Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:23 PM

65 posts, read 523,720 times

Advertisements

Now that everybody's jumping on the 'green' bandwagon, is it a good idea to invest in Solar or Hydo power now? Or am I too late? Or is it too early? Anyone know of any websites that would give some primo stock picks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Depends on how old you are... short term, no... long term, yes.... as to whether which one will win in the end is almost impossible to know... if Big Business had their way, then I would say hydro, nuclear, wind, coal, and even oil (but not right now for oil, its overinflated).... If taxpayers (who aren't blind to rhetoric) had their way then geothermal and solar.... with the amount of corruption in the government, I might say go with Big Business but we will see..

Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If taxpayers (who aren't blind to rhetoric) had their way then geothermal and solar.... with the amount of corruption in the government, I might say go with Big Business but we will see..
Other than Hawaii where is the Geothermal at?

As with the OP's question. Evil is right. If your short term I see coal as a good bet. But I see eventually solar finally making an impact somewhere in 20 years. Of course that what they were saying in the 70's to, but this is what I believe. Now if your going to invest in solar look at Swedish companies that are producing Photo-voltaic cells. They are actually seriously working on making the panels more efficient and more productive. In other words they are trying to actually trying to make solar more viable for the world.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:19 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I am not referring to geothermal as in power plants but in heating/cooling a home... I know this requires a lot of land but there are "lake" systems in place as well where a developer could build a lake and lay down a "geothermal" heating/cooling system for the neighborhood... there are alternatives... here is a link to what I am talking about...

Geothermal heat pump - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Other than Hawaii where is the Geothermal at?

I think the largest geothermal facility in the country is in northern California. There is good potential for facilities along the Cascades as well as many other places in the country. Atlantic Geothermal, LLC: Heat Map Shows Great Potential for U.S.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
I think this company may be one to watch, it is not public yet though.

Nanosolar - Home Page (http://www.nanosolar.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-25-2008, 04:38 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I think the largest geothermal facility in the country is in northern California. There is good potential for facilities along the Cascades as well as many other places in the country. Atlantic Geothermal, LLC: Heat Map Shows Great Potential for U.S.

Hmmmmmm??????? Who would have thought Maine had some potential. Interesting.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
As soon as oil prices come back down -- and they will -- investment in alternative energy is going to dry up like a puddle in the Sahara. When oil and gold hit five-year lows and the dollar hits a five-year high, that will be the time to invest in alternative energies. That is, unless we discover gigantic new swaths of recoverable oil to keep us fueled for another 150 years, in which case diversify your energy holdings into the oil companies too.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Drover - With the limitless demand of the Indian and Chinese industry coming to the market what makes you think oil prices are ever going to come down? I think we are in the early run-up stage of oil pricing over the next couple of decades. Because of this demand I think oil field and energy services will do well over the next few years. I would also invest in wind turbine manufacturers and installers and some of the more creative solar photo voltaic companies.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Drover - With the limitless demand of the Indian and Chinese industry coming to the market what makes you think oil prices are ever going to come down? I think we are in the early run-up stage of oil pricing over the next couple of decades. Because of this demand I think oil field and energy services will do well over the next few years. I would also invest in wind turbine manufacturers and installers and some of the more creative solar photo voltaic companies.
Oil is never coming back down to $12 a barrel like it was 10 years ago. But a whole lot of the price run-up is driven by the devaluation of the dollar. Compare how much oil has risen in dollars compared to how much it has risen against more stable currencies. Once currency markets return to some semblance of order and balance (provided the Fed doesn't inflate us into a Depression, which unfortunately is no sure thing), the price of oil will come down both because it will take fewer dollars to buy a barrel of it and because investments that had clung to oil as a hedge against the dollar will start to move elsewhere.

But I do think you're right over the long term. Oil prices will continue an upward trend, but not before there's a bubble-burst. I wouldn't invest in alternative energies until after that burst, unless one plans to dollar-cost-average into an alternative-energy position over a number of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing