schwab money market fund is paying 5.2 percent or better, which is not a bad deal for short term funds. Nice thing with a money market fund is you can move cash in or out within a day. I use the Schwab money market for my emergency cash fund, which is about 12 months of expenses.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:21 AM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:

I haven't checked at Schwab lately, but the CD offerings at Fidelity change daily. I've looked on days when only 2-3 3-month CDs were available and days when 30-40 were offered.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:21 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Those don't look like "new issue" CDs for the full term. Those are previously issued, where you buy at the going market rate for the remainder of their term.

i agree with the previous comment, that the Schwab money market fund is paying 5.2 percent or better, which is not a bad deal for short term funds. Nice thing with a money market fund is you can move cash in or out within a day. I use the Schwab money market for my emergency cash fund, which is about 12 months of expenses.
These are all new issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Schwab brokered CDs - limited selection?-capture.jpg  

Old 09-05-2023, 11:30 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Wow! I thought that all happened last year. (snip)
My TDA accounts STILL haven't been transferred. They give you a 3 month window, with email notice beforehand, which I haven't rec'd yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing