Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 09:46 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times

Advertisements

My family is considering Clear Lake as a possible family vacation destination next summer. It is an equal drive for everyone. Will we find things for the younger ones to do? I love to fish so that seems to be a good choice for me. Good restaurants and cold beer is plentiful? Appreciate anyones thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 PM

459 posts, read 2,228,490 times
You’ll find plenty to do in Clear Lake for the kids (we vacation every summer there). Aside from the obvious public beaches, Clear Lake Offers:
-A town square right in downtown with nearly daily summer concerts and several play structures in the square.
-A very nice aquatic center with water slides and other features.
-Ft. Custer Maze.
-Lady of the Lake boat excursions.
-Splash pad right off the public beach.
-There are a few places that rent boats and jet skis.
-Fire Museum.
-Nice, new art center with activities for kids.
-State Park

Nearby Mason City has some absolutely fabulous residential architecture (may not be much of a kids thing), but there is a Frank Lloyd Wright home and several other Wright inspired homes. Mason City also has another great children’s museum with activities.

Definitely plenty of places to eat and drink. Some of the more popular spots are the Muskie Lounge in nearby Ventura (all you can eat walleye), Ge Jo’s (great pizza), and the Other Place (also fantastic pizza), a must hit for steak is the Northwestern Steakhouse in Mason City. Clear Lake also has many, many chain restaurants.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:37 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,540 times
two words: SURF BALLROOM! That place is hoppin' in the summer and 4th of July has a great car show there as well.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:29 AM

26 posts, read 108,026 times
Default Great Place

I grew up in Mason CIty, Iowa (23 yrs) which is 9 miles from Clear Lake. Our families spent quite a bit of the summers there. Every year I come back home from Georgia we spend a couple of days in Clear Lake. I believe Clear Lake is more attractive and charming than ever. The city has done a good job of upkeep and landscaping. July 4th is a must..........the fireworks are fantastic. My wife is a true southern girl and says she could live in Clear Lake.
In summary..............great choice!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Clear Lake is a great place to spend the summer. I am always amazed at how many people who live in Des Moines, have summer homes in Clear Lake.

Gejo's is a great Italian Resturant downtown. Also, Clear Lake Boats added a Tiki Bar on the lake on the south shore last year. That is a good time!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
two words: SURF BALLROOM! That place is hoppin' in the summer and 4th of July has a great car show there as well.
Yes don't miss the Surf! If you ask you can get directions to the spot where, The plane with Buddy Holly,Ritchie Valence and the Big Bopper crashed. Kinda of a neat Memorioal out there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa