Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:22 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
You don't happen to work at Rockwell International Collins Radio? It sound like you work with people who relocated there from other states and have advanced or engineering degrees. My dad worked there during the Apollo project years late 50's, 60's and to mid 70's. We traveled the US every year but NONE of our neighbors did. They might go to the same lake to fish every year but that was it. And we lived in a very nice middle class neighborhood. We did go to Canada once.
CR is lucky to have Collins Radio there. It brought in a higher educated group of people to settle in the area.

As you go out side the big cities you run more into the ones that have never left their county or state. We had lots of relatives like this. My aunt died at 94, never leaving the state! My dad asked her once why they never went anywhere, she said there was no where she wanted to go. I had a great aunt and uncle who got an invitation to meet with the pope for their 75th wedding anniversary. Their first trip ANYWHERE, they go to Rome with 2 of their kids to meet with the pope. (They got married at 14!)
Different time, defferent place, different values.

As I stated before, you couldn't meet a nicer more loyal group of people.

I work at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. Most of the Iowans I mentioned in my previous post are non-degreed professionals but are long-term hard-working employees. The person who takes yearly vacations to Hawaii has a manual-type job and owns his own business on the side, working 7 days a week for many years and now slowing down. His treat is Hawaii once a winter and sometimes going down south for a week. Some have spouses winning trips from their companies to Mexico or the Caribbean. Another commuter went with her husband on his business trip to Scotland last month. Families traveling to Washington DC with parents in education, insurance, and one chiropractor.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that it's not my experience that most Iowans dont travel beyond nearby states, aLthough I agree the further out from the cities this is more common.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
I'm not convinced that Iowa's populace stays at home any more than most eastern and midwest states. (I think westerners travel a bit more, mainly because many MUST travel long distances to get to a city!)

Y'all are using personal examples. I can do that too. My late wife was born in Brooklyn and lived most of her life in New Jersey. She was college educated, spoke 5 languages, was honestly the smartest person I've ever known, but in her first 45 years of life the only times she ever travelled more than 50 miles from home were to go to college (in Iowa) and to join her first husband in Germany when he was stationed there in the US Army. Her dad was a sea captain and sailed the world, but his family stayed put.

During the few years we were married before her untimely death, we travelled throughout the U.S. and Canada. She loved it, but just had never tried it before. NYC was a short commute, so she figured traveling long distances simply was a waste of time.

I spent my childhood years growing up in western Iowa, and my family did a fair amount of travel -- nothing overseas at that time, but we took family vacations all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico, and most of my friends did about the same thing. Some just prefer to stay closer to home. Nothing wrong with that. Most of us only have so much time to go and do as we please. Those who do substantial overseas travel usually do it at the expense of missing "local" travel -- the many national parks and all the "fly-over states."

Old 11-16-2017, 11:42 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
She didn’t lose actually. Trump lost by 3 mil. Trump just won in the intellectually declining states like Iowa and intellectually bankrupt states like Alabama and West Virginia which have a disproprotiate share of voting power relative to their populations, so he wins the “electoral college”.
So, in other words, he won.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
^Someone has been watching way too much CNN.
I don't watch CNN (boring), but I'm also well aware that someone who thinks CNN is fakenews is more than likely a fact-averse Trump cultist who thinks Breitbart, KKK Weekly and Russian Times are legitimate news sources.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
So, in other words, he won.
He doesn’t represent America and its values. Period.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:38 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
1960 World Series

Game 1: Pirates 6, Yankees 4
Game 2: Yankees 16, Pirates 3
Game 3: Yankees 10, Pirates 0
Game 4: Pirates 3, Yankees 2
Game 5: Pirates 5, Yankees 2
Game 6: Yankees 12, Pirates 0
Game 7: Pirates 10, Yankees 9

Which team scored more runs in the series? Which team won the series?
He still has no mandate. That has and will continue to color his presidency.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:53 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
He still has no mandate. That has and will continue to color his presidency.

He has a mandate if you deduct one county in the U.S.

Los Angeles County has a higher population than 40 of the 50 states in the U.S.

We all know how "brilliant" everyone is there. So, of course, they should dictate to the rest of the United States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_An...ty,_California

Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 AM

638 posts, read 974,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Great argument.

CNN and MSNBC are so fair and balanced that they had to cut people off who said anything negative about Hillary during last year's election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYRN8Clddw

And what's this? CNN faking news over 25 years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Lkp8Lesoo

But whatever, keep believing that the MSM is totally legit and would have no reason to lie to you about anything. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:09 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
He doesn’t represent America and its values. Period.
Sure he does....the loser crybabies are just Snowflaking out over losing to him.

Trump is your President and mine....thankfully

Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Sure he does....the loser crybabies are just Snowflaking out over losing to him.

Trump is your President and mine....thankfully
Thankfully, indeed....and yes, he has a stronger mandate than any President since Reagan early in his second term. But Trump is a better President than Reagan was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa