Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 26,726 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for a more white collar area, cedar rapids is a great place. The quad cities and sioux city are more industrial areas. But Des moines, cedar rapids, and the quad cities are the places where you can count on having everything you'll need. pretty much any store or restaurant that's in the midwest, and major arena's for concerts/sports will be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 06:57 PM

79 posts, read 211,907 times
I'm from Burlington and if you want concerts I would suggest the Quad City area. There is nothing going on in Burlington gangs and drugs

Old 01-15-2007, 09:09 AM

87 posts, read 383,428 times
Davenport, or the Quad Cities, has about everything you're looking for. They just built a 40 million dollar art museum downtown, that gets world renown exhibits.
Theres a lot of diversity, so theres plenty of authentic italian, mexican, chinese, vietnamese, japanese, indian, soul food, restaurants.
The Mark of the Quad Cities gets great concerts, pretty frequently. Everything from, Korn, Ozzy Osbourne, Cher, Snoop Dogg, Jay Z, Janet Jackson, Kenny Chesney, Symphonies.
We have all the major retail and shopping stores, and restaurant chains any bigger city has.
Being on the banks of the Mississippi river we have a lot of cultural events, (concerts, street fests), bix fest, a road race run every july is one of the biggest street races in the country.
Crime can be somewhat of a problem, as Davenport does have a higher than average crime rate, but its just like any other city, you will learn areas that are ok, and areas to stay out of.
Overall, the QC has about 400,000 population. Its big enough where you can live a big city life, without all the traffic jams, high costs of living, and a lot of other hassles.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,643 times
Hi,
I've lived in north central iowa my whole and my job is real esate related. My vote would be for Ames, Mason City, or Muscatine. I'm a small town girl, but have spent time in these 3 cities which I consider to have a lot to offer plus are easy to get around and have a lot of variety of activities. You talked about a slower pace which these would provide that also. If you really want to live cheap but enjoy what they have to offer you might consider some of the small towns surrounding these areas where taxes are cheaper and so is housing. I'm about a 1/2 hour drive south of Mason city.

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 02-05-2007 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 03-12-2007, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 92,558 times
"No offence to colored people"
this pretty much shows why it is very, very white. the term colored went out when Armstrong landed on the moon, and it's offense, not offence. i could stereotype you and say that it is a town full of inbreds with poor education, but that would be a compliment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
Dubuque is a very, very exquisite town.

Dubuque is full of WONDERFUL views, photographers paradise. Low crime rate, even though there are areas where the town in getting "run down", but these are very small areas, primarily around the colleges. Loras College and UDBQ in particular. But, downtown there are some moderate sized high rises. maybe 1-250ft. WONDERFUL river, it is very CLEAN. And Dubuque is not only its' old town charm, on the west side of town, nearing and in Asbury, they are beginning to "commercialize" so Dubuquans dont have to travel down to Davenport for exclusive shopping. Main concentrations of development are near-on-Asbury and JFK Roads, with SEVERAL commercial lots available. Dubuque, no offence to colored people, but is VERY VERY white. They are currently working on an improvement program. Awesome place. 60-65,000 people, and the whole area is full of Illinois and Wisconsin license plates. Meaning the area is more towards the 130,000 population for the metro. Dubuque's technical area (metro) only goes at 92,000, which encompasses the county, Jackson Ccounty should be included in the area as well, my grandparents live there, in Bellevue, and travel into Dubuque regularly.

GREAT PLACE. consider it.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 10,331 times
I have lived in Dubuque for many years. Well since I was 16. @ of my wonderful years on this planet were planted in Maquoketa, IA. I have to say that I am returning back to Maquoketa as soon as I can afford it. I can't stand living in Dubuque anymore. But then I guess I'm a bit prejudiced since I live right next to a college-like across the stupid street. There are college kids everywhere. And being a Student of Education yourself, I'm sure you can understand my annoyance with the loud voices and parties and concerts they hold for the whole area (even though only about 30-50 drunken college kids will show up). The parking for downtown shopping is ridiculous. Nobody looks out for anybody else around here. You get "cut-off" all the time on the roads here. I don't even enjoy going to Wal-mart or Hy-vee anymore cause it is too crowded.
At last I moved to Maquoketa. It was the best thing I ever did for my family and my sanity. I miss it very much. The people are very nice, the traffic very low, and parking to go shopping downtown is not a screaming adventure for someone to move out of that spot already!!! Even the Maquoketa stores are not jambed packed with idiots trying to run you over in the crosswalks to the stores. Everyone there would lend a helping hand. All you need to do is ask for that hand to be held out! EVERY neighborhood in Maquoketa is a quiet neighborhood. The only issue in the summer is the sound of dogs barking, but if you have a dog, you get over it real quick! Saturday mornings are full of sounds from lawnmowers, people walking everywhere, and did I mention the traffic?! Hardly any. As for your concerns with the Arts.......Maquoketa does have the Ohnward Fine Arts Center. They have many many concerts and plays. Whoever said only the big towns could have style? As far as my opinion goes, Maquoketa has a far better sense of style and culture than any big town does. I don't know what your religious preference is, but there are plenty of places to do your type of worship. No matter what that may be, you will be accepted into the community whether you are white, black, red, purple, orange, green,or blue. Whatever!! ok? Got that! Good! There is hardly anything I would consider as crime in Maquoketa. Other than the twice a year of teenagers breaking into someones car for a cigarette or spray painting a sign or going over the speed limit by 5 miles and getting pulled over for it! Thats pretty much it. Don't forget that Maquoketa is NOT that far away from Dubuque or Davenport. The Quad Cities has alot more going for them than Dubuque does. Either way Dubuque County, Jackson County (Maquoketa), Clinton County, and Scott County (Davenport) are all great places to visit for entertainment purposes. Something else you want to know? Let me know.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 10,331 times
Oh I forgot-the Mississippi River? It is NOT that clean!! Everytime I went into the water I came out with some kind of throat infection!!! If I go boating on the river now, I will set foot in the river (with shoes on only!) but I will not lower my face anywhere near the water so I don't get sick again. I watch my kids very carefully out there and try to make them stay up on the beachshore to play. If you like to fish, get a report from the local DNR about what you can actually take out of the river, what needs to be put back and how much is safe for your consumption!!! I'm not joking on that either! If you want CLEAN water try going to the Maquoketa river or down by the Swiss Valley campgrounds. THAT is clean water. Not that crap in the Mississippi!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:30 PM

100 posts, read 534,417 times
Dubuque has a long tradition of population migration both to AND from the Chicago area. Many of the city's most prominent citizens (including the city manager) are Chicagoland natives.

* One of the best features of the area is the very low cost of living. Housing is still relatively affordable... well-kept single family homes go for ~$120k and rent (depending on size and location obviously) is typically $350-450. Sales tax in the county is 7 cents on the dollar, and property taxes (within the city proper) are $10.32 per $1,000 assessed value... which is the LOWEST tax rate among larger cities in Iowa. Council Bluffs, Sioux City, and Waterloo have the highest at $18+ per $1,000.

* Concerts might be slightly hard to come by locally, but it won't be much different no matter where you live in Iowa. Dubuque is 90 minutes or less from Rockford, Madison, Waterloo, the Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids & Iowa City, so you'll just have to keep an eye on who is playing where, and drive there. Its what people do all over the state.

* The city is mostly white (again, like all Iowa cities...) but it does have Bosniak, Hispanic, African-American, and Marshallese populations of varying size. There are restaurants that serve Greek, Italian, German, Mexican, Mongolian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese food, among others...

* Politically, the city is mixed. It has been dominated by Democrats for most of the last 50 years, and they hold most elected offices. However, its not an overwhelming majority, and most races remain competitive.

* The job market is also mixed. There are high numbers of people employed in manufacturing, tourism, health care, higher education, publishing, financial services, and government. Job growth has been fairly consistent across all fields, with the exception of manufacturing, which remains pretty voliatle.

* Another point to consider is commuting time. A few years ago, Dubuque was recognized by some magazine or other as having the nation's shortest commute time at ~11 minutes! Let's see Chicago beat that!

Good luck in your new hometown!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post
Dubuque has a long tradition of population migration both to AND from the Chicago area. Many of the city's most prominent citizens (including the city manager) are Chicagoland natives.

* One of the best features of the area is the very low cost of living. Housing is still relatively affordable... well-kept single family homes go for ~$120k and rent (depending on size and location obviously) is typically $350-450. Sales tax in the county is 7 cents on the dollar, and property taxes (within the city proper) are $10.32 per $1,000 assessed value... which is the LOWEST tax rate among larger cities in Iowa. Council Bluffs, Sioux City, and Waterloo have the highest at $18+ per $1,000.

* Concerts might be slightly hard to come by locally, but it won't be much different no matter where you live in Iowa. Dubuque is 90 minutes or less from Rockford, Madison, Waterloo, the Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids & Iowa City, so you'll just have to keep an eye on who is playing where, and drive there. Its what people do all over the state.

* The city is mostly white (again, like all Iowa cities...) but it does have Bosniak, Hispanic, African-American, and Marshallese populations of varying size. There are restaurants that serve Greek, Italian, German, Mexican, Mongolian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese food, among others...

* Politically, the city is mixed. It has been dominated by Democrats for most of the last 50 years, and they hold most elected offices. However, its not an overwhelming majority, and most races remain competitive.

* The job market is also mixed. There are high numbers of people employed in manufacturing, tourism, health care, higher education, publishing, financial services, and government. Job growth has been fairly consistent across all fields, with the exception of manufacturing, which remains pretty voliatle.

* Another point to consider is commuting time. A few years ago, Dubuque was recognized by some magazine or other as having the nation's shortest commute time at ~11 minutes! Let's see Chicago beat that!

Rent for $350-$450? nowhere you would want to live. More like $500-$700

Jasper

Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 AM

195 posts, read 1,078,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post

Yes, Dubuque is a lovely city! You wouldn't go wrong moving there. Never lived there, but wish I could have.(maybe someday..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa