Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 12:40 PM

89 posts, read 327,562 times

Advertisements

Where would you rather live given the choice between CR or Mount Vernon and why. I'm playing around with the idea of moving back to Iowa. I grew up in Bettendorf and have been away since 1984. Just trying to weigh all my options before I move this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 01:20 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
Where would you rather live given the choice between CR or Mount Vernon and why. I'm playing around with the idea of moving back to Iowa. I grew up in Bettendorf and have been away since 1984. Just trying to weigh all my options before I move this summer.
Mt. Vernon without a blink. It's one of the prettiest towns in the state and located close to Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, the Quad Cities, and Dubuque.

It's a smaller community where you have the chance to actually blend into it and get to know more people. Even though it's fairly small, it has a small liberal arts college there (Cornell) giving you more things to do than most other smaller communities.

The only thing that stands out to me about Cedar Rapids is it's close to Iowa City and has a Minnesota Twins Class A Minor League team. The fact that the Twins have a team there baffles me since it's Chicago Cubs territory and CR is not a very large city. OK, I'm jealous. This team should be in Sioux Falls which IS Twins territory and a much bigger city.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:28 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,385,304 times
Cedar Rapids. Mt. Vernon is a nice town, but taxes are much higher and there is less to do than Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids has a variety of housing options, a low cost-of-living, and there is always something going on in NewBo, Czech Village, or Downtown. I guess it depends ultimately whether you prefer the smaller town lifestyle or a larger city, and whether you are ok with a 20 minute commute from Mt. Vernon.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:10 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Even though Mt Vernon has a college, it’s a very family-oriented town with a lot of new construction of family homes, and the smaller communities surrounding the area are more insular from my experience. I’d stick with Cedar Rapids for reasons stated in the above posts.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the information. There are pros and cons to everything.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 22,635 times
Default CR is a backwater dump

In my 6 years in this filthy town, I have witnessed sleazy landlords, crooked contractors, and a city that can't even fill a pothole in the streets. Thank God the potholes are filled with snow in the winter.

When I bitched to the governors office about the contractors I was told "we have no control over what a business does or does not do".

I have lived in 8 other states and worked in 7 more, any of which would be an improvement over this charade of state and local government.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:39 PM

576 posts, read 831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

The only thing that stands out to me about Cedar Rapids is it's close to Iowa City and has a Minnesota Twins Class A Minor League team. The fact that the Twins have a team there baffles me since it's Chicago Cubs territory and CR is not a very large city. OK, I'm jealous. This team should be in Sioux Falls which IS Twins territory and a much bigger city.
The Cedar Rapids Kernels major league affiliation has changed many times over the years. Prior to the Twins, they were affiliated with the Angels for nearly 20 years. They even were affiliated with the Cubs back in the 50's! It really has nothing to do with location and more to do with money.

Sioux Falls is actually a little smaller than Cedar Rapids, but it is growing faster than CR, so may surpass it soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Old 04-15-2020, 12:55 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpat View Post
In my 6 years in this filthy town, I have witnessed sleazy landlords, crooked contractors, and a city that can't even fill a pothole in the streets. Thank God the potholes are filled with snow in the winter.

When I bitched to the governors office about the contractors I was told "we have no control over what a business does or does not do".

I have lived in 8 other states and worked in 7 more, any of which would be an improvement over this charade of state and local government.

I would not call Cedar Rapids a dump by any means. There are some areas that are depressed but there are many more nice areas to live throughout the metro from low-end to higher-end homes. As far as potholes, the city has done EXTENSIVE work on the roads throughout the city the last 3-5 years and it’s much improved. I have always owned a home except for the first 6 months when we moved to CR 25 years ago from out of state, so I don’t have much experience with landlords.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:35 AM

CR has much more affordable houses than MT Vernon. That could be a factor in my decision.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:56 PM

141 posts, read 504,646 times
Just wondering OP, if you grew up in Bettendorf, why don't you want to move back there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa