Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 01:51 PM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Yes a permanent 1.3% added to the I-bond inflation rate is a good deal.
No, a permanent 1.3% real rate of return is not a good deal. Forget I-Bond as the instrument. A permanent 1.3% real rate of return for a risk free instrument (it is the US government and hence risk-free) is not a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 01:58 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the rates change every 6 months on i bonds while money markets change daily …that could be good or bad depending if rates go up or down.

right now i rather own money markets and short term bond funds that exceed the i bonds and can be easily traded , sold or spent.

perhaps if they allowed 5 to 10x the limits they have it would be worth it but as of now it s to much trouble for to little overall reward for me to bother
Agree. I have been buying t-bills for the first time in my life. I bought at this week’s auction and got 17 week bills at a 5.44%. My money market is at 5.1%.

I did sock a little away in 10-year notes at 4.6%

Old 11-10-2023, 02:25 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
As my first post stated: the interest rate of an I-bond rate bought now is 5.27%, that rate is guaranteed for 6 months from Nov 1.

Unlike other bonds, even other Treasury bonds, I-bonds are tax-free while accumulating interest.
And when they are cashed in they can be totally tax-free if used for education.
Or you can cash them when retired and you may be in a lower tax bracket.

If your bond is paying 4.5% interest and your taxes are 20% then your after-tax interest rate on your bonds is 3.6%.
I-bonds paying 5.27% for the win.

Old 11-10-2023, 02:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Forget I-Bond as the instrument. A permanent 1.3% real rate of return for a risk free instrument (it is the US government and hence risk-free) is not a good deal.
The 1.3% is not permanent. A savings bond owner is not subject to interest rate risk in the traditional sense. If rates go up the owner can redeem at the accrued value, pay the taxes and then reinvest at the higher yield. There's also a penalty of 3 months' interest if redeemed after less than five years.

Such a maneuver is not possible with marketable bonds. If interest rates go up, the price of the bond drops accordingly.

Old 11-10-2023, 04:34 PM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
And when they are cashed in they can be totally tax-free if used for education.
I wonder if they are tax free if I use them to support Candy, a pole dancer at a local club. She's a student studying for her law degree, after all.

Old 11-10-2023, 05:40 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
For taxable accounts there's nothing "safe" that will give a positive return after inflation and taxes. I-bonds might be interesting to someone who (1) has maxed out other tax-deferred offerings available to them, (2) does not want all of their long-term money in stocks.

Of course they have their limitations. They mature in 30 years, interest penalty applies if held less than five years, and no rebalancing into other assets without paying taxes. The positives are (1) exempt from state income tax, (2) federal taxes deferred until redemption, and (3) will never see a loss.
Yep. And the interest "penalty" is simply the last 3 months of interest. The LAST 3 months that has accrued. So if you cash in after the rate has dropped low- you are really not losing much. I can't imagine that I would not cash mine in after 5 years, or before, but who knows. If the rates go WAY up, I would cash out and repurchase, for sure. I have no tax-deferred options at all now, so have not added to my investments since I retired. The cash that I used to buy mine came out of a savings account that was earning next to nothing. I'm satisfied.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:02 PM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
ChessieMom, I also keep 25k in IBond because they are easily accessible and I get more interest than a savings account. It’s perfect for this type of situation and not sure why people are so negative. Obviously it’s not a place for putting all your money.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:10 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
ChessieMom, I also keep 25k in IBond because they are easily accessible and I get more interest than a savings account. It’s perfect for this type of situation and not sure why people are so negative. Obviously it’s not a place for putting all your money.
Yup that’s the way I see it too.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:31 PM

18,053 posts, read 15,649,855 times
iBonds definitely have their place and time. For parking money in a "safe" place, it's one option to consider. Brokered CDs have their place, as do individual bonds.

Old 11-11-2023, 08:28 AM

982 posts, read 607,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
For taxable accounts there's nothing "safe" that will give a positive return after inflation and taxes. I-bonds might be interesting to someone who (1) has maxed out other tax-deferred offerings available to them, (2) does not want all of their long-term money in stocks.

Of course they have their limitations. They mature in 30 years, interest penalty applies if held less than five years, and no rebalancing into other assets without paying taxes. The positives are (1) exempt from state income tax, (2) federal taxes deferred until redemption, and (3) will never see a loss.
Can you or someone explain how the interest penalty works? We have 10,000 each (husband) and are considering taking it out at 5 yr. mark. How much of a hit will we take?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing