Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times

Advertisements

General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations -- Money to Come from U.S. Rescue Program

By Russ Dallen
Latin American Herald Tribune staff

SAO PAULO -- General Motors plans to invest $1 billion in Brazil to avoid the kind of problems the U.S. automaker is facing in its home market, said the beleaguered car maker.

According to the president of GM Brazil-Mercosur, Jaime Ardila, the funding will come from the package of financial aid that the manufacturer will receive from the U.S. government and will be used to "complete the renovation of the line of products up to 2012."

"It wouldn't be logical to withdraw the investment from where we're growing, and our goal is to protect investments in emerging markets," he said in a statement published by the business daily Gazeta Mercantil.

Meanwhile, he cut the company's revenue forecast for this year by 14% to $9.5 billion from $11 billion, as the economic crisis began to cause rapid slowdowns in sales.

GM already announced three programs of paid leave, and Ardila added that GM Brazil "is going to wait and see how the market behaves in order to know what decision to take" with regard to possible layoffs.

For Ardila, the injection in Brazil's automobile sector of 8 billion reais ($3.51 billion) recently announced by the federal and state governments of Sao Paulo "has already begun to revive sales," which fell by 12% in October.

The executive said that the company will operate a "conservative" scenario in 2009 with an estimated production of 2.6 million units, and another more "optimistic" that contemplates sales of 2.9 million.

This year sales will reach 2.85 million vehicles, which represents a growth of 15% over last year.

Latin American Herald Tribune - General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations -- Money to Come from U.S. Rescue Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Woof, this post along with mine on H1-B's in the banks just goes to show that the Corporations DO NOT CARE what happens in their own backyard. They care more about their profits.

Privatize profits and socialize debt. Hand them money and immediately they send it to another country to maximize their profits back home.

The letter writing and the voting do nothing. The citizens do not run the country anymore and haven't for a long time.

I just pray that Obama can stop this madness.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
Looks like we support the world on both sides of our borders.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:36 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
Yeah, and GM is looking for a tax break as well...

"General Motors Corp. is reaching out to the U.S. Treasury Department and Congress in hopes of avoiding a multibillion-dollar tax burden that could be attached to a new restructuring plan the auto maker is working to create by mid-February, according to people familiar with the effort.

GM, racing to submit a viability plan to the White House by Feb. 17, could face an income-tax bill of as much as $7 billion that would be associated with a plan to give much of the company's outstanding stock to debtholders, the United Auto Workers union and the federal government."

I would love to restructure my finances but need a big tax break to get money from my IRA. I bet I have no way to accomplish that.

This economic downturn has hurt a lot of people but the government has select favorites thay will help and the rest of the nation will just pay.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Woof, this post along with mine on H1-B's in the banks just goes to show that the Corporations DO NOT CARE what happens in their own backyard. They care more about their profits.

Privatize profits and socialize debt. Hand them money and immediately they send it to another country to maximize their profits back home.

The letter writing and the voting do nothing. The citizens do not run the country anymore and haven't for a long time.

I just pray that Obama can stop this madness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Looks like we support the world on both sides of our borders.
I guess you're both right, and cdelena too.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
This is why the only way to get the economy on the right track is from the bottom up, not the top down. Must end bailouts, and stop inflating the currency. Deregulate so startups can thrive but regulate congress with the Constitution. Whenever funny money is created, it will prolong the dysfunctional system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing