Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:36 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times

Advertisements

Thread drift are us!

I will check out Adventure Land, and I will let it stand on its own merits. I was by there last night and thought the water looked very appealing in these muggy 80-degree temps!

I used to take kids and teens up to CP and down to King's Island when I lived in OH. They were both good but very different experiences. I don't like comparing the different parks to each other or to Disney, and I used to tell the kids to just focus on the here and now and enjoy this experience while it unfolds. The teens understood that money was an issue and to enjoy the experience because it might be a long time before they were able to return.

I will also check out more of what's along I-80. I appreciate the list CCG posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:36 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
FOR THE STATE OF IOWA AND THE SIZE OF THE CITY that park is very nice.

Had you stated this qualifier from the get-go, I'm guessing Steel wouldn't have felt the need to interject.

The OP is looking for stops along the way that are worth their time. They can only make an assessment if they're given the full picture.

I like Adventureland too for what it is, but I certainly wouldn't oversell it to someone looking for unique/worthwhile stops as they are heading down I80. I think this qualifier you added later will be helpful to the OP in the consideration on whether this makes sense to them or not.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:21 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Good ol' Adventureland..We went there a couple times when I was little..All I can remember about it is the ski lift deal and the water log ride.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 AM

3,876 posts, read 4,699,116 times
I remember visiting the Amana Colonies as a kid in Boy Scouts. From what I remember, it is a variation on the better known Amish culture in America & could appeal to someone who has interest in a culture that has historic ties back to the way many things were done well over a century ago.
The food was wonderful, if you like German cuisine which I do & the arts & crafts, furniture making, etc. were intriguiing to me as a kid. The colonies are just west of Iowa City & barely off I-80 in Iowa County.
Several miles east of Iowa City & near West Branch, Ia. is the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library & birthplace museum. I have not visited the site for years but I would like to again. Anyone with an interest in U.S. presidential history, etc. should consider stopping there. Once again, it's barely off of I-80.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
If you're just looking for something to break the monotony of the trip that will appeal to a child, Adventureland is easy to navigate, easily accessible from I-80, and relatively inexpensive. It's not remarkable by any means, but it's good for a half-day of fun. I dug the Amanas when I was a kid, but not all kids are into that sort of thing. And if you come from someplace like Pennsylvania or Ohio I can't see it being that big a deal at all.

I actually think Nebraska has more interesting things to see along I-80, at least in terms of being unique: Omaha Zoo, Pioneer Village, Archway Museum, Buffalo Bill's Ranch, etc. The cool stuff that's unique to Iowa tends to be more off the beaten path.

Last edited by duster1979; 06-23-2014 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Bunch of typos

Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Good ol' Adventureland..We went there a couple times when I was little..All I can remember about it is the ski lift deal and the water log ride.
FWIW unfortunately the log ride is on its last stump. I think this is the last year and it will be replaced with something else.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Have a safe trip. I-80 can get heavy truck traffic and they don't all drive as though they should be in a big rig.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
A few that haven't been mentioned. These are all easy drives right off I-80.

Danish Windmill and Museum in Elk Horn (6 miles north of I-80 in western Iowa). This is an authentic windmill from Denmark that was disassembled and shipped overseas to be reassembled in Elk Horn, which has a large Danish-American population.

Iowa 80 Truck Stop near Walcott - largest truck stop in the world. Has a food court, gift store, truck showroom, etc.

Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and boyhood home in West Branch, right off I-80.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher777 View Post
We will be traveling through Iowa in a couple of months on I-80. Any suggestions on things to do along this route. Our ten year old son will be with us. Thanks for your help.
I suggest driving. If you do it for 4 to 5 hours you'll end up outside Iowa

Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 AM

179 posts, read 248,097 times
Looks like adventureland has been thoroughly discussed. It's a nice time your 10yo will have fun at, it won't be the best ever for anyone in your party. For those who tout Omaha over Iowa, I'd suggest the Des Moines Zoo is not as large as Doorly, but a little cheaper, a little quicker stop and a very nice zoo. Des Moines also has living history farm, depending on your 10 yo's interest in history he'd either love it or be bored stiff, same with any other historical attraction in any state. If you're considering Amana, do your research. Lots of shopping, some history (it's not at all "Amish", the history of the villages is entirely the opposite of the Amish, the only comparison is "old world charm.") Good food - a good brewery, something unique to see. Not sure when you're going through, but the Bix Beiderbeck dixieland jazz festival is late summer I think, in Davenport. Wild Bill Hickok museum is in LeClere (right on the Mississippi). Niambi Zoo is a good stop too while we're discussing Zoo's, in Coal Valley, IL, right off I-280, if you want to take that route around the Quuad cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa