Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 12:19 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,107,208 times

Advertisements

There are quarterly SEC "13-F" reporting requirements where firms of a certain size disclose positions. It's a cottage industry to follow what Buffett reports each quarter and there are analysts who one may follow who try to divine the meaning of Buffett's moves. Here's a sample of the reporting done on his filings..

Here's a list of BK filings. I don't see BYD listed in his latest filing. IIRC Buffett also has his own personal holdings aside from BK.

He loves insurance firms for the 'float' they offer. Float is the 'free money' he holds after policy holders pay their policy premiums while he waits for a damage claim and payout he hopes never comes, and for most of us there are few damage payouts. I've been with Geico for 50 years, one payout of a few thousand, so he has been able to keep almost all of the 'float' on my policy, now around $1400/year. Easy money. He uses the float to invest our money to his benefit, and he pays no interest to us as he'd have to if he borrowed that money from a lender.

I know he once held some BYD, sold some of his position, not sure if he still holds any of that stock. He may have been taking some profits off the table, but maybe he is aware that relations between China and the US are getting rocky and is taking his money to safe haven before the SHTF. He may own some in his personal accounts, I see no BYD in any of the several BK 13-F forms I've looked at.

BK's SEC 10-Q filings also contain info on major positions taken in a given quarter.

I spend very little time following BK or Buffett so this posting is probably not as comprehensive as it could be.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 01:37 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,328,384 times
Quote:
I don't see BYD listed in his latest filing.
As a foreign holding (Berkshire holds Hong Kong shares) BYD is not required to be included on the 13-F filing. Berkshire’s Japanese holdings are not included either.

Also, I believe BYD was held at the BHE subsidiary level, so I think you’d need to look at the BHE filings to see if they still own any of it. I believe they do still own quite a bit.

Last edited by treasurekidd; 12-13-2023 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-17-2023, 03:06 PM

170 posts, read 76,021 times
But I keep hearing those HK shares are not SHARES??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing