Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:05 AM

152 posts, read 244,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with going 85 on the interstate coming from a state, South Dakota, where it's done on a fairly regular basis by people and cops don't really do much until you start hitting 90+... but hey when in Rome OP.. just pay the fine and get on with your life. I guess it would depend on where you were doing 85... flat rural area of the state with low traffic density or in downtown Des Moines? In any case the speed limit is 70 on the interstate in IA so there's not much defense. I applaude you and other speeders though because without you guys we'd all be stuck doing 55 on the interstate yet with even more self righteous posters defending their decision to go the speed limit in the passing lane, shaking their fists at the speeders for how evil they are.

I personally believe MN and IA should raise the speed limits on their rural interstates to 75 and rural divided highways to 70.
So people who DON'T drive 15+ mph over the speed limit are "self righteous"?

I guess you can call me self righteous then. But you can also call me safe, because I've never once caused an accident. And you can also call me economical, because I am able to purchase the lowest-priced insurance available, and I get better mileage than somebody who drives at excessive speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Didn't mean to sound like a prick but sometimes I do when posting online. Come across too many posters that park it in the passing lane and brag about it, saying that the speeders are breaking the law, nobody should be going than the posted speed limit period.. honestly give me a break.

It's sad when any person loses a life as the result of another, regardless of their age... however that's the price of freedom. I do not support a nanny state to protect everyone from everything. People in eastern south dakota drive 80-85 all the time perfectly safely every day.. when the interstates are flat, straight, and relatively low traffic density, the safety risk is manageable. I've been told in Southern California they drive practically bumper to bumper going these speeds and that unskilled slow drivers are eaten up and spit out quickly, whether that's true or not...

I would never support lowering the speed limits on the interstate down to 55-65, and will argue with anyone who supports it any day of the week, and get them all mad. Don't like it? Call 1-800-...

Last edited by sholomar; 03-10-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM

152 posts, read 244,641 times
Quote:
Didn't mean to sound like a prick but sometimes I do when posting online. Come across too many posters that park it in the passing lane and brag about it, saying that the speeders are breaking the law, nobody should be going than the posted speed limit period.. honestly give me a break.

It's sad when any person loses a life as the result of another, regardless of their age... however that's the price of freedom. I do not support a nanny state to protect everyone from everything. People in eastern south dakota drive 80-85 all the time perfectly safely every day.. when the interstates are flat, straight, and relatively low traffic density, the safety risk is manageable. I've been told in Southern California they drive practically bumper to bumper going these speeds and that unskilled slow drivers are eaten up and spit out quickly, whether that's true or not...

I would never support lowering the speed limits on the interstate down to 55-65, and will argue with anyone who supports it any day of the week, and get them all mad. Don't like it? Call 1-800-...
I do a lot of driving to various consultations. I'm definitely not a "camper" in the left lane. In fact, they really bother me - especially when it's a truck driving slower than the speed limit, and driving for miles right alongside the truck in the right lane.

I almost always drive about 5 mph over the speed limit, when on Interstates. Never brake when I see cops. Just drive along with traffic. But that's a whole lot different than going 85 in a 70 zone. Also, if the OP got ticketed for 85, he was likely going even faster than that.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 PM

25 posts, read 41,887 times
Quote:

I don't need to argue with you and here's why - I will never have the need to seek your input, help, opinion, assistance or to "call" your pseudo 1-800 complaint number.
But I guarantee that even in a nanny country, should it come to that, you'll be , at some point in time, calling my number. 911.
So as long as we're clear that we protect and serve the weak and strong, the smart and stupid, those who like us and those who don't, I will consider us in agreement. The only difference we may face is in recognizing that along with the responsibility those with a badge have also comes the backing of laws, the judicial system and the majority of the civilians who want their environments safe ( including roadways of all kinds.) In other words, you don't have to like the laws. You just have to follow them. If you choose not to, you can call an 800 number as well.
For a bail bondsman.
End of my part in this discussion. I won't play keyboard warrior despite your attempted challenges. I'm in enough of a position of power offline not to need to seek it online.

Last edited by PrairieHawkMom; 03-10-2014 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2014, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,998 times
These forums are heavily censored and moderated. You want real answers head to t.o.p.i.x. forums. Completely uncensored and you get real answers good or bad. I have nothing to do with t.o.p.i.x. forums.

Last edited by gone321; 03-15-2014 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: censored out my thoughts again

Old 03-19-2014, 09:11 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
So, someone from out of state goes through Iowa. Iowa demands money, doesn't offer a job. I feel like this is a common theme.

Anyone that doesn't get this joke shouldn't bother asking. If you think you get it but don't find it funny, no, you didn't get it.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
jesse
Your last input here was on the 26th. What have you done about your ticket situation since then?
It's unfortunate for you that you were caught at 15 miles over according to the patrol otherwise you may have gotten off with just a warning.
Let us hear back with the outcome if you care to. Otherwise this thread seems to have more recently gone badly off-purpose & topic & outlived it's usefulness.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:56 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
It's astonishingly easy not to speed. You even have a fair amount of latitude - your odds of being pulled over at anything up to 5 mph over the limit are extremely small. Even on up to 10 mph over the limit, you're still pretty safe. Add cruise control into the situation into the equation and it is extremely simple to drive at a speed in which the odds of you being pulled over are vanishingly small.

Advice? Here's some - if you absolutely can't afford to have a speeding ticket on your record, the time to worry about that is before, not after, you get ticketed.

As for your current predicament, you've just got to bite the bullet. Hopefully, you'll learn something from this.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:32 PM

760 posts, read 768,950 times
There's no way to fight the ticket, you got caught on radar driving 85 in a 70 zone, you have no defense to claim your speedometer was a "little off" or "everyone else was going that fast too!" YOU were the one who got caught even if 50 other drivers around you were also driving 85- the one cop car had to choose one speeder, it was YOU instead of the other guy.

Be happy you weren't arrested, license suspended or something going that fast.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,035 times
Too bad you didn't have drugs in your car. You'd get off with a slap on the wrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa