Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 11:20 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Life would be boring without a portfolio of fruitcakes
As Rose Nyland once said, "Christmas without fruitcake is like St. Sigmund's day without the headless boy."

Old 11-27-2023, 11:29 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic2020 View Post
Hi all,

I would like to invest 100k savings but not sure what are the best options right now. I have no huge debts and have emergency funds. And also, I don't foresee using these funds in near future. Therefore, I am fine with moderate risk (not high risk). Please provide your suggestions.
Quote:
I am in late 40's. 100k is approximately 10% of my total portfolio. The rest of my portfolio is in the form of IRA, 401K, company stocks, high-yield savings account etc. I am in 35% tax bracket.
Seems to me that you have the typical array of main characters. So my flippant suggestions are meant to explore the voids between your main investments. The leading edge investing are what the really wealthy explore.
YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 11:40 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Seems to me that you have the typical array of main characters. So my flippant suggestions are meant to explore the voids between your main investments. The leading edge investing are what the really wealthy explore.
YMMV
most leading edge investments are not for those who have to come on here to find out what to even invest in

Old 11-27-2023, 11:53 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
A comment on rental property: when you are a landlord, you are operating a business. Some people are cut out for it; others are not. People I know who have been landlords for long periods of time are indeed cut out for it. Others become landlords but sell after a few years because of headaches and losses; they are not cut out to operate a business.
A few things. I agree with the above. I have made more money in rentals by a long shot than had I put it in other vehicles. But you definitely need to know what you’re doing. It can be a time suck if it’s not set up well.
I live off this business that takes a few hours a month to run , but there’s a lot of people that have gotten worked over and it hasn’t ended well.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:57 AM

our manhattan stuff blew away our market portfolio but our queens holding lagged our equity portfolio badly

Old 11-27-2023, 12:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I would like to invest 100k savings but not sure what are the best options right now. I have no huge debts and have emergency funds. And also, I don't foresee using these funds in near future. Therefore, I am fine with moderate risk (not high risk). Please provide your suggestions.
Quote:
Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I don't need the funds in the near-future. I am in my late 40s and would like to have this as my long term savings. So based on what I read, the suggestion is to have a balanced portfolio of bonds and stocks. I like Fidelity. So maybe I should consider approaching them. A part of me wants to buy a house with this money but I dont want to get stressed with tenant issues etc. But I am hoping that I will have some passive income.
Quote:
I am in late 40's. 100k is approximately 10% of my total portfolio. The rest of my portfolio is in the form of IRA, 401K, company stocks, high-yield savings account etc. I am in 35% tax bracket.
OP - Interestingly enough I'm at similar age of 43 and recently received 100k in disposable cash after selling a 2nd home and paying off my primary residence. It's been sitting in SPAXX while I figure out what to do with it. I've decided I'll be keeping 20k in SPAXX and the rest into VTI within my Fidelity brokerage account.

As a former landlord, I'd caution getting into that investment unless you want to deal with tenants and home repairs. Even if you're not doing the actual maintenance, you'll still be dealing with coordinating contractors with tenants. It's not a passive endeavor as some would have you believe.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:17 PM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Quote:
Can you determine how much of your total portfolio, including the $100K, is in which

The idea is to build a pie chart of percentages:
A% is equity and hence exposed to equity risk
B% is debt (bonds) and hence exposed to bond risk
C% is in cash or cash eqivalents (where you can withdraw the cash today)
D% is in Certificates of Deposit
E% is in real estate (either that you own or are in a stock of a real estate investment trust - REIT)
F% is in alternatives that could hypothetically be sold at some point - such as precious metals, fine art, rare coins, muscle cars
... or anything else that is significant.

EDIT: is 35% your combined state/federal marginal tax bracket, or just federal?

Old 11-27-2023, 04:00 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
A few things. I agree with the above. I have made more money in rentals by a long shot than had I put it in other vehicles. But you definitely need to know what you’re doing. It can be a time suck if it’s not set up well.
I live off this business that takes a few hours a month to run , but there’s a lot of people that have gotten worked over and it hasn’t ended well.
What kind of rentals do you have and how did you get them?

Old 11-27-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
OP - Interestingly enough I'm at similar age of 43 and recently received 100k in disposable cash after selling a 2nd home and paying off my primary residence. It's been sitting in SPAXX while I figure out what to do with it. I've decided I'll be keeping 20k in SPAXX and the rest into VTI within my Fidelity brokerage account.

As a former landlord, I'd caution getting into that investment unless you want to deal with tenants and home repairs. Even if you're not doing the actual maintenance, you'll still be dealing with coordinating contractors with tenants. It's not a passive endeavor as some would have you believe.
for those with large cash positions fidelitys highest yielding money market is FDZXX , but it has a 100k min .

it pays almost a third of a percent more .. for us it works well because we keep two years spending in cash

Old 11-27-2023, 04:11 PM

4,858 posts, read 454,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Agreed, but its not the same as having a tangible asset in my opinion.
True, but without tenant headaches, upkeep, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing