Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 64,109 times

Advertisements

I have had several CD's in that past and I really have been thinking about investing in stocks to get better returns but I know nothing about stocks and I have a very hard time understanding what they are and how they work.....can someone please clarify what they are, how to invest, and when to get your money out and everything else I need to know in order to invest in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 03:15 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,707,592 times
I would recommend re posting your questions in a better forum. Here are some you might check out:

Mortgages Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Business, Finance, and Investing Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

You'll probably get better responses.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:52 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,742,645 times
Moved from the Richmond forum.
Yac.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:19 AM

823 posts, read 3,692,406 times
Do not get involved investing in something you know nothing about. Go to the library and read introductory investment books. I suggest you go to Morningstar's web site: Morningstar You can read articles about every form of stock market investment and read the forums where you can ask questions.

I only invest in mutual funds which is a way I can own many stocks but do not depend on the performance of an individual stock.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:34 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,856,826 times
I like the Motley Fool.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 PM

541 posts, read 1,904,371 times
I highly suggest you invest in a stock index like the S&P 500. A stock index is a collection of stocks selected to represent portions of or the whole stock market. By investing in an index your return will mimic very closely the return of the overall stock market. This is important when taking into consideration that less than 20% of mutual funds have managed to outperform the S&P 500 over the past 10 years.

I would also look into a Roth IRA.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM

345 posts, read 468,128 times
If you really want to be proactive and educate yourself, try the basic investment information here: Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info

Try the "sticky's" at the top of the portfolio help forum, they give a good primer on indexing, allocation and risk.

Remember: No one cares more about your investments than you do, so learn about keeping your investing costs down and having your investments diversified. Avoid the futility of trying to chase performance trends. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:48 PM

939 posts, read 3,388,911 times
Go to your local bookstore and check out the investing section and read read read. Start reading financial newspapers & magazines (Barrons, Investors Business Daily, Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Kiplingers, Money). Watch CNBC when the market is open and the shows Fast Money and Jim Cramers Mad Money.

Be realistic with your expectations. You'll see stocks go up 30%+ in a year and you will get those returns on some stocks but that isn't the norm. Realistically you should just be happy if you outperform the market. For example the S&P 500 is down 11% over the past 12 months so you should just be happy if you only lost 8-9%. Some years the market is up 30% and you should be happy if you make 35%.

Diversify your portfolio. Don't be too concentrated in one industry. I have my portfolio in 5 different industries.

DON'T PANIC when the market is falling. There will be days when your portfolio will lose 5%+ of it's value and you have to be prepared to stomach those temporary loses. There will also be days when your portfolio will increase by 5%+ in one day (take the good with the bad)

Stay away from penny stocks (stocks under $1). There is a reason why it's a penny stock and that is usually because it's a poorly run company.

Be prepared to pay the tax man and keep records of all your transactions.

Don't make decisions too quickly. Take the time to research the companies before you invest in them.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,880,903 times
Don't buy individual stocks, too much risk

Your best bet is to buy mutual funds. There are funds for everything you could think of, everything from renewable energy funds, oil funds, retail funds, real estate funds, you name it. What I would do is buy mutual funds that you think were going to go up. If you think real estate is going to go up then buy real estate mutual funds so on so forth.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 PM

939 posts, read 3,388,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Don't buy individual stocks, too much risk

Your best bet is to buy mutual funds. There are funds for everything you could think of, everything from renewable energy funds, oil funds, retail funds, real estate funds, you name it. What I would do is buy mutual funds that you think were going to go up. If you think real estate is going to go up then buy real estate mutual funds so on so forth.
You don't need mutual funds if you diversify. Diversity lowers your risk. In addition, with mutual funds you really have no control over what taxes you'll end up paying. The fund can lose money for the year and you can still owe taxes. See the link below for more information about mutual funds and taxes.

http://mutualfunds.about.com/cs/taxes/a/capitalgains.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing