Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 AM

8 posts, read 108,193 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a position at Central College in Pella, IA and am progressing through the interview process. I've been doing some research on the town to determine if it's somewhere I could see myself living because I don't know much about it, including checking out previous comments in this forum. Now I'm terrified. The consensus seems to be that you should only live in Pella if you're (1) Dutch and (2) religious. I am neither.

Does anyone have insights on Pella or life in Pella they can share? I really don't want to make the wrong decision here, as I would be relocating from another state.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBjork08 View Post
I recently applied for a position at Central College in Pella, IA and am progressing through the interview process. I've been doing some research on the town to determine if it's somewhere I could see myself living because I don't know much about it, including checking out previous comments in this forum. Now I'm terrified. The consensus seems to be that you should only live in Pella if you're (1) Dutch and (2) religious. I am neither.

Does anyone have insights on Pella or life in Pella they can share? I really don't want to make the wrong decision here, as I would be relocating from another state.

Thank you!!!
I can't give you info. on life in Pella, but I can with life living with the ulta-Dutch as a large part of my family are.

They will treat you fine to your face, but keep in mind you aren't one of them as you will soon find out when it comes to business, promotions, or being a part of their social circle. Life for this segment of Dutch people revolves around THEIR churches. Heaven forbid that you be some other religion than some kind of Reformed church. This is ESPECIALLY true if you are Catholic. In the strictest Dutch environment you might as well be worshipping the devil as to be Catholic.

My recommendation? Take the job in Pella, but live in a neighboring town like Oskaloosa or Knoxville. You'll appreciate life away from Pella as your every movement won't be evaluated and criticized.

Last edited by jmgg; 07-09-2011 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Maybe you already know this, Central is affiliated with the Reformed Church in America. I read there are 4.9 percent minority students on campus, that's from their website. DBjork08, I will get back to you on Monday with infor from my friend that lives there. That's a good idea about living in another town. Knoxville is closer to Des Moines too. I wonder if there might be some kind of residency requirement, I doubt it, but ya never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa