Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,937,607 times

Advertisements

I should have, when I started investing, gone to a coin dealer and bought a Krugerrand or a Maple Leaf. If I had bought one a month I would be in far better shape than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:56 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,951,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
A very easy way to become educated and to start investing would be to regularly read the following websites, or at least something from them:

Business, financial, personal finance news - CNNMoney.com
Yahoo! Finance
Business News and Financial News at Forbes.com
Personal Finance and Investing - MSN Money

If you have more time, it's also worth reading the FT and WSJ.

I wouldn't really recommend any of the "how-to" type books. Everything you need can be found online for free.

These two websites are fantastic for terminology:

InvestorWords.com - Investing Glossary
Investopedia.com - Your Source For Investing Education

A very easy and inexpensive way to start investing in securities is ShareBuilder from ING DIRECT: Buy Stocks Online and invest your money at ShareBuilder. Automatic trades are $4 (per buy), all other real-time trades are $9.95 per trade.

Good luck!

Here's one I like even better:

Fool.com: Fool's School

Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,558,638 times
DRIPs, learn how they work then start researching good stable companies, it's good for those just starting and young in age, low initial investment that you can build on at your own pace.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:36 AM

879 posts, read 1,966,698 times
Here's one of the best tips I can give you: When you start hearing people ragging on stocks, saying they're a gamble, and that they should have invested in gold instead, blah, blah, blah, because stocks have been down for a mere 11 months (apparently they think the stock market is supposed to go straight up), that's often the cue to start BUYING. Smart investors realize that stocks are for the long term, and done right (i.e. buying when prices are low and everyone's down on them, selling when prices are high and everyone loves them, intelligent asset allocation/diversification with periodical rebalancing, etc.) they're a pretty good bet to whup the pants--LONG TERM--off of the returns you'll get from other investments.

It's true, however, that before investing in the stock market, you should do some learning. Morningstar.com and the aforementioned Fool.com and Investopedia.com have plenty of good educational material to get you started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing