Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 7,119 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are seeking feedback on the Decorah and Winneshiek County area from any that can help. My wife has an opportunity to take a position at the Luther College there that starts in the fall term, so we're researching things currently and wanted to get any inputs here. We have yet to visit the area and our only roots in Iowa is a grandfather that was born and raised in Jones county many decades ago and long passed. So, no friends and the only family there are distant cousins that we do not know. Ironically, my great-grandfather owned a candy store in the 30's by the Anamosa area.

We're a married couple with a 14yo daughter, have lived in Eugene, OR for the last 4 years but spent a decade in Maine. Wife is originally from Georgia, Husband is Pacific Northwest raised. We know winter pretty well form living in Maine so it's not a deterrent, and understand the dynamics of a small town that's quite a drive from larger populaces. We're marginally active and fairly practical in needs and wants, so shopping and/or dining and outdoor venues are not a priority for us. Housing, demographics, climate...etc, is pretty easy info to locate online.

What we're really trying to determine is the community itself. Some smaller communities with a lineage history can be difficult to carve a niche into. Not concerned about employment opportunity as much as the social structure of things for our daughter in the schools there, and making connections with local peoples. The online info seems to portray a very welcoming place - but we can't determine if that's trying to drive visitors there for a brief stay, or new residents.

We're friendly and open people. Are we likely to find the same there in that area, or will the lack of family and history there have an obvious effect on our family?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
I can't be of much help, but Decorah is a nice town and the area is my favorite in Iowa -- all very picturesque. I had plans several years ago to move my business from Wyoming to Decorah. The people I met there were all friendly and welcoming, but in the end I just couldn't leave Wyoming.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:06 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
Decorah is the nicest place in all of Iowa. It really is. If you liked Eugene, you will like Decorah - there are many similarities socially and politically. It is a combination of college town, tourist town, and, more recently, retirement mecca. Downtown is thriving. There's a great bookstore. The public library is excellent. There are TONS of things to do in the area. There are always lectures and concerts and workshops and classes. There's a beautiful long bike path. There are always a lot of people biking and walking in town.

Decorah is in the heart of the organic farming movement in Iowa and is on the western edge of a large organic and specialty farming area. This draws residents who have those values to the region. Seed Savers is just north of town. www.seedsavers.org There are, of course, still a large number of conventional farms in Winnesheik county.

A poster on this forum wrote a few years ago that Decorah is divided into the kind of people who shop at the food co-op downtown and the kind of people who shop at the Wal-mart on the edge of town. Since I shopped at both I don't know where that leaves me - but that comment gives you a pretty good vision of what the town is like. The Co-op is the focal point of many in-town activities.

As for whether or not your daughter and you will be welcomed, yes, of course. Iowa in general is very welcoming, and the college does always bring in a variety of new people, and recently there has been an influx of new retirees. That said, Decorah was settled by Norwegians and the local ethnicity is still largely very Norwegian. Some find those people somewhat cold socially . . . I actually do myself. If you only know the locally born you will find some reserve; surface friendliness without much deeper interest in getting to know you. It is also VERY Lutheran. If you attend a Lutheran church you'll definitely have a leg up socially. However, newcomers can easily find a group of people with whom to socialize. I lived north of Decorah in MN, but attended the Decorah Unitarian church, which was very active and welcoming, though not a big group https://www.decorahuu.org/

In all likelihood your family will hang out with other college families, and the families of your daughter's school friends. Who those are depends on what activities she enjoys. I'm sure Decorah would be a great place to grow up.

It may be useful for you to be aware that although the nearby community of Postville has a high Hispanic population, in general Winneshiek county is very White. People of color may well feel self conscious there, although I think everyone in town would claim to not be racist at all.

People go into either Rochester, MN or LaCrosse, WI for shopping, specialty medical care, and bigger town things to do. Rochester is more up-scale, and has a good little airport, while LaCrosse has the best food co-op in America, IMHO! The roads to both of these towns are winding and not for fast driving. The roads to Des Moines are a little more convoluted, so that's not much of a destination city for Decorahns. I would bet some young people find Decorah somewhat isolated.

If you haven't discovered the Decorah Now website yet, use it to acquaint yourself with the community - and maybe even to find a house! https://decorahnow.com/

Don't worry, you'll love Decorah!

Old 05-14-2018, 06:04 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
You won't have any problems: Decorah is a college town with plenty of people who have moved there from other places. As mentioned, you'll mainly be socializing with people from the college.

That's the least of your worries. Housing will be the #1 concern, and you should reach out to the college HR and bug them about helping you find a place ASAP. Rent at first and then you can decide where you might like to live. Don't wait! The really good fall rentals get reserved in June.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:57 PM

Thank you all for the really well thought out replies, it is much appreciated!

From the research we have been able to glean it does appear to be a pretty decent place to reside. We're akin to you, 601halfdozen0theother - we would shop at both Walmart and the Co-op! There is a particular co-op in Belfast Maine we have lamented many a time not having around! We tend to fall mostly moderate and balanced in most things.

You helped with what our biggest concern is; the ease of making lasting connections. You said,
Quote:
"That said, Decorah was settled by Norwegians and the local ethnicity is still largely very Norwegian. Some find those people somewhat cold socially . . . I actually do myself. If you only know the locally born you will find some reserve; surface friendliness without much deeper interest in getting to know you."
We're not as concerned for ourselves as much as our daughter. She will be 14 in the fall, entering the middle school for one year, then on to high school there for 4 years. She's outgoing and very friendly, but the concern is if the makeup is one of being more closed knit socially, it could be hard to make those friendships that are important to a young girl. My wife has a Baptist background, and I have never participated much in Church going ons.....so we might be a step behind on the Lutheran thing. Something to definitely weigh I think.

Thanks for the tip about rentals, Meemur. We never considered there might be an issue with that as we expect to take a trip out after the Nordic Fest activities settle down and secure something. Will definitely make faster moves than that with that knowledge! Thank you!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Your daughter shouldn't have any problem making friends. My family moved to a similar small town in Iowa when I was halfway through 7th grade, and I had hoards of friends immediately. I got the the "Newk" nick (as in WyoNewk) my first day at the new school, as one classmate, who in short time became one of my best friends, called me "New Kid", which was quickly shortened to "Newk".

It's still the same... kids in small town Iowa are usually somewhat excited to have a new classmate.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Your daughter shouldn't have any problem making friends. My family moved to a similar small town in Iowa when I was halfway through 7th grade, and I had hoards of friends immediately. I got the the "Newk" nick (as in WyoNewk) my first day at the new school, as one classmate, who in short time became one of my best friends, called me "New Kid", which was quickly shortened to "Newk".

It's still the same... kids in small town Iowa are usually somewhat excited to have a new classmate.
Thanks, I appreciate the sharing of your experience!

I forgot to ask the question that's been at the back of my head - what are the common heating sources that way? Heat pump and electricity driven? Radiator? Natural gas? In Maine it was oil which was quite costly, out here in Oregon it's not as cold a climate so pretty much heat pump or electric baseboard.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
In town the heat source for most homes will be regular gas furnace. Maybe some are electric. The providers are Black Hills Energy and Alliant. It's not much different than most other towns. In the country your heat source will likely be propane, which can get expensive. Try to avoid propane as your primary heat source if you can. I looked at one house that had a combination of heat coils in the concrete flooring and a wood stove - I still regret not buying that house!

I hope I didn't scare you off with being honest about Norwegians. And that's only IMHO, anyway, and I'm an old lady. Kids are much more likely to make friends based on mutual interests than adults are, so whatever activities your daughter is into will provide her with friends. The University community is really quite friendly. DON'T think of Decorah as a stereotypical Midwestern small town. Instead, it's the kind of town where you're just as likely to see a tatted up young man with a man bun walking down Main street wearing a skirt as you are to see older farmers having breakfast at Culver's. Peaceful co-existence is the Decorah experience.

Also, Meemur is right about housing. Grab what you can as soon as you can. Decorah is so popular that housing is tight and prices have skyrocketed over the past decade. There were a few rentals listed on Decorah Now - give the landlords a call and visit with them about your needs. You can also call local realtors to ask about the rentals they handle. You will find more housing in Waukon or Burr Oak or Spillville, but try to live in Decorah itself, given your concerns for your daughter's social life.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 05-14-2018 at 10:34 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
In town the heat source for most homes will be regular gas furnace. Maybe some are electric. In the country it will be propane, which can get expensive. Try to avoid propane as your primary heat source if you can. I looked at one house that had a combination of heat coils in the concrete flooring and a wood stove - I still regret not buying that house!

I hope I didn't scare you off with being honest about Norwegians. And that's only IMHO, anyway. Kids are much more likely to make friends based on mutual interests than adults are, so whatever activities your daughter is into will provide her with friends. DON'T think of Decorah as a stereotypical Midwestern small town. Instead, it's the kind of town where you're just as likely to see a tatted up young man with a man bun walking down Main street wearing a skirt as you are to see older farmers having breakfast at Culver's. Peaceful co-existence is the Decorah experience.
Lol, thanks again for the input. So....the man bun and skirt thing is happening out that way too eh? I'm probably not that fashionable! I do like a good breakfast with plenty of cholesterol in it though.

I'm both wood stove and pellet stove familiar, so finding something with one as additional heat source would be a bonus for sure. In New England a good wood stove is worth its weight in gold when the power goes mid-January.

I think it's looking like pretty much a go on our end. My wife wants this position and I work remotely, so I imagine I can find some high-speed somewhere easy enough. The area seems more than appealing on numerous levels, and we're very fond of our rural and smaller town background and history. Finding that with additional offerings could only be a plus I imagine. I think we might adjust our planning and try to squeeze a visit prior to mid-July if housing is scarce. Prefer to rent for the first year or two versus lock into a home out the gate, but resources online are limited and it might be challenging securing something from 2000 miles away.

Thank you to everyone for the helpful input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa