Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:41 PM

12 posts, read 62,509 times

Advertisements

I moved to Michigan about a year and a half ago.I regret it tremendously.Most people here are unfriendly,rude and out for themselves.I am a single parent with 2 kids and I don't want to raise them this way.I am looking for a nice place to live.Where people are friendly to one another.Somewhere rural.Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,330 times
People in Iowa are very friendly, especially in the rural areas. You will always get the wave and a friendly "Hello." One bad thing is that being a newcomer you will find it hard to become friends with the locals. I have found that everywhere, but especially in the midwest.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:10 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,808 times
What kind of place in Michigan are you living in? For comparison.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 AM

24 posts, read 133,329 times
Default People in Iowa...hmmm

In my opinion, which I formed after living in Iowa for 30+ years, people in Iowa are very phony and more worried about appearing to be concerned and interested than in being genuine. So glad I moved to Texas!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 AM

189 posts, read 799,849 times
Texas is certainly known for being humble and not concerned with what the rest of the nation thinks of it. LOL

Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 AM

10 posts, read 82,297 times
From everything, I've read, it seems that people in Iowa are the most unfriendly, rude, fake and phony people on the planet. Is it actually that bad?? I'm from Memphis, TN and we have a little bit of everything here when it comes to people, but I will be moving to Iowa soon, will I be in for a challenge in adapting there??

Old 04-20-2007, 11:00 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,381,866 times
Iowans are light years ahead of people in Memphis in terms of honesty, friendliness, hospitality, education, etc. I have never lived in such a friendly area, and that includes both DSM and IC. Crime is almost nonexistant, people (in those cities at least) are overall very educated, liberal, thoughful, etc. The school systems are phenonmenal compared to the junk we have here.

Iowa is just Iowa. There's no way of explaining it. Hard working people who go to work, send their kids to school, and look forward to the weekends. Check any John Mellencamp song for a reference Seriously though, it's just an overall great state, nothing special about it, no huge touristy sites, no huge cities, things like that. Just a great place to live.

For ME...I like big cities. Right now in my life, I'd be a bit bored in Iowa. BUT if I was raising kids, or a bit older, it would be perfect for me (I'm thinking of the DSM, Ames, IC type areas). There's a point in life where you need to settle down and Iowa overall is great for that.

I have never considered people there to be phony, and I only got that impression once I moved to the south. Having lived in various areas of the country, people in Iowa are just good people, and overall I've found more people in the south that are very close minded phony people. That has been my experience.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Pearlbob: "I have never considered people there to be phony, and I only got that impression once I moved to the south. Having lived in various areas of the country, people in Iowa are just good people, and overall I've found more people in the south that are very close minded phony people. That has been my experience."

I agree. I've lived in 5 states and Iowa has the least phony people of them all. There are some negatives that characterize Iowa people, but phoniness is not one of them.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:47 AM

195 posts, read 1,078,936 times
You can find different sorts of people everywhere. I've experienced lots of different people around here ( NE Iowa/ SE MN) good and bad. There isn't lots of sophistication and simple mindedness abounds but some people are simple and nice, although I certainly have experienced phony people. You can't characterize anybody anywhere as totally bad/good. I think it depends on who you already are, not what the people are like were you move. If you already are like them, then welcome to home! If you are not, then go someplace else.

I, speaking from personal experience tend to get on with people in this area only who were not from here originally, like me. But, I don't want to give people a bad impression when that isn't totally true, who have never been to or are not that familiar with IA. For instance, I was reading the Vermont forum and I've never been there, and after reading about the people there and what it's like had a wholly bad impression and would never want to go there. I don't want people to think that about IA, although who knows about Vermont?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
We've never lived in Ia., but have passed through the state several times on trips elsewhere. We've never encountered a rude person. They seem like good old salt of the earth people. They're friendly and always seem ready to chat if you're sitting next to them in a restaurant. They seem to be very neighborly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa