Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 03:14 PM

3,790 posts, read 5,337,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This is the result of turmoil in the House of Representatives; investors fear a government shutdown just before Thanksgiving which will ruin any chances of a soft landing and may tip the economy into serious recession.
No, this is not a result of what's happening in the House of Representatives.

The market drops and people start creating their own convenient narratives. Looking back in history we can see that market drops have often occurred in October. It's being called "The October Effect".

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/04/inves...20in%20October.

There are several factors going on. First, the student loan repayment pause has finally ended so money that was going into things now will have to go to loan repayment. This has been reported on by several news sites.

Second, higher interest rates feed into slower investment by companies. With the Fed only pausing, but not signalling a stop in the raises, companies are putting a pause on their plans.

Third, some of us are putting new money into CDs and not stocks. I am watching the price moves of a couple of my holdings because I want to add more shares; but the implied yield on those stock buys are competing with the 5.55% that I am getting on CDs right now.

This isn't a crash, yet. And interest rates are not too high. Compare them with what happened in the 1980s under the last true dingbat of a president and the rates today still compare very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 03:21 PM

3,790 posts, read 5,337,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
A downturn is inevitable. Fed has over-reacted and rates are too high. We still need much more housing, yet projects are being cancelled and everyone from bank staff to tradespeople are getting pink slips despite months or years long wait lists for housing in my area. Next jobs report is going to be ugly, but maybe "camouflaged" by the labor shortage.
No, rates are not too high. Where were you in the 1980s when rates were in double digits?

I think that a coupon rate or interest rate of 5-6% is probably close to the sweet spot. Money should have a time value; i.e., savers should get paid for postponing the use of their money so that non-savers can party away.

The hyper-low interest rates of the past few years has led to an excess of risk-taking for which taxpayers have had to bail out many of the losers. When those risk takers hit a home run, taxpayers don't get the gain, so why should they take the losses?

Old 10-04-2023, 04:25 PM

5,364 posts, read 5,145,684 times
Except for big tech, everything has pretty much priced in the bad news. Bonds are heavily declined, small caps have been down for a while, international is super cheap...

Assuming nothing really unwinds, which historically is the likely situation, valuations are set up across many different market avenues (except big tech) for several years of good gains.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:13 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,595,616 times
A typical October so far. Sept a bad month, as is often the case. S&P cont'd losses 10/1 -10/4, but Nasdaq recovered somewhat 10/1 - 10/4.

Should be able to see how Oct will do in another couple of weeks.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:30 PM

17 posts, read 8,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
No, rates are not too high. Where were you in the 1980s when rates were in double digits?

I think that a coupon rate or interest rate of 5-6% is probably close to the sweet spot. Money should have a time value; i.e., savers should get paid for postponing the use of their money so that non-savers can party away.

The hyper-low interest rates of the past few years has led to an excess of risk-taking for which taxpayers have had to bail out many of the losers. When those risk takers hit a home run, taxpayers don't get the gain, so why should they take the losses?
Ha, yes, people today whining about "high" interest rates; they are around normal now. As I recall, when I was young passbook savings accounts paid 5%. My first mortgage in 1975 was at 8.5%, and they even went double digits after that.

The ridiculous zero rates were obviously unsustainable. This is what happens when politics gets mixed in with currency management. Of course it could get a lot worse.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:34 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,365,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Kidding View Post
Ha, yes, people today whining about "high" interest rates; they are around normal now. As I recall, when I was young passbook savings accounts paid 5%. My first mortgage in 1975 was at 8.5%, and they even went double digits after that.

The ridiculous zero rates were obviously unsustainable. This is what happens when politics gets mixed in with currency management. Of course it could get a lot worse.
Yeah, but housing was much more affordable compared to average incomes back then even with the high interest rates.

And from my understanding, US debt levels were much more manageable back then as well.

Nowadays, we are running deficits into the TRILLIONS now!

Unless the Federal govt either massively cuts spending or raise taxes (or both), these higher interest rates are going to explode the US debt.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:48 PM

7,860 posts, read 3,850,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The stock market is unpredictable.
Untrue. It is very predictable.

Tomorrow, it will go up, unless it goes down or stays flat.

See?

Old 10-04-2023, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 8,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Yeah, but housing was much more affordable compared to average incomes back then even with the high interest rates.

And from my understanding, US debt levels were much more manageable back then as well.

Nowadays, we are running deficits into the TRILLIONS now!

Unless the Federal govt either massively cuts spending or raise taxes (or both), these higher interest rates are going to explode the US debt.
My first house in '75 was an old 6-bedroom farmhouse, somewhat rough but livable. It was $22,000 and I was making about $6-7/hour as a journeyman moldmaker. Someone can update those numbers.

Today, houses (and cars) are much more extravagant than they were back then. Modern houses have multiple bathrooms, central air, decks, etc. My house had a dirt floor in the basement, an old inefficient oil furnace, a well that went dry often, kitchen and bathroom were all probably WWII era, no shower only a tub.

Yes, at some point gov't will be forced to cut spending, but they got themselves into this mess. What was the low point for 30-year mortgages -- around 3-4%? And zero interest car loans? Something that cannot go on for ever won't.

The point of "high" (normalized, actually) interest rates is: Don't borrow money -- loan it. I'm retired and doing fine holding bond funds. But I realize younger people especially cannot do that.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:46 AM

23,231 posts, read 29,071,258 times
If the Stock Market fell 5,000 points, no worries!
If the Stock Market fell 10,000 points, no worries!
If the Stock Market fell 15,000 points, no worries!

I remember losing money in the early 80's and I saw the market finally hit 1,000!

Why the market is up in the 30,000's is beyond me!!!

Old 10-05-2023, 07:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,295,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If the Stock Market fell 5,000 points, no worries!
If the Stock Market fell 10,000 points, no worries!
If the Stock Market fell 15,000 points, no worries!

I remember losing money in the early 80's and I saw the market finally hit 1,000!

Why the market is up in the 30,000's is beyond me!!!
Exactly. Everyone thinks they are an expert when the market just keeps going up. Now that the bears are in control for the time being, let's see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing