Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 07:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The amount of fixed income someone has is sometimes what they decide it is. We could increase our fixed income because we have a fairly large 401k balance and a fairly large "cash" savings account that if w chose to do so, we just withdraw the interest, we could increase our monthly "fixed income" by quite a bit. However, we choose to live on just Social Security and my very small pension which total just $4,500 a month. However, as our expenses average just about $3,400 a month, we are doing quite well -- so far, at least (knock wood).

We do live very frugally, however, with only one car and a paid-off home and a very casual lifestyle, and we don't try to impress anyone. We actually have no splurges to speak of -- for example, my main "entertainment" expense is the purchase of used books (as our local library is not very good), and my husband's main entertainment expense is fishing lures. We no longer travel, and with the decline in restaurant service and the increase in restaurant prices, we no longer go out to eat. (We are both very good cooks, however, which also saves quite a bit of money.)

P.S. We intend to save the 401k and our savings for our very old age to pay for some kind of home health aide, if that proves necessary, plus we could sell our home if we need to move to some kind of ALF.

This is similar to our situation as we live on Social Security and pensions. Our RMDs go into a taxable 3 fund portfolio.

We don't have a whole lot in bond funds and are currently putting monthly deposits in MMFs and CDs.

We aren't necessarily interested in leaving legacy money as our kids are doing well. If our IRAs aren't needed for future care, I'm sure our kids will be happy to receive an inheritance.

Like Katharsis, we no longer travel, developed a greater interest in home cooking during Covid, eating out less often than before Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 08:03 AM

7,734 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Correct, a default could be just a missed payment or it could be not paying principle.
I believe in some cases a technical default occurs when certain financial metrics of the borrower fall below threshold numbers indicating a deterioration in the financial condition of the company. This technical default occurs even if the borrower NEVER misses a payment, and the technical default can trigger all sorts of hypothetical things.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
2022 was a rude awakening. It absolutely mauled bond funds, even those of modest duration and specializing in the lowest risk-category (tax-exempt municipals, etc.). Having sustained 2022, I struggle to equate bonds with capital preservation.
Which municipal tax exempt bond defaulted in 2022? I recall:

Puerto Rico restructuring in 2016
Detroit defaulting on some GOs in 2013
Stockton CA in 2012
Jefferson County AL in 2008
Jefferson Parish LA in 2008
Vallejo in 2008

But I don't recall anything in 2022.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
by the way i lost 3% in a money market in 2008 when the money market , the RESERVE , the oldest in the country broke the buck
Me too.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

2022 has taught we that bonds aren't like cash, just with higher rates of return! That is the message that I'd like to convey here.
Very true.

But with your infinite holding timeframe, and with interest payments reinvested, those reinvestments occurred with bond prices quite low thereby giving you a nice expectation for ROI going forward.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:23 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I believe in some cases a technical default occurs when certain financial metrics of the borrower fall below threshold numbers indicating a deterioration in the financial condition of the company. This technical default occurs even if the borrower NEVER misses a payment, and the technical default can trigger all sorts of hypothetical things.
Right. So default percentages by themselves don’t tell the whole story.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:25 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Which municipal tax exempt bond defaulted in 2022? I recall:

Puerto Rico restructuring in 2016
Detroit defaulting on some GOs in 2013
Stockton CA in 2012
Jefferson County AL in 2008
Jefferson Parish LA in 2008
Vallejo in 2008

But I don't recall anything in 2022.
Most of the recent muni defaults which there were few, were senior centers and education related. All were not rated.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:41 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I'm pretty certain the peasant is not talking about defaults, but rather the falling bond prices in 2022, caused by higher interest rates.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:56 AM

372 posts, read 308,674 times
I have excessive cash in a money market, but was advised to move some of it to CDs or my bonds to lock in months to years yields, before June, when most are thinking the Fed will lower rates.

I'll do it, but watch inflation shoot up in a surprise

Old 03-26-2024, 10:07 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I'm pretty certain the peasant is not talking about defaults, but rather the falling bond prices in 2022, caused by higher interest rates.
Yup. For some reason, everyone is obsessed here with default risk. In a bond fund, even if a few holdings default, the aggregate won't be much affected. But interest rates... well, that was the rude awakening. 2022 was unprecedented. No such thing happened in 2008, or (I'm guessing here - didn't look it up) in 1982, 1973 or even 1929-1932. The mantra, "bonds may be slow and inferior to stocks in the CAGR, but they're safe, solid and downright boring"... was obliterated by 2022.

As for holding period etc., yes, presumably an intermediate-term bond fund will recover in... intermediate term; so that if my self-declared holding period is infinite, it shouldn't matter in infinite time. This is true. But I'm not holding bond funds with objective of maximum return over infinite time. Were that to have been the case, I'd have zero bond fund holdings, instead being 100% in stocks, maybe leavened by something in private equity or other exotics. The purpose of bond funds is to tamp-down on volatility (standard deviation). Thus again, 2022 was a rude awakening.

What about individual bonds? I admit no knowledge of them, or even how to buy them. Can one call Fidelity/Vanguard/Schwab, asking the kind gentleman or lady fielding the call, to place an order? If not, I'm lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing