Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 14,260 times

Advertisements

My husband is accepting a job at Sivyer Steel and we will be reloacting to the Quad Cities. We are moving to either Davenport or Bettendorf. I was looking to get some advice on which is better as far as cost of living, safety, things to do, etc. We are moving from SC and this job offer came rather quickly. We don't have a lot of time, just a couple of months max so any tips, suggestions will be much appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:15 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Cost of living is pretty much the same. Property tax, house prices and rent in Bettendorf is a little higher. But utilities, groceries etc. are all the same.

The two cities have grown into each other to make one big town. Davenport has a couple of neighborhoods that are considered bad but not unsafe really.

If you have kids I'd probably go with Bettendorf. Otherwise no real reason to go to that side of town. Davenport has most of things to do, with Bettendorf being a bit of a bedroom community.

I don't know exactly where Sivyer is, but there's no real traffic problems in the QCA as far as drive time and commute.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Thank you !!!! Really excited to come up that way. Been a Southerner all my life.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM

47 posts, read 153,844 times
Bettendorf is a little pricier than Davenport, though not outrageously so - just housing, mostly. Other than a few blocks worth of area I'd avoid in both, I feel very safe in either city.
I'd look into the schools if you have kids as a factor, too.

Things to do:
There are some nice bike paths and parks, the Freight House Farmer's Market in Davenport is large and active if you like that sort of thing. The Library system is nice in both. There are plenty of bars and the District in RI is just across the bridge. Concerts in town will be primarily at the Adler on the Iowa side or the I-Wireless (the Mark) in Moline, IL. We have a nice baseball stadium/park on the river for the home team and our family really enjoys those games.
The QC area is one of the best I've seen for middle of the road and inexpensive dining. Azteca and Exotic Thai are a couple of my favorites. Whitey's Ice Cream and Happy Joe's Pizza are a couple of QC based places we really enjoy too, though there are more.
If you don't get the newspaper, I'd sign up for the RSS feed from the newspaper and check it daily to see what's going on - and maybe check out facebook for local communities as well. Things seem a bit less advertised here than some other cities, but there are a lot of festivals and fun things both in and around the QC.

The 'major' shopping area in town is on a strip right between Davenport and Bettendorf where Target, Walmart, Kohl's, Gordman's, Lowes, HD, Gander Mountain, Sam's Club, Best Buy and more are all on one street. A few blocks away you'll find the Old Navy, Ulta, Bed Bath & Beyond, Michaels, TJ Maxx & more all in one plaza. Really, it's kind of a breeze shopping compared to a lot of the other cities I've lived in.

Gas prices vary widely across town, with an incredible hike on the Illinois side. Just keep an eye on it and you'll find the stations nearest you or your shopping that are most reasonable. I think gas prices are actually fairly decent on the whole or compared to nationwide.

It's really not a big deal or problem or divide, so if you don't live completely across town there's no problem with living with one city and doing quite a bit in the other - it's all what the priorities are for your family.

If you have ANY questions, please feel free to ask! I know there are several people from the QC area or that are familiar with the QC area that post here.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Davenport made BudgetTravel magazines list of Stunning riverfront towns. Stunning is a strong word, but it's a nice mention for sure.

Vacation Ideas: Stunning Riverfront Towns | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Travel Advice, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel

Old 06-16-2012, 02:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,638 times
Like the OP, I am also looking at relocating to the Quad Cities soon, so I thought I would go ahead and post in this thread as opposed to starting a new one. I am deciding between Davenport and Moline - is there a significant difference in property taxes between the two states? I did notice that gas seemed significantly more expensive on the Illinois side, which made me wonder.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 PM

I don't know a lot about Moline taxes, but I'd prefer Davenport over Moline, then again my handle is Dport so take what I say with a grain of salt. I haven't even lived in the area for 10 yrs, but I'm in the QCA often. Sometimes monthly.

On one hand, Davenport has more going on. On the other hand, no matter where you are in the Quad Cities you can get to pretty much anywhere else in the QCA in less than 20 minutes. Think of the Quad Cities as one big town with a wide ass river in the middle.

For things to do check out 'The River City Reader'

Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 AM

47 posts, read 153,844 times
I rented when I lived in Moline, so I am not at all certain, but I've heard that Iowa has higher income tax and Illinois has higher property tax -- but the income tax very well may change with the shape Illinois' economy is in. If you are working in Moline, I'd live in Moline. Commuting to Moline from the Iowa side isn't that bad compared to the other parts of the country at all, but it grated on me after awhile and used more gas than I cared for. Moline has quite a bit really that rarely gets mentioned on here; they have their own Walmart and Kohl's, Best Buy, Toys R'Us, SouthPark Mall, and of course the iWireless (the Mark) and the John Deere Pavillion. If you particularly like Fazoli's or Carlos O'Kellys, Moline is about the only place around here that has them. I do personally prefer Davenport, but I'm also okay with traveling across the river to go to special events in Rock Island or Moline. I just don't like crossing the river every day during rush hour.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM

Thank you all for the responses!!!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:35 PM

15 posts, read 38,615 times
My husband I were transferred to the Quad Cities 9 yrs. ago and bought in Bettendorf, PV school district. We liked it, but wanted more space. We moved to Port Byron IL, and love it. You get a lot for your money, small school, but close to all the cities.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa