Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 AM

378 posts, read 1,207,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamaga View Post
OK here is what I decided to to do!!!!

I have paid off the outstanding debt. Which hurt my credit rating! I have put 40K down on the mortgage & I am investing the rest. The 30 year mortgage payment is less than the bills were and I have decided to pay 2x the monthly payment so it is paid off before I retire. I have put 10K in a safe place in case the banks go down completely. And if I need to come up with money for medical bills I can cut back to the standard payment for a short while. Thanks so much for all the help everyone.
Congrats, you have made a very wise choice. I just wanted to add that I am a bit worried about the statement that you have put 10k in a safe place. You shouldn't have this in your house, at least not in currency form. I would have a couple grand in gold and/or silver bullion at most. Make sure that this would be covered in your homeowner's insurance policy, you'll probably have to get a special rider. You never know what could happen, you could get burglarized or whatever. Also currency will probably experience a loss of value due to inflation in the near future, and gold/silver will keep up with the inflation rate (but not outperform).

Then I would find a local credit union to put the rest of the cash in. The vast majority of credit unions (and small local banks) are quite well run and your money will be safe there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing