Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,692 times

Advertisements

We're living in Mankato, Minnesota area right now and fiance just got a job in Maquoketa. Does anyone know if living is better in Maquoketa or Anamosa? I want a job in Cedar Rapids but I don't want to drive forever either. We also want good schools for the kids (all elementary age)

We need help! He starts the 27th of this month so any and all advice is welcome!

j_and_c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_and_c2--5 View Post
We're living in Mankato, Minnesota area right now and fiance just got a job in Maquoketa. Does anyone know if living is better in Maquoketa or Anamosa? I want a job in Cedar Rapids but I don't want to drive forever either. We also want good schools for the kids (all elementary age)

We need help! He starts the 27th of this month so any and all advice is welcome!

j_and_c
Maquoketa is a nice town that is close to Dubuque and Davenport. There are great jobs opportunitys in Dubuque. Which is about 25 from Maquoketa. Did you look online to get the stats on the schools?
Mary

Old 11-26-2006, 09:54 AM

209 posts, read 1,089,245 times
Default I recommend you move closer to Dubuque or Davenport.

Maquoketa is kind of in the middle of Davenport, Dubuque, Iowa City, and The Quad Cities. It is Jackson County's seat, and holds nearly 7,000 people. Not an ideal spot to drive... Unless you like to drive long distances to work. Davenport is about 35 miles south via Interstate 61, and Dubuque is about 30miles north via highway 61. *downtown dubuque, that is* I am really not sure if ther are many good opportunities to make much money in Maquoketa. Now, I have never been to Anamosa, but have looked at its stats, 5,300 people. I suppose if you want a house in between 100K and 200K, Maquoketa is your place. Now, move to Dubuque, and they have plenty of jobs, and not to mention subdivisions poppin up just like they are in my old town in Georgia *Cartersville* It is a booming place. Davenpot, upon my level of research, the population is not rising, not falling *much* but, falling. We are in Dubuque, and sometimes travel down to Davenport *and go through maquoketa* for real shopping, but Dubuque is getting there with over 30 stores all ready added on the west side of town near asbury, and HUNDREDS of commercial lots for sale, I would imagine Dubuque's population sky-rocketing to near 70-80,000 by the turn of the decade. Also on the west side, new subdivisions on what was rural area less than a year ago. Many of these subdivisions offer great views, convenience, and 250K-500K homes. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I would not recommend you moving to Maquoketa. Travel times. Travel times.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:16 AM

209 posts, read 1,089,245 times
The schools around the major metros (Dubuque,Davenport,Cedar Rapids,Iowa City,Des Moines) are terrific. Iowa averages the highest SAT scores in the country, and the 3rd highest graduation rate in the country, behind New Jersey and Minnesota........ Schools are awesome. I used to live in Georgia (I am in high school) we move in january. or late dec.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,104 times
I think you should move to Maquoketa because the schools are safe and well there are plentied places to find jobs. Most inportantly is that there is a great place to eat at down town. It is a chinese restaurant.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,093 times
Honestly, if your fiance's job is in Maquoketa then I would move their. I (personally) would rather send my child to Maq. over Anamosa. Their is definet downsides to both, however, the jackson county fair is in maq. I am not sure if that makes any difference but its a fun time. The jones county (anamosa) fair is in Wyoming a few miles from Maq. I will agree that the chinese restraunt is awsome to eat at. Also, Anamosa has a pizza ranch. The 4h program is excellent in both counties, however, if your children are interested in horses, Jackson Co. 4H is the way to go. Maquoketa is farther away than Anamosa to Cedar Rapids. However, If you decide to live in Anamosa your soon to be husband will have to drive farther to get to work. If you would live in Maquoketa and work in Dubuque, it would be equal to that of Anamosa to Cedar Rapids. Both Cedar Rapids and Dubuque have great career opportunities.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,780 times
Default Living in Maquoketa, Iowa

Maquoketa is a very hard town to move into and try to fit in unless you are a business owner. The people of Maquoketa are very clickish. A lot of favoritism in the schools. The schools are not rated very high which is odd for a small town. If the teachers and students are not related to each other in some way than they are married to each other. Our neighbors are moving back to Virginia, they say the unfriendliness here must be due to something in the water.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,351 times
Yes I have heard the stories of Maquoketa not minority friendly and wouldn't suggest that anyone I know move there they are a racist town but Anamosa is a lot better than Maquoketa

Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen lt7 View Post
Yes I have heard the stories of Maquoketa not minority friendly and wouldn't suggest that anyone I know move there they are a racist town but Anamosa is a lot better than Maquoketa

[mod cut]

Both towns are very small and fairly isolated.

I once went to a motorcycle museum in Anamosa, it took about 12 minutes to see everything..Maquoketa has a drive-in movie theatre.

That's about it.

Last edited by ElleTea; 05-22-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 07:15 AM

389 posts, read 670,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
Now, move to Dubuque, and they have plenty of jobs, and not to mention subdivisions poppin up just like they are in my old town in Georgia *Cartersville* It is a booming place. Davenpot, upon my level of research, the population is not rising, not falling *much* but, falling. We are in Dubuque, and sometimes travel down to Davenport *and go through maquoketa* for real shopping, but Dubuque is getting there with over 30 stores all ready added on the west side of town near asbury, and HUNDREDS of commercial lots for sale, I would imagine Dubuque's population sky-rocketing to near 70-80,000 by the turn of the decade.
Your analysis is amusing at best. Dubuque at 80k by 2020? That's LOL funny. The city is at 58,000 right now and has barely grown from its 2000 census total. Dubuque's population has risen by 0.8% since 2000. Davenport is up 3.1% over that same period, and Bettendorf is seeing 9.5% growth. Dubuque is lagging behind both cities. I suppose you'll point to Asbury, but despite growing fast, that city is still smaller than Eldridge...just north of Davenport.

I'm no raving fan of the Davenport/Quad City area, but Dubuque is just downright dull compared to that area as well. There's no major concert venue in Dubuque, whereas the QC has one in Moline and a secondary venue (Adler) in downtown Davenport. Dubuque has no professionally-affiliated sports teams. The Quad Cities have two (baseball and hockey) in addition to hosting a PGA tour event in the summer.

Flying out of Dubuque's airport is a joke. You have, what, two or three flights to Chicago from just one carrier? At least the QC airport has non-stop flights to places like Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Orlando. Interstate highways? None of those going through Dubuque either. It's so isolated from the rest of the world when it comes to transportation options.

What exactly about the Dubuque area makes it so much more appealing than Davenport, especially when it lags behind in amenities like culture and transportation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa