Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,495,063 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts? Some experts think we could be in for a 20% correction according to CNBC today.

Are you buying? Sitting on the sidelines?. Selling?

Figures we'd have an end of the day rally (which I'm missing out on). We were donw 148 points when I started this thread. Now we are only down. 43 pts.

Last edited by emilybh; 02-05-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 06:04 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,828,357 times
many are hypothesizing a W double dip recession and we are going down the second leg

Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 PM

929 posts, read 2,095,992 times
Nothing has changed. I just keep on buying every month, just like I have for the past 25 years.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM

4,546 posts, read 6,830,728 times
Until one side antes up and says, "I'll go first" things won't improve. It appears that the job losses are slowing and we are coming to the point where both sides are cautiously evaluating the other. As a business, especially a small business, you can't justify hiring if there isn't sufficient demand. As a consumer you can't justify making discretionary purchases if you fear losing your job or are now working off of a reduced income.

It is my bet that the consumer will be the first one to crack and demand will start to improve as long as the job loses continue to slow. Businesses will remain slow to hire.

The biggest risk IMHO is if the dangerous rhetoric being bantered about in D.C. materializes into tax hikes on businesses and/or the middle class. If so, businesses will develop a greater bunker mentality and launch another round of job cuts sending the consumer back into their hole.

The stimulus program has been a bust and the American people were sold a false bill of goods. The only part of the stimulus that had merit were the roads, bridges and infrastructure programs. Had the money been spent on these programs it would have been much more effective than simply extending unemployment benefits and bloating the size of the government.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 02-05-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,353,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

The stimulus program has been a bust and the American people were sold a false bill of goods. The only part of the stimulus that had merit were the roads, bridges and infrastructure programs. Had the money been spent on these programs it would have been much more effective than simply extending unemployment benefits and bloating the size of the government.

Isn't THAT the truth!!!!

Bail outs are much like giving a drug addict money and hoping he comes clean. All you are doing is feeding the madness.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,135,645 times
I don't waste my time with the stock market, I prefer to gamble in Vegas. Stocks are overvalued, but that has not stopped them from going up in the past.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,874,451 times
After the big drop on thursday I told my DW to watch the news on friday for the government to anounce some "good" news, And like magic they said that unemployment dropped .3% even though we lost 20,000 more jobs ( of course this number will be "corrected" next month much like the december number was corrected from 85,000 jobs lost up to 150,000 jobs lost).

What's really funny is how easy the stock market is minipulated, As the Gov'mint is giving out this months bogus numbers they're also giving you the corrected number from last month.

bill

Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,230,057 times
I said some time ago that putting money in the stock market these days is no better than gambling. The fundamentals are not there. if you have money in European stock, you best be getting it out of there as soon as possible.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 AM

5,513 posts, read 6,366,773 times
Quote:
Are you buying? Sitting on the sidelines?. Selling?
Buying, and hoping it goes a little lower. I'd gladly take that 10-20% correction if it meant buying my companies at a 10-20% discount.

Quote:
I said some time ago that putting money in the stock market these days is no better than gambling.
No disrepect meant, but that could not be further fromthe truth. From a value investing long term perspective, now if the perfect timeto buy, and it has been the perfect time since the beginning of 2009. There a a lot of good companies that are on sale cheap, and getting cheaper. Buy companies that have strong management, strong balance sheets, and strong cash flow and hold on to them long term. In 4 or 5 years you'll be very glad you did.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:58 PM

156 posts, read 391,952 times
I purchased the last couple days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing