Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 07:47 AM

107,034 posts, read 109,346,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK let's think about that one. Vacation destination = rich people who have money to spend = full restaurants. Now, let's look at middle class America where I am, and a lunch destination on a Friday, that for many years, has been full of people, is empty this past Friday and lunch, that used to cost me $10, is now $17, and I'm getting less food. Illegal aliens are creating a glut of workers, and driving down wages, and the poor and middle class are getting squeezed. Meanwhile, housing prices are up. Insurance costs are up. Health insurance costs are up. Grocery costs are up. Automobile costs are up. Day care costs are up. Let's not forget - higher education costs are up. This is unsustainable in long run. You're wealthy, mathjak, and living a different lifestyle than most people.
the mere fact there are hiring signs everywhere that can’t be filled from local deli and pizza places to sophisticated business like the company i do work for , business is doing fine in general .

we have 58 open jobs spanning long island , brooklyn , mansfield ohio , middletown ct , auburn ny , buffalo ny , syracuse ny and 2 towns in new jersey …

so things are no where near recessionary.

all our vendors are dying for people ..all our customers are starving for people

trying to get a contractor to do work can be an ordeal they are so busy and booked

so the people that support 70-80% of consumer spending in this country are still spending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2023, 08:02 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,349,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the mere fact there are hiring signs everywhere that can’t be filled from local deli and pizza places to sophisticated business like the company i do work for , business is doing fine in general .

we have 58 open jobs spanning long island , brooklyn , mansfield ohio , middletown ct , auburn ny , buffalo ny , syracuse ny and 2 towns in new jersey …

so things are no where near recessionary.

all our vendors are dying for people ..all our customers are starving for people

trying to get a contractor to do work can be an ordeal they are so busy and booked

so the people that support 70-80% of consumer spending in this country are still spending
Guess we will find out in 6 months who was right.

Old 10-08-2023, 08:19 AM

irrelevant for a long term investor with a strategy..that is the whole idea of having a portfolio able to span the different time frames as the money is needed without trying to be a soothsayer with a crystal ball

anyone using a portfolio that has different allocations to different asset classes only needs to look and or rebalance every year or so.

some who want a rising glide path to equities or whatever asset is running with the ball can do it every couple of years .no reason to even look at where things are inbetween

Old 10-08-2023, 08:32 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,349,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
irrelevant for a long term investor with a strategy..that is the whole idea of having a portfolio able to span the different time frames as the money is needed without trying to be a soothsayer with a crystal ball

anyone using a portfolio that has different allocations to different asset classes only needs to look and or rebalance every year or so.

some who want a rising glide path to equities or whatever asset is running with the ball can do it every couple of years .no reason to even look at where things are inbetween
Again, we'll see in 6 months if my 'rebalancing' was a good move, or not.

Old 10-08-2023, 08:41 AM

4,466 posts, read 8,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I recommend taking a nap!
Quote:
I recommend NOT napping through what may be on the way. I recommend paying greater attention than ever - and trusting nobody except your own gut instincts.

Agreed on taking a nap:

https://lifehacker.com/the-best-inve...fol-1782581085

I went to lunch on Tuesday with my coworker and the place was as busy as regular. Just a few tables open and plenty of to go orders.

Last edited by oneasterisk; 10-08-2023 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-08-2023, 09:51 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,142,523 times
Quote:
We will find out in less than 3 months, January 1st, 2024.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inve...ket-short.html
Quote:
We all know a stuck clock is right twice a day. I called a market top back in February and it didn't happen but I'm calling another one right here. Huge amounts of bad news: inflation, interest rates going higher, "possible" return of lockdowns next year, political instability, restart of student loan repayments, consumer credit card debt at very high levels, world political uncertainty / war, extremely high housing costs, illegal aliens by the hundreds of thousands who are going to put pressure on wages and/or have to be taken care of, strike against auto companies..... on and on

DJIA is at 34,440 as I type this and could easily be below 30,000 by 1/1/24. Let's see what happens.

Old 10-08-2023, 09:56 AM

3,359 posts, read 1,241,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Due to jobs report that came out.
Wasn’t the jobs report better than expected?

Old 10-08-2023, 10:00 AM

3,359 posts, read 1,241,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The stock market is unpredictable. Personally, I put money in when the market goes down, sort of the opposite of what many other people do. I look at it as a sale and I can get more for my buck. But I also regard investments as long term.

I think there is a strong possibility of a recession or at least a slowdown. The return of student loan payments is going to be a factor. But hopefully any slowdown might be minor.

People on this thread are again blaming Joe Biden and Uncle Joe certainly deserves some blame. But the incredible overspending by Congress deserves even more, especially when Nancy Pelosi was speaker. Because that massive overspending is now causing the FED to raise interest rates.

But the FED itself must take a huge amount of blame as well. First, they missed the boat on rising inflation even when Nancy Pelosi & friends went on a spending spree. And now there is a danger of them overreacting to make up for their initial neglect.
The bulk of the “massive spending” was by the last administration. The republicans will vote for anything if the president is a Republican.

Old 10-08-2023, 10:16 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,142,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Wasn’t the jobs report better than expected?
A good jobs report is bad during a rate hike cycle. Feds may have to continue raising rates for a longer period of time.

During a rate hike cycle, a modestly weak jobs report is good news. Feds will be done after the next rate hike.

Old 10-08-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
no , we will see when you tell us you are fully invested and pulled everything out of stocks that you tried to do better with by being in fixed income.

only then can you say if you did better or worse with your timing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing