Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times

Advertisements

Its 3-days of gains and quickly recovered a large chunk of what was lost the last couple of weeks... what is going on? What is with all the positive motions? I mean hear bad news like government debt, Goldman Sachs manipulating market and earning itself a big chunk of money, etc. etc. but stocks are up... I hope the trend keeps going.. up 250 points... that's what I call a good day... everything in my portfolio is up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 03:53 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
I recall that after the dot.com bubble burst the Dow traded sideways around the 9500 level for quite some time, perhaps 3-4 years, until it raced towards 14,000 in the midst of the housing credit bubble.

Unless the bottom falls out of the global industrialized economy, I expect it to trade sideways around 8000 for quite some time, perhaps even 7-10 years, look at the Nikkei, for example.

Maybe some of you chartists can put real numbers on these armchair recollections.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,296,558 times
Quote:
Unless the bottom falls out of the global industrialized economy, I expect it to trade sideways around 8000 for quite some time, perhaps even 7-10 years, look at the Nikkei, for example.
That's a nice, long buying opportunity!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times
earnings this quarter were driven by government spending. some pop over the short term at the expense of future generations. I guess the scheme can go on for a few more years. The game stops when the government can no longer service the interest on the debt, let alone pay for anything else. I reckon that's a few years out. 11 trillion at 5% interest amounts to $550 billion a year. I wonder what kind of revenue the government is going to bring in over the coming years when they are destroying/nationalizing the private sector. Can rates stay low forever? Can government reinflate the credit bubble by taking the place of the tapped out consumer (which is in no position to borrow and spend over the next decade). Interesting times we live in. I'm sitting in cash right now, but do own physical silver as an inflation hedge. Too many big money players out there. The government interference/rule changing in the market place makes me wanna take my chips elsewhere.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 07-15-2009 at 09:21 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
The game stops when the government can no longer service the interest on the debt, let alone pay for anything else. I reckon that's a few years out.
Not too many. Once the boomers retire, the SocSec and Medicare funding should get mighty interesting!

Actually, the US gov't is insolvent, and has been for many years. But right now, they're about to go stone cold broke!

And guess who gets to bail 'em out?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,252 times
"The Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index, as the VIX is known, gained 3.5 percent to 25.89. The S&P 500 added 3 percent, giving it a 6.1 percent gain since July 10. They have both advanced 25 times since the subprime crisis began in August 2007, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The next day, the S&P 500 fell 18 times for an average loss of 1.6 percent."
There's still a lot of volatility out there, it'll be interesting to see what the market does on Friday when the traders decide how much profit they want to take out of the market.
VIX Advances With S&P 500 as Traders See Higher Risk for Stocks - Bloomberg.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing