Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 01:55 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I picked up 100 shares of Nvidia at 445.16 for the IRA account. It's been sitting in cash for 2-3 months. I am looking for 4 more tickers this week.

When I see doomer threads pop up more often, it's time to jump back in. I am a contrarian.
Me too. I have a few I'm watching for a deep sell off and then I jump in.
I'm a bull in the bear market like you.

"Never let a crisis go to waste"
Rahm Emanuel

That man was 1000% correct when he said that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 03:37 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is crashing for the moment until the panic people sell out. Then smart money moves in. We shall see how low it goes. Our anti-cheap energy government that was voted in isn't helping matters of course as we are coming off a pandemic and they are not allowing cheap energy sources to flow. We are getting what we deserve however.
Simultaneously some are getting what they did not deserve nor ask for.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:02 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,068,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Simultaneously some are getting what they did not deserve nor ask for.

Like lowering 401K values I didn't ask for, the house will be next; but fortunately I'm in the most stable market in the nation.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:05 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,740,041 times
A downturn is inevitable. Fed has over-reacted and rates are too high. We still need much more housing, yet projects are being cancelled and everyone from bank staff to tradespeople are getting pink slips despite months or years long wait lists for housing in my area. Next jobs report is going to be ugly, but maybe "camouflaged" by the labor shortage.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:12 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
A downturn is inevitable. Fed has over-reacted and rates are too high. We still need much more housing, yet projects are being cancelled and everyone from bank staff to tradespeople are getting pink slips despite months or years long wait lists for housing in my area. Next jobs report is going to be ugly, but maybe "camouflaged" by the labor shortage.

Americans are spending like no tomorrow...yet we have a labor shortage.
We have 7+million illegals with many getting work permits...yet we have a labor shortage.

I live in a tourist town and for a while there was a labor shortage when things started to pick back up again but today...I don't see any labor shortage around me anymore.

And if you go to Daily Job Cuts ...there are hundreds and hundreds of layoffs happening.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:20 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,961,815 times
Starting to look like a good opportunity to buy physical gold.

Old 10-03-2023, 05:34 PM

3,595 posts, read 1,797,346 times
Government spending(Fed, state, and local) made up 40% of our economy last year. This could get really ugly if there’s a downturn. The deficits would be astronomical. Interest rates would sky rocket.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:42 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The sky is not falling.

The Dow is still up over where it was last year, and WAY up over where it was 4 years ago.

And that was WAY WAY up over 10 years ago.

Brave money makes money. Don't lose heart.
Nope, it went down for the year today. And last year was already a disaster for the stock market. Bidenomics, the gift that keeps on giving. Just one more of the disasters Oatmeal has dumped on the American people.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:43 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Government spending(Fed, state, and local) made up 40% of our economy last year. This could get really ugly if there’s a downturn. The deficits would be astronomical. Interest rates would sky rocket.
It's already ugly. All our government debt is being refinanced at higher interest rates. Interest on the debt alone is a major factor in government spending.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:35 PM

37,647 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Good. Its overvalued.
We still have not recovered back to the highs of Dec 2021. If it was overvalued then, and we are still down today, nearly 2 years later...when might it be properly valued? What's your number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post

We need to deleverage this speculative environment we are in of excessive printing. With bond yields at 5% and the stock market this high it's silly to choose equities right now. Definitely not an environment we've seen for a generation. Hope they keep doing QT...hope they don't adopt a "bail out everyone" mentality (but they will)

If you used your home "equity" to take out a loan and spend the money on useless stuff, its nobody's fault but your own. Same with all debtors who leverage recklessly.
A couple of years ago I used my home equity to take out a loan to build a new shed. Was that "useless stuff" in your view? What makes you think no one takes out loans for USEFUL stuff?

And I just paid my HELOC off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing