Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 07:02 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

Strange question here, but please bare with me.

The University of Iowa is among the better state flagship universities in the country. Indeed it would very difficult to find a state university in a non-ubran state like Iowa that would be the quality of the UI.

how much of what makes the character of the UI comes from being a long time member of the Big Ten conference? I think that membership in the B10 (along with Iowa's location in the eastern portion of state) have oriented the university towards the lands east of the Mississipi, the urban regions in area that has some of the very best state universities in the nation.

I think Iowa's B10 membership has helped to contribute to the strong connection the university has with Chicagoland. I also believe that Iowa's membership in the Big Ten's CIC has been an important contribution to UI.

my guess is that if Iowa had been in, say, the Big 8, it might have been a far different institution than it is today.and that is not meant as a knock against the old Big 8 nor against member ISU which is, of course, a very good university in its own right.

am i way off base on my observations, or do you think that B10 membership has had a major part in shaping the University of Iowa and that if it hadn't been in the conference, it would be a vastly different school today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 05:48 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Iowa State is not in the big 10 and is a fantastic school as well. I think what makes Iowa and Iowa State outstanding is the feeder schools are good, aka, the schools in Iowa, MN, etc. that send kids to these schools in large numbers.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Iowa State is not in the big 10 and is a fantastic school as well. I think what makes Iowa and Iowa State outstanding is the feeder schools are good, aka, the schools in Iowa, MN, etc. that send kids to these schools in large numbers.
i agree, qwerty, and as i stated above, i in no way suggested that ISU wasn't. but the culture of each of the schools differs greatly (i realize that the curricular divide between the two is the major factor), but I also think that Iowa through its B10 membership, being in the eastern part of the state, and so linked to the Great Lakes region is fundamentally different from ISU.

i don't know if you'd agree with those points or not.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i agree, qwerty, and as i stated above, i in no way suggested that ISU wasn't. but the culture of each of the schools differs greatly (i realize that the curricular divide between the two is the major factor), but I also think that Iowa through its B10 membership, being in the eastern part of the state, and so linked to the Great Lakes region is fundamentally different from ISU.

i don't know if you'd agree with those points or not.

There are plenty of successful schools that are not in metro areas or associated with any big athletic conference or whatever. What drives success is notoriety and the quality of schools it attracts. When you have feeder schools from MN, IA, WI going into both Iowa schools, your student base is just better. Take a school like Alabama, for it's size and athletic prowess, it should be a top school based on your assumptions, but it is not. What Alabama has done, however, was offer full-rides to National Merit Scholars and free tuition to very high stat students in an effort to improve their academic standing. They have done that very successfully over the past 5 years or so. Before that effort, their feeder schools were from the worst educational systems in the county and it was mainly a party campus for sorority/frats and pretty much a joke school in educational circles. That has now changed.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of successful schools that are not in metro areas or associated with any big athletic conference or whatever. What drives success is notoriety and the quality of schools it attracts. When you have feeder schools from MN, IA, WI going into both Iowa schools, your student base is just better. Take a school like Alabama, for it's size and athletic prowess, it should be a top school based on your assumptions, but it is not. What Alabama has done, however, was offer full-rides to National Merit Scholars and free tuition to very high stat students in an effort to improve their academic standing. They have done that very successfully over the past 5 years or so. Before that effort, their feeder schools were from the worst educational systems in the county and it was mainly a party campus for sorority/frats and pretty much a joke school in educational circles. That has now changed.
i agree with you…..i'm not sure where you got the idea i was suggesting that being in a metro area was important. Indeed, you couldn't find a better college town atmosphere than iowa City (Iowa City is a big part of the university's appeal). In comparison, I see U of M's location in Mpls, particularly its DT, as a negative because you just don't get the feel of a campus oriented institution. i'm from chicagoland and you probably figured out i went to UI…and talking about feeder schools, Chicago's suburbs are loaded with one that feed into Iowa with big numbers. among the best high schools in the Chicago region, Iowa has always been incredibly popular. Hence the old joke: the University of Illinois at Iowa.

when i mentioned urban, i was suggesting the state, not the university. and Iowa outside of the original 7 state B10 footprint is the only state without a major city (DM is not in the category of Mpls, Milw, Indy, etc.) my contention was that for a largely rural and rural-identified state, there is no public university that ranks as high as UI.

Iowa is ranked 27th among USN&WR's public universities.
Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News | page 2

only one school on the list is from a smaller state than Iowa and that would be Delaware (Univ of Del)….and Delaware is not rural but part of the northeast corridor (and besides, its minuscule physical size is the reason for its small population)

Old 08-15-2015, 09:22 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
Quote:
In the past decade, the U of A has also attracted a VERY high amount of out-of-state kids. It's gotten to the point where Alabama students are the minority in the past few freshman classes. There's some quality students in Texas and Florida that might not get into UT-Austin, A&M, or UF, but are still plenty good enough to get into Bama. There's a lot of kids in Alabama that aren't getting in now that might have gotten in half a generation ago because the Board of Trustees likes the extra out-of-state money too much.

That said, while the Alabama education system does get ragged on a lot, its top high schools are just as good - if not better - than those in Iowa. It's just that their bottom schools are far worse.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:43 PM

579 posts, read 664,731 times
Quote:
In educational circles other than law, where Alabama overtook Iowa... I wouldn't go to Alabama for something other than law school.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:29 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
I dunno, Bama has a pretty reputable business program. It's not Big Ten quality yet but it most definitely is more than a glorified community college these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City